Airfix Titanic: My Progress Diary

ShadowGandalf

*copy/pasted from my profile feed*

Well, I got the Airfix Titanic I had my eye on. It's the 100th Anniversary model at 1:400 scale. It's my very first Airfix and it's skill lv4, the hardest. I've made a start. So far, I've painted and built the display base, some tiny cranes, and a bunch of minute staircases that were really fiddly. I've also attached the propeller tubes and propellers to the main hull. I'll update my profile as I build more, for anyone who's interested in following my progress.

As suggested by Parker, I've signed up to Photobucket and now I can display the pics here. They're huge, so they're tagged in spoilers.

First up, the plaque on the display stand.

photo3.jpg

The Bow deck from above. You can also see the propellers I attached behind.

photo4.jpg

The tiny cranes and staircases.

photo.jpg

The hull, and sprues containing the hundreds of pieces I've yet to attach

photo2.jpg

Edited by ShadowGandalf
  • Like 4

Very cool! B)

I used to "build" Airfix when I was younger, mainly Helicopters and Planes, it's a really peaceful hobby...well, until you get to the annoying little bits that is :angry:

Can't wait to see the finished product, although I bet it's going to take some time. But that's one of the best bits about Airfix, seeing the thing you're building grow and then finally looking at it finished :yay:

Alrighty, progress update. I've been piecing together the 3 main decks that will be above the hull line. B deck, A deck, and on top, the boat deck. Here's a picture of a fiddly challenge that awaited me. I had to fix all those pieces of railing onto the back of A deck. I'm pointing at one so you can see how small they are compared to my finger.

photo0096_001-1.jpg

As you can see in the next pic, I succeeded. It was really fiddly though.

Photo0097.jpg

Here's B deck and A deck as they look so far.

Photo0098-1.jpg

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more updates as I build more. Working on the Boat deck now.

I made some good progress tonight. I've been fitting out the boat deck. Here's a pic of just that one deck.

Photo0106.jpg

Then I loosely put all 5 decks together on the hull, so I could see roughly how they'd look once the time came to fix them permanently. Here's how it looks now.

The Stern

Photo0112.jpg

The Bow

Photo0111.jpg

The Middle

Photo0113.jpg

It's really coming along nicely. Still have some challenges ahead, mainly involving the threads that represent the wires and cables.

Edited by ShadowGandalf

Another update. Firstly a couple of pics of Boat deck with all the railing pieces glued on. There were over 40 of the tiny buggers to stick in place. I resorted to tweezers for some of the smaller pieces.

The area around the second smokestack

photo0114_001.jpg

Behind the fourth smokestack

Photo0115.jpg

I also did the immensely fiddly task of threading a length of thread through the first smokestack and boat deck to achieve the desired effect. This had to be done on both sides.

Photo0116.jpg

Now just need to do the other 3 smokestacks in pretty much the same way. After that, the decks can all be glued together onto the hull, the masts attached, the thread all glued up to the masts, the lifeboats and davits attached and threaded with yet more threads, then finally, the top threads at the very top of the ship. Once all that is achieved, then the model will be complete. I started on Wed 30th May, so I've done pretty well. to get so far in a week and a half. Airfix is fun. (though tough).

Big update today... Straight onto it... the first pic shows the instruction page for how I had to feed the thread through the funnels and boat deck..

Photo0119.jpg

The next 2 pics are after I had done this for all the smokestacks.

Photo0121.jpg

and, one from above,

Photo0122.jpg

Then came the part I'd been eagerly anticipating. Fitting all the decks together. Here are 3 pics.

The Bow

Photo0123.jpg

Around the middle

Photo0124.jpg

The Stern

Photo0125.jpg

Now it really looks like the Titanic. All that's left is the final touches. The masts, threads, lifeboats, davits, a few more railings, flags.... then it's done.

Edited by ShadowGandalf

I'm getting excited. I've been building Titanic for 2 weeks now. It's very almost nearly there. I've erected the masts, and attached all the threads to them. Even added the little flags.

The Bow

Photo0127.jpg

The Stern

Photo0128.jpg

The Whole Ship from the Front

Photo0129.jpg

The Whole Ship from the Back

Photo0130.jpg

Just 2 steps to go. Firstly, the rather fiddly task of attaching and threading the 16 Lifeboats and Davits, then this step...

Photo0132.jpg

I'm quite surprised in myself, in a good way. I thought it would take me months to finish. But 2 weeks? Never thought I'd do it that fast. I'll probably finish tomorrow. As such, the next update will be my last.

• 2 weeks later...

So much for 'finishing tomorrow'. Those lifeboats are immensely fiddly. Sorry, I can't show any new pics, for 2 reasons. 1) I haven't made enough progress worth an update, just threaded up 4/16 lifeboats. 2) My pc has broke down so i'm stuck with the ps3 browser for now. I plan to get a new PC very soon.

Edited by ShadowGandalf