General Settings

• 1 month later...

No, I won't. I'm using Chrome, the most popular browser, and I expect things to work properly.

I know you're probably using your preferred browser, and it usually works fine with Chrome, but what I'm saying is it may be cache or some weird thing not getting it to work. So to get it to work, you may want to use another browser to do this one specific thing, then go back to using Chrome.

"Expect"...that shit's funny right there. You do realise the bug may lie with Chrome on your specific system setup, not with this site?

Most of us use multiple web browsers for that very reason. If Chrome doesn't play friendly, try Firefox (far more secure than Chrome), Safari (far less of a resource hog) or Opera (far...umm...less marketshare, but a great browser).

I don't even touch Chrome these days - that fucker eats RAM like Smarties and is a memory-leaking system crasher. Not to mention, Adobe Flash is embedded within Chrome, which is a MAJOR security risk. You're just asking assholes to rape your HDD by using vanilla Chrome.

Do a Google search for "Flash vulnerability", or read a couple of articles ([http://www.pcworld.com/article/2947312/second-flash-player-zeroday-exploit-found-in-hacking-teams-data.html and http://krebsonsecurity.com/tag/adobe-flash-player/ to understand why Chrome may not be your smartest choice of web browser. Both Java and Flash suffer from 0-day security vulnerabilities (meaning no patches) and neither should be installed on your system, let alone embedded in your browser where most numpties have no clue how to turn it off.

Flash is little more than a Welcome mat to hackers and is entirely redundant in the age of HTML5. That's the reason why iOS does not support Flash and why YouTube dropped Flash earlier this year.

You may dismiss this as doomsaying if you haven't been hit by a Flash security hole, but you'll wish you listened to me when your HDD is encrypted and some Russian prick is holding it to ransom, just because you visited a random website with Flash installed in your browser.

In summary...Chrome is pants. Be a big boy and try a different browser if the little circles don't stop spinning.

Am I good to use this the next time someone tries to tell me Chrome is better than Firefox?

Am I good to use this the next time someone tries to tell me Chrome is better than Firefox?

These are the interwebs...what's mine is your's :salute:

Also, this - www.ghacks.net/2014/08/04/deal-webrtc-spying-chrome/

and www.unhappyghost.com/2015/02/webrtc-killing-tor-vpn-ip-masking-privacy.html

WebRTC exposes your real IP address if you're hiding behind a VPN for things like Torrenting or streaming Netflix. Firefox has a simple toggle for WebRTC, Chrome does not. Safari doesn't use WebRTC.

You can install a Chrome extension to disable WebRTC, but again...numpties...and the extension doesn't seem to work for everyone and breaks when Chrome is updated. Additionally, Google runs thousands of STUN servers which harvest your real IP address - is it smart to use Google's web browser when they're stripping your privacy and storing your data? DON'T use Chrome if you care about privacy.

If you want to protect yourself even further, install DNSCrypt to encrypt / anonymise DNS requests and the Firefox extension Random Agent Spoofer (get the GitHub version, not the extension from the FF repository) to obfuscate system info like browser, screen resolution, screen size, browser plugins etc. Toss in NoScript and install a system-wide, browser-agnostic ad blocker like AdGuard (uses less RAM and leaks less memory than browser-based blockers; blocks ads in RSS, social media apps etc) and you're gold. 

Things have come full circle and Chrome is no longer the way to go. If you want the best and safest browsing experience, Firefox or Safari are the better, more stable choice. I personally use Safari for my vanilla web browsing because it doesn't have the bloat and memory leakage of Chrome. But when I need to protect myself and go anonymous, Firefox is optimal. Use this site to test your browser security - https://ipleak.net.

In short, Google has no interest in your privacy and they will pass on your info to those who want it. Use a VPN, disable WebRTC, disable JS (whitelist safe sites), disable IPv6, encrypt your DNS and use DuckDuckGo for search. This isn't only pertinent to those who pirate digital goodies or use Netflix in another country, but it's to keep you safer from hackers, government agencies and your ISP, who are legally-bound to store your browsing activities if you live in the US, UK, AU, NZ, Canada, Japan etc for at least a year!

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Can you not test using a different browser (not switch over for ever) to rule in or out chrome as the source of your problem?  Just testing, you can go back to chrome right away, people aren't asking you to abandon your favorite browser.

As an alternative can you try chrome from a different machine?

Basic troubleshooting bro, isolate the issue.