Helping an Old Guy out with a HDD question.

broy300

Well since Sony decided to grace PS+ user with 12 great games this month, I have decided to upgrade my HDD again. I have all ready upgraded from a 40gb to a 320gb last year so I'm pretty comfortable with the process. I do have two other questions for the community though.

1. What happens to the movies on my account? I went into the store to see If I could download them again. They do not show on my account info or my DL list. Will I have to deactivate and reactivate my ps3 after the HDD swap?

2. I have an external 640gb HDD that I used to back up my PS3 every couple of weeks. Well the cloud storage with my ps+ alleviated many of my fears. Because of this HDD swap I want to back up my system again but its not recognizing it. I tried formatting it to FAT32 but that's not working out to well either. I think if I could figure this issue out, that this might solve issue #1.

I appreciate any input, and remember one day you'll be old and out of touch also! :unsure:

Well I think I have #2 figured out.....I found a program that actually works. Windows 7 does not like to format anything larger then 32GB in FAT32.

As far as #1, not looking so hot. People might want to remember this if your HDD fails.I'm in the process of doing a systems backup and will let you know what is saved and what is not. (Thanks to WadeVC for actually reading the TOS)

SONY TOS: In addition, once Video Content has been downloaded or accessed, you will not be able to download it again from PSN without purchase of another copy.

Well I think I have #2 figured out.....I found a program that actually works. Windows 7 does not like to format anything larger then 32GB in FAT32.

As far as #1, not looking so hot. People might want to remember this if your HDD fails.I'm in the process of doing a systems backup and will let you know what is saved and what is not. (Thanks to WadeVC for actually reading the TOS)

SONY TOS: In addition, once Video Content has been downloaded or accessed, you will not be able to download it again from PSN without purchase of another copy.

That is so damn dumb.

Well, one thing you can do to avoid all this trouble is use a second PS3. Put your old HDD in the 2nd PS3 and put your new HDD in your PS3 and do a data transfer that way. Do you have any friends with a PS3? Family?

• Like 1

Broy, once you got your external HDD sorted to FAT32 your back up will basically mirror the contents of your PS3 HDD and only be a few MB smaller in size than the content on your PS3.

Once you switch over your PS3 HDD to your new bigger one, you can restore back from your external and your movies should still be there.

I would suggest you sync up your PS3 before you start all tho :)

• Like 1

Broy, once you got your external HDD sorted to FAT32 your back up will basically mirror the contents of your PS3 HDD and only be a few MB smaller in size than the content on your PS3.

Once you switch over your PS3 HDD to your new bigger one, you can restore back from your external and your movies should still be there.

I would suggest you sync up your PS3 before you start all tho :)

I'm hoping that is the case Rory. I did a backup this morning at about 194 GB, about 7 hours of waiting. will be heading to the store shortly to get a 1 TB and restoring it. I'll close this thread if everything goes according to the master plan.

Specs and Price of the HDD?

Western Digital Scorpio Blue

8MB Cache,5400 RPM

Model WDBABC0010BNC-NRSN

No problems with the drive after the format. 913 GB of space after format. Been restoring for the last 9 hours and has only went from 71% to 75% finished in the last 3 hours. So if anyone thinks this is a quick process, guess again. Just with the backup and restore over 15 hours so far. I can't imagine doing this again if I get into the 600 or 700 GB range.

Western Digital Scorpio Blue

8MB Cache,5400 RPM

Model WDBABC0010BNC-NRSN

No problems with the drive after the format. 913 GB of space after format. Been restoring for the last 9 hours and has only went from 71% to 75% finished in the last 3 hours. So if anyone thinks this is a quick process, guess again. Just with the backup and restore over 15 hours so far. I can't imagine doing this again if I get into the 600 or 700 GB range.

Glad to hear it is working out. Hopefully, everything will go as planned. Let us know if you are able to access everything.

I've always wanted to try out the HDD swap technique I mentioned above. I'm starting to run out of room on my 60GB, stock, HDD. I don't even have movies or anything stored on it either, just PSN games and saves.

• After nearly 12 hours I cancelled the restore. Seems to me it got stuck at 76%. It looks( and I use that term loosely) that everything was restored. Movies and music are there along with all my saves, game data etc. So it looks like it was a successful swap. I have randomly tried a bunch of stuff and everything works... Off to the PSN store!