Beats Skyrim?

These are two vastly different games and difficult to compare. If you want to look into which is better there's going to be a lot of bias. For some Witcher 3 players, this is their first venture into the series, they're no history with the game world and the characters and this will play into which they believe is better. Meanwhile veterans of the series will have a much better connection with it and will enjoy more how choices they've made in the past games affect their current game. With Skyrim being more of a standalone game (by that I mean that there's no history with characters and such) it's much easier for new players to get fully into it as you're not playing catch-up.

Personally I prefer Skyrim. I thoroughly enjoy the worlds that Bethesda create in each of their previous games (Fallout 3, Oblivion, Morrowind) and I find them all incredibly easy to get into. The Witcher can be daunting given the scale of it. Sometimes I'm wary of what choices I'm making because I want the best ending even though I know that I should just jump into it and if I get a bad ending that's just reason to play NG+. The steep learning curve for combat can also turn many people off within the first few hours and that will skew poll results.

• Like 2

Beats Skyrim in what? Gameplay? Story? Graphics? Characters? Voice Acting? Environment? Yes. But it's not really that hard for an action RPG to be better than Skyrim.

-Skyrim's gameplay is shallow. It comes down to mashing R1 to melee. Holding R1 to cast spells. And occasionally using a shout. The Witcher combat is way more complex. It includes a large variety of skills, and makes it highly customizable.

-The story is a personal thing. I can't say one is objectively better. That would be for you to decide.

-Graphics easily go to the Witcher. It's a current gen game, compared to a last gen game. So, no brainer there.

-The Witcher also has way better characters than Skyrim. But I don't think Skyrim was really all about the characters. Witcher is definitely more story heavy than Skyrim, so it has more focus on the different characters. Skyrim's protagonist is silent RPG man/woman/cat/lizard. So they don't really interact with the characters, and get to learn about them.

-Voice acting also goes to the Witcher. Skyrim has some of the laziest voice acting I've heard in a game. Every single male, aside from a handful, sound exactly the same. And the same thing for the females. I'm still not convinced they actually had more than 10 voice actors.

-Finally, environment. This, like story, is up to you. I'd say the Witcher has more variation in it's locations, but that's me.

• Like 3

From the investigations Ive done on both I ended up being an Witcher III fan even though I usually don't prefeer blood and gore. What I wanted was an challenging to plat game rpg which isnt just hard. I mean, I also wanted an really big map so that you can never remember every detail by yourself :P

Edited by WhyteSeal
  • Like 1

From the investigations Ive done on both I ended up being an Witcher III fan even though I usually don't prefeer blood and gore. What I wanted was an challenging to plat game rpg which isnt just hard. I mean, I also wanted an really big map so that you can never remember every detail by yourself :P

Good choice sir. I would still recommend buying Skyrim down the line also as they are both great rpg's.  

-Skyrim's gameplay is shallow. It comes down to mashing R1 to melee. Holding R1 to cast spells. And occasionally using a shout. The Witcher combat is way more complex. It includes a large variety of skills, and makes it highly customizable.

I think using the word "shallow" is a bit over the top. If you put the game on the highest diff level (Master) from the beginning and learn  how to use the skill tree (which is put of gameplay) properly, the game does change into something decent.

See, the thing is there isn't much that's actually good about Skyrim. It has a pretty world that's pretty big, and to be honest that's where the positives mostly stop. Its fundamentally flawed in every other way.

The amount of biased comments is too much here. I love how must of you just pointed out the downsides of skyrim and left out the good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...