Notification on tabs (suggestion)

afaik the forum notifications don't refresh in the background like the chat box notifications, so you won't be getting notifications unless you refresh the page manually. This would be pretty pointless tbh :dunno:

Well, if that is actually the case then it won't work but I have seen other forums with this feature (not sure if they were IPB.) Also, I think this won't be useful to everyone but I would like it to happen.

since you read left to right, and because the top panel isn't really relevant, people will likely miss the red square.

If the notifications were displayed at the top left, it would be seen easily. But the top right is one of the last area you look at when you are on a web page. Displaying it there isn't that great ;)

since you read left to right, and because the top panel isn't really relevant, people will likely miss the red square.

If the notifications were displayed at the top left, it would be seen easily. But the top right is one of the last area you look at when you are on a web page. Displaying it there isn't that great ;)

I look at the top right first o.o I blame all the manga I've read though. It's a reflex now and I don't even think about it. Don't limit everyone by your own preferences.

OT: I have no preferences either way for this, as long as it can be disabled if people don't want it.

• Like 2

I'm confused about your reasoning here... since you know that the notifications appear on the top-right, shouldn't you always be looking at the top-right if you're curious if you have notifications or not?

Edited by simply ahri
  • Like 2

I look at the top right first o.o I blame all the manga I've read though. It's a reflex now and I don't even think about it. Don't limit everyone by your own preferences.

OT: I have no preferences either way for this, as long as it can be disabled if people don't want it.

This is not a preference of any kind. Even if you don't realize it, your eyes always follow some kind of pattern when reading something. Paper new, website, everything. The top right corner is one of the least noticeable area of the screen. Search google for something like eye tracking pattern to see it for yourself.

I'm not saying that something on the top right corner is invisible. I just mean that information will more likely be missed. So basically, an important information shouldn't be put there. Notifications aren't especially usefull information (at least on PSNP), i'm just saying that they are not THAT visible :).

Also, if you follow a link to a post you already visited but where new messages have been submitted, the website doesn't even show you the top of the page:)

I'm confused about your reasoning here... since you know that the notifications appear on the top-right, shouldn't you always be looking at the top-right if you're curious if you have notifications or not?

Well, if you look for notification, of course you'll notice them. But it is not the first thing i do in here, and when i get a notification, i usually see it several hours after :P.

Edited by lesk8vaincra

I look at the top right first o.o I blame all the manga I've read though. It's a reflex now and I don't even think about it.

Lol, me too.

My thougts exactly.

This is not a preference of any kind. Even if you don't realize it, your eyes always follow some kind of pattern when reading something. Paper new, website, everything. The top right corner is one of the least noticeable area of the screen. Search google for something like eye tracking pattern to see it for yourself.

I'm not saying that something on the top right corner is invisible. I just mean that information will more likely be missed. So basically, an important information shouldn't be put there. Notifications aren't especially usefull information (at least on PSNP), i'm just saying that they are not THAT visible :).

Also, if you follow a link to a post you already visited but where new messages have been submitted, the website doesn't even show you the top of the page:)

Well, if you look for notification, of course you'll notice them. But it is not the first thing i do in here, and when i get a notification, i usually see it several hours after :P.

Eye tracking is different for every site, top right is the norm for notification/user menus.

The number in the tab is possible, but it won't update as you get notifications.

Hmm maybe I'm weird but I view the page as a whole and spot when something is different i.e. something in the top corner being red means the page changed when i refreshed and i notice it immediately.

I get the eye tracking comment, but its like a millisecond by the time i've scanned the whole page anyway, so I think way too much effort to change something that seems functional.

• Like 1

Eye tracking is different for every site, top right is the norm for notification/user menus.

The number in the tab is possible, but it won't update as you get notifications.

Well, I guess it won't work then. I suggested this so that if I'm on another website and I see that PSNP has a notification I would go see it but I guess this won't work that way.

Edited by HolyFad