Ending Discussion (Huge Spoilers)

The conversation probably takes place sometime inbetween Big Boss waking up and the events of the prologue. That's the only point in the timeline possible really. 

I'm not sure if Quiet joined XOF for revenge alone, i just thought she wanted revenge for what happened to her in the hospital.

Yeah that's the reason she joined XOF and Skull Face in the first place. It's mentioned in the tapes. 

It really wouldn't make sense if she was solely talking about the hospital. The person who attacked her and burned her was the real Big Boss, but she didn't know that. If anything she would want revenge against the bandaged man, since -in her eyes- Big Boss was just laying there after waking up.

Yeah that's the reason she joined XOF and Skull Face in the first place. It's mentioned in the tapes. 

It really wouldn't make sense if she was solely talking about the hospital. The person who attacked her and burned her was the real Big Boss, but she didn't know that. If anything she would want revenge against the bandaged man, since -in her eyes- Big Boss was just laying there after waking up.

Besides, she healed up pretty nicely, why being mad? xD

Quiets story conclusion is a bit odd, considering the Vocal cord parasites attached to her alveoli in her lungs when she spoke, but she didn't have lungs, and could've been cured easily, so it was a rather dramatic exit that took on of the best buddies out of the game.

Once she spoke the virus would begin to multiply and start infecting more people that speak English. Even if the virus didn't kill her she would still be able to easily infect people, which is why she disappeared.

Kojima called her the "main heroine" of the game and when you consider her decision to stay silent and then to leave when she did, makes sense.

Edited by Dark_Tooth69

After really digesting and thinking about the story I think I might be able to articulate how I feel about it. 

The positive

1. Great Direction and cinematography - The camera angles, lighting and the shots overall are very well executed, and every shot feels deliberate.

2. Excellent Voice Acting - The acting is so good, that even the cassette tapes clearly convey the emotions without the use of imagery.

3. The Tapes - The sound effects combined with the actors tone of voice helps bring the tapes to life and paints a good picture of what is happening. 

4. Quiet and Sniper Wolf Mirrored - Quiet's life is spared by Big Boss's Phantom and ends up growing attached to him. Just as Sniper Wolf gets saved by and grows attached to Saladin (The Real Big Boss).

5. The Legend of Big Boss Remains a Legend - The way Big Boss is depicted and described in both MG2 and MGS remains untainted. Big Boss and everyone in Fox Hound had parts of their past described in a powerful way, and it's clear Kojima wanted to stay away from that. We have memories of watching Sniper Wolf's death and listening to her story, hearing the colonel talk about Big Boss, Psycho Mantis speak of his pain/hate as a child and our minds filled in the gaps of how these characters came to be who they are. As annoyed/disappointed/pissed off/sad some people are about the ending, this was all intentional. Similarly to The Boss and The Cobra's; the rest of Big Bosses story remains a legend. One only told to us through the words of others.

6. The End and The Cobra Unit - The explanation given for their powers and how they connect to code talker were a nice touch. It was handled well and didn't feel forced down our throats.

7. Zero's Disappearance and The Transition Into AI ​- Not only did they make Skull Face slightly more meaningful by having him infect Zero, but we also got more details on Zero's creation and reliance on AI.

8. Big Boss's Death Explained - Big Boss's Phantom dying by the hands of Solid Snake gives an explanation to why he's back in MG2.

9. Quiet's Story - Her arc has great payoff and truly establishes her as a Hero. The way that you lose her and can no longer be used as a buddy anymore makes the loss carry more weight. This is intentional which is why I don't think it will be patched. It's a very Kojima thing to do.

10. Excellent Soundtrack - That really explains itself.

11. Huey Emmerich's story - The way he has evolved since PW up until now is very interesting. He has great character development, and hearing his dialogue both in cutscenes and in tapes has you doubting and double thinking everything he says; his story also wraps up very well.

12. Zero and Big Boss - The admiration and care Zero feels for Big Boss is well illustrated and leads well into MGS4. Especially the final scene in the graveyard, which feels very deliberate and combined with TPP's tapes makes the scene more impactful.

13. Miller and Solid Snake - Miller's eventual departure and training of Solid Snake is touched upon slightly. 

14. Hal's Future - Hal Emmerich's interest in mechs and robots can be connected with how much he was exposed to Sahelanthropus as a child. He could possibly relate being around robots with being around his real mother.

15. Bonus - I really enjoyed the scene at Mother Base with the infection. Especially the part where you have to shoot down your own men, but they still salute before dying. It shows how much they respect and actually care for Big Boss. Loyalty to the end as The Boss would say.

The Negative

1. Skull Face - The character had a lot more potential than what was given to us. His death feels sudden and there's not enough scenes or time with him to make it feel as impactful as it could have.

2. Many Tapes Should Be Cutscenes - A lot of tapes make sense to be presented that way. However, there are some that would have been great to have as full fledged cutscenes and would have added more to the experience. One in particular, is the "interrogation" of sorts between Skull Face and Code Talker about a cure for the parasites. That scene conveys Skull Face's manipulative personality better than anything else in the game; it would have fit perfectly before the mission where you have to rescue Code Talker, with tapes filling the gaps on how he ended up working for Skull Face in the first place.

3. ERROR 404 MISSION 51 NOT FOUND - I don't understand why it was cut. The game would have felt more complete with it included.

4. Parasites son! - Although not as abundant as nanomachines in MGS4; parasites are thrown around quite a bit to explain things. It personally doesn't bother me as much, but it's certainly a flaw.

5. Fewer Tapes Than PW - Peace Walker had many more tapes to listen to and it was on PSP. I would have liked to see more story tapes and more irrelevant tapes like the ones talking about the effectiveness of cardboard boxes and if Santa Claus is real or not; those were a nice touch in PW.

6. Fewer Metal Gear Epic Moments - There are certainly some great scenes in the game, but they were few and far between. Very strange coming from a franchise known for its epic scenes and bosses. 

7. Volgin and Psycho Mantis - Both of them were very underused, especially Volgin. As the game stands, it doesn't feel like either of their story threads had a great resolution.

8. Ocelot isn't as Ocelot as the Ocelot That we Know - His transition from Snake Eater to Phantom Pain is a little odd. He lacks the cockiness and arrogance he was known for, and somehow ends up becoming cocky again in MGS. Not the best portrayal of the character. 

9. Miller - Anger fueled Miller is not as interesting or compelling as the womanizer, wisecracking Miller we know and love. Oh and did they explain what was going on with his eyes? Or did I miss something?

10. The Skulls - They're nowhere near as interesting as Fox Hound, Dead Cell, The Cobra Unit, or even the B&B corps.

One last thing to say about the ending: 

Kojima likes the idea of a Legend; someone who's untouchable. When we played MGS, the legend was Big Boss. When we played Snake Eater, that legend became The Boss. So his approach to this game makes sense. Do you guys really want all the answers? I know I don't. 

We have to let go at some point. 

Edited by Dark_Tooth69
  • Like 1

What the fuck is this terrible garbage attempt of a story I just witnessed?... The game is great all the way to chapter 30 and after that EVERYTHING falls apart. I'm a huge fan of MGS for over half of my life. The games have impacted me more then any other story. Now I just feel empty and confused. The ending feels rushed and Kojimas brilliance is nowhere to be found. The game has the worst boss battles in the series and you dont even fight Skull Face. That would have been an awesome fight. Instead you watch him die like a bitch... From that moment forward most of the missions are just repeating the old ones. [i actually really enjoyed the extreme missions and would have hoped an extreme difficulty for the game.] reaching the end is really underwhelming and that point I didnt even care anymore. The game play is great and I really enjoy it, but this really doesnt feel like a Metal Gear game. Since this is a thread about the story I'll leave my rant about the soundtrack and voice actors for later.

• Like 1

@Dark_Tooth: Interesting read and I agree with most of your points. However, I still think it doesn't take away from the legend that is Big Boss if we know more about him. It did not take away from Solid Snake even though we know his whole story, no, it even explained more about why he is considered a legend. And I wanted to know more about Big Boss, it was promised with this game, I expected it. Of course I am disappointed. I agree with your positives, but the whole Big Boss is not Big Boss thing and some of the other negatives (no epic moments, no cameos, underwhelming bossfights) are affecting my expierence in a bigger way unfortunately.

At least in regards to the story. The gameplay is awesome. But there is just so much missing, you will end this game with a feeling of imperfection.

@Dark_Tooth: Interesting read and I agree with most of your points. However, I still think it doesn't take away from the legend that is Big Boss if we know more about him. It did not take away from Solid Snake even though we know his whole story, no, it even explained more about why he is considered a legend. And I wanted to know more about Big Boss, it was promised with this game, I expected it. Of course I am disappointed. I agree with your positives, but the whole Big Boss is not Big Boss thing and some of the other negatives (no epic moments, no cameos, underwhelming bossfights) are affecting my expierence in a bigger way unfortunately.

At least in regards to the story. The gameplay is awesome. But there is just so much missing, you will end this game with a feeling of imperfection.

Technically we still don't know Solid's full story either. His day's with Philanthropy taking down Metal Gear's aren't shown. I do however understand what you're saying; the game has a lot of flaws, many of which are a pretty big deal. In the end, it'll really depend on how badly those flaws affect your personal experience.

Technically we still don't know Solid's full story either. His day's with Philanthropy taking down Metal Gear's aren't shown. I do however understand what you're saying; the game has a lot of flaws, many of which are a pretty big deal. In the end, it'll really depend on how badly those flaws affect your personal experience.

Well said. And that being said, I did enjoy the game a lot. I loved many things about it. The gameplay was a lot of fun. It's definitely one of the best games of the year, if not the best (close call between it and Bloodborne). It just leaves a bitter taste in your mouth in the end because you expected so much from the story and they did not deliver unfortunately.

Alright, now that I thought about the ending thoroughly i'd like it if everyone could write what their complaints with it are precisely. From someone who loved it, it would add another perspective y'know.

Read the last 3 pages. I've seen threads on the mgs subreddit with hundreds of people saying the exact same thing. Nothing is inherently wrong with the twist at the end, but replaying the prologue for a different perspective only ties up a single arc, which was not needed tbh. Subtle imagery and symbolism doesn't cut it when the entire story was barren of MGS charm and devoid of any real story that fits into the universe. Imagine in ten years when people look back on MGS, even Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes further the story in rather large ways, MGSV does not. I can play the entire series and still have questions about the 84-95 period.

• Like 2

Read the last 3 pages. I've seen threads on the mgs subreddit with hundreds of people saying the exact same thing. Nothing is inherently wrong with the twist at the end, but replaying the prologue for a different perspective only ties up a single arc, which was not needed tbh. Subtle imagery and symbolism doesn't cut it when the entire story was barren of MGS charm and devoid of any real story that fits into the universe. Imagine in ten years when people look back on MGS, even Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes further the story in rather large ways, MGSV does not. I can play the entire series and still have questions about the 84-95 period.

What questions aren't answered, exactly? 

The stuff with Gray Fox and Sniper Wolf or whatever, those are all irrelevant details in the grand scheme of things. What we needed to see is Big Boss slinking into villainy and we saw that with his manipulation of Venom.

What we needed to see is Big Boss slinking into villainy and we saw that with his manipulation of Venom.

Maybe you're missing it, but Venom is rather willing to be part of the legend, as far as we know Big Boss isn't ordering him around, and motivations for MG1 are unclear, they couldve sent Solid Snake in to kill him. Anyway that alone doesn't explain why Big Boss changes so much from Peace Walker to MG2, Zero making a soldier into big boss doesn't make Big Boss a villain.

Edited by Saltyie

Maybe you're missing it, but Venom is rather willing to be part of the legend, as far as we know Big Boss isn't ordering him around, and motivations for MG1 are unclear, they couldve sent Solid Snake in to kill him. Anyway that alone doesn't explain why Big Boss changes so much from Peace Walker to MG2, Zero making a soldier into big boss doesn't make Big Boss a villain.

Big Boss identity raped his best and most loyal fan without asking for permission. He implanted thoughts in his head to mess his perception of reality, He appeals to the medic's idolization of Snake to further manipulate him into his doing. The ending strongly implied that Venom snapped and that's why he started threatening with nukes and what not, the scene with the mirror breaking and a Big Boss walking away, that's Venom turning his back on Big Boss.

There is no denying what Big Boss did was downright appalling, he's borderline psychopath at this point, weather Venom ''''likes it'''' or not.

Also without Big Boss the plan wouldn't go through.

I agree that what Big Boss did was a pretty dick move. Stealing the identity of his most trusted comrade and putting the weight of being Big boss on his shoulders without ever asking is not something the same person would have done in MGS3. If Venom is actually ok with this or not is up to interpretation but doesn't really matter here since they would have done it anyway.

Big Boss identity raped his best and most loyal fan without asking for permission. He implanted thoughts in his head to mess his perception of reality, He appeals to the medic's idolization of Snake to further manipulate him into his doing.

The ending strongly implied that Venom snapped and that's why he started threatening with nukes and what not, the scene with the mirror breaking and a Big Boss walking away, that's Venom turning his back on Big Boss.

So you're saying Big Boss did all this while in his coma? No all of your first paragraph was Zeroes plan to create a diversion for XOF, and it worked. That was not Big Bosses plan.

The mirror breaking could also symbolise Venom breaking the barrier of merely being a phantom to big boss, now he is a part of the legend.

• Like 1

So you're saying Big Boss did all this while in his coma? No all of your first paragraph was Zeroes plan to create a diversion for XOF, and it worked. That was not Big Bosses plan.

The mirror breaking could also symbolise Venom breaking the barrier of merely being a phantom to big boss, now he is a part of the legend.

The plan was finalized when Big Boss woke up. Big Boss just needed to reveal his face to break the illusion, that's literally all it took to save the poor sod, and od keep in mind they only changed his face 48 hours before the start of the game, Big Boss was awake then. Without his approval the plan wouldn't work or go through.

Considering the situation in MG1 it makes more sense for it to be snapping.

The twist also works on another level: meta.

The game subjugates us as a player, a person who bought a product, to Big Boss villainy by robbing us of that which we wanted pre-release.The ending just works on so many levels in so many different ways it saves the story tbh.

Big Boss identity raped his best and most loyal fan without asking for permission. He implanted thoughts in his head to mess his perception of reality, He appeals to the medic's idolization of Snake to further manipulate him into his doing. The ending strongly implied that Venom snapped and that's why he started threatening with nukes and what not, the scene with the mirror breaking and a Big Boss walking away, that's Venom turning his back on Big Boss.

There is no denying what Big Boss did was downright appalling, he's borderline psychopath at this point, weather Venom ''''likes it'''' or not.

Also without Big Boss the plan wouldn't go through.

There is the problem. Everything is "implied". Why is Big Boss okay with having a copy/phantom of himself all of a sudden, just a few years after he left Zero because he made clones of him???? This makes absolutely no sense to me.

What the hell is going on with Big Boss? I want his story, seriously.

• Like 4

There is the problem. Everything is "implied". Why is Big Boss okay with having a copy/phantom of himself all of a sudden, just a few years after he left Zero because he made clones of him???? This makes absolutely no sense to me.

What the hell is going on with Big Boss? I want his story, seriously.

That Big Boss died in the helicopter crash. This new one has no problems with manipulation.

I think that this kotaku article along with the numerous other posts (some of which echo the same thoughts) are 

http://kotaku.com/why-metal-gear-solid-vs-ending-was-so-disappointing-1729833383

My biggest gripe with the ending is summarized greatly by the Kotaku authors following paragraphs

"Metal Gear Solid V was always supposed to be the missing link in the series, the game that explains how Big Boss transformed from the heroic, idealistic soldier of MGS3 to the big bad villain of the first Metal Gear. As I played through Mission 43, it felt like I was watching that evolution. Here, punctuated by Huey’s screams of disbelief, we got to watch Big Boss transform from inspiring leader to cold-blooded murderer. It was a harrowing experience that, like the microwave hallway of Metal Gear Solid 4, worked best because I was playing it.

Then... well, then it turns out Huey—the only person who dared call out Snake for killing his own soldiers—actually caused the epidemic in the first place, which throws off his whole moral high ground thing. Snake does all the right things: He turns the dead troops’ ashes into diamonds, exiles Huey, and finds out that oh yeah, he’s not actually Big Boss. And then the game ends.

Turns out that while we thought we were experiencing Big Boss’s revenge-driven evolution from noble soldier to misguided villain, we were actually watching someone else entirely, which seriously cheapens the emotional effects of Mission 43 and just about everything else you do in The Phantom Pain. All those uncomfortable torture scenes and terrible decisions, like building a big, loyalty-free army and bringing a Metal Gear back to Mother Base? They had nothing to do with Big Boss.

And besides, the more you think about it, the more you realize that Ocelot and Miller were the real dicks in The Phantom Pain, torturing everyone and trying to convince Snake to murder the likes of Quiet and Huey. Venom Snake was actually... kind of a nice guy. We see him get angry and break a mirror after his whole identity crisis deal, but we never see the effects of that revelation, and we never really see him turn all that evil.

So. When the game ends, we’re greeted with a big timeline explaining that in the first Metal Gear, the villain was actually Venom, aka Phantom Big Boss. But it’s never made clear just how or why he became that villain, building weapons of mass destruction in hopes of dominating the world. (Big Boss in the firstMetal Gear, you may remember, was pretty damn evil.)

In the second Metal Gear, the bad guy was Real Big Boss. Also evil. And because we know nothing about where he went or what he did while Venom was building Mother Base, his motivations also remain unclear. In cassette tapes, both Big Boss and Zero talk about realizing The Boss’s vision of a nation of soldiers without borders, but it remains ambiguous how that vision translated to “let’s build nukes and murder people and maybe take over the world!”

Yes having to murder your own people is a pretty horrible thing to do but he didn't do it because he was evil, he did it because they were all infected, his intentions were actually good. This then transitions into not one but 2 guys going James Bond villain world dominance evil?

Let's say for the sake of argument that Venom snake has a reason to be evil (i am still not suggesting that he has one but ok) why the hell does the real Big Boss take up the crazy mantle and pickup where the double left off?

The transition they left us with is almost the equivalent of watching an Episode 1 Anakin Skywalker and skipping directly an Episode 4 Anakin Skywalker with no explanation of how things have gotten so bad.   

Edited by stitchesnscars

That Big Boss died in the helicopter crash. This new one has no problems with manipulation.

Aha. LOL

And why is that? Is it the coma that changes his personality or what exactly happened?

Seriously, I slowly start to ask myself if you really liked it or if you just can't accept the fact that Kojima can also fuck up.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there are some parts of the story that I liked, I already said that. But the whole thing is so underwhelming and underdeveloped compared to other Metal Gear games, I just don't feel it.

@stichesnscars: Well said.

Edited by PSNQuinnMcLeod
  • Like 2

Alright, now that I thought about the ending thoroughly i'd like it if everyone could write what their complaints with it are precisely. From someone who loved it, it would add another perspective y'know.

There's an ending?  :huh:

The way I see it, Chapter 1 deals with building Diamond Dogs to combat/achieve revenge against Skull Face and XOF, Chapter 2 was supposed to go deeper into Eli's story with Sahelanthropus the obvious direct link between chapters. Then going on to a possible Chapter 3 where the culmination of the story would blossom. 

Chapter 1 seems complete enough, most of the missions are just mercenary contracts in order to grow Diamond Dogs, which is understandable with a complete game. However, in the current state of the game, it means a large chunk of the content is largely irrelevant to the story. Skull Face's rather unceremonious death didn't strike me as the 'Final Boss death scene' it ultimately is either.

Chapter 2 begins to set up the Eli story, but mostly has repeated missions on harder difficulty as main content? As opposed to being side ops or otherwise optional. Then the 'Truth' mission is thrust upon you, somewhat randomly and the game ends. This Episode 51 business at least shows there was supposed to be more content, and I highly doubt it's the only thing that had to be cut. The 'ending' is abrupt and raises many questions. 

That's looking at the game as it's own entity, not even taking the wider story into account that it's supposed to fit into. Of which it performs that role in a strikingly slapdash manner.

A lot of people think the story on MGS V was weak (myself included). As a long time fan of the franchise i expected MGS V to reveal how Big Boss turns into a villain. Instead we get to play as another guy and we are left with more questions than answers. Overall MGS V is fantastic on the gameplay department (probably my game of the year) but lacks something very important that made the franchise what it is today and that's a strong story.

• Like 1

Aha. LOL

And why is that? Is it the coma that changes his personality or what exactly happened?

Seriously, I slowly start to ask myself if you really liked it or if you just can't accept the fact that Kojima can also fuck up.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there are some parts of the story that I liked, I already said that. But the whole thing is so underwhelming and underdeveloped compared to other Metal Gear games, I just don't feel it.

@stichesnscars: Well said.

Ground Zeroes ring a bell? that's the reason. The PF set up doesn't work, for Big Boss to achieve his goal, he needs a nation.

Also I think MGS3 is garbage and that MGS4 almost ruined the series. I have no problem accepting that Kojima can fuck up.;

There's an ending?  :huh:

The way I see it, Chapter 1 deals with building Diamond Dogs to combat/achieve revenge against Skull Face and XOF, Chapter 2 was supposed to go deeper into Eli's story with Sahelanthropus the obvious direct link between chapters. Then going on to a possible Chapter 3 where the culmination of the story would blossom. 

Chapter 1 seems complete enough, most of the missions are just mercenary contracts in order to grow Diamond Dogs, which is understandable with a complete game. However, in the current state of the game, it means a large chunk of the content is largely irrelevant to the story. Skull Face's rather unceremonious death didn't strike me as the 'Final Boss death scene' it ultimately is either.

Chapter 2 begins to set up the Eli story, but mostly has repeated missions on harder difficulty as main content? As opposed to being side ops or otherwise optional. Then the 'Truth' mission is thrust upon you, somewhat randomly and the game ends. This Episode 51 business at least shows there was supposed to be more content, and I highly doubt it's the only thing that had to be cut. The 'ending' is abrupt and raises many questions. 

That's looking at the game as it's own entity, not even taking the wider story into account that it's supposed to fit into. Of which it performs that role in a strikingly slapdash manner.

Eh that's a seperate discussion, if the story was sparse or satisfactory in content/length.

I think that this kotaku article along with the numerous other posts (some of which echo the same thoughts) are 

http://kotaku.com/why-metal-gear-solid-vs-ending-was-so-disappointing-1729833383

My biggest gripe with the ending is summarized greatly by the Kotaku authors following paragraphs

"Metal Gear Solid V was always supposed to be the missing link in the series, the game that explains how Big Boss transformed from the heroic, idealistic soldier of MGS3 to the big bad villain of the first Metal Gear. As I played through Mission 43, it felt like I was watching that evolution. Here, punctuated by Huey’s screams of disbelief, we got to watch Big Boss transform from inspiring leader to cold-blooded murderer. It was a harrowing experience that, like the microwave hallway of Metal Gear Solid 4, worked best because I was playing it.

Then... well, then it turns out Huey—the only person who dared call out Snake for killing his own soldiers—actually caused the epidemic in the first place, which throws off his whole moral high ground thing. Snake does all the right things: He turns the dead troops’ ashes into diamonds, exiles Huey, and finds out that oh yeah, he’s not actually Big Boss. And then the game ends.

Turns out that while we thought we were experiencing Big Boss’s revenge-driven evolution from noble soldier to misguided villain, we were actually watching someone else entirely, which seriously cheapens the emotional effects of Mission 43 and just about everything else you do in The Phantom Pain. All those uncomfortable torture scenes and terrible decisions, like building a big, loyalty-free army and bringing a Metal Gear back to Mother Base? They had nothing to do with Big Boss.

And besides, the more you think about it, the more you realize that Ocelot and Miller were the real dicks in The Phantom Pain, torturing everyone and trying to convince Snake to murder the likes of Quiet and Huey. Venom Snake was actually... kind of a nice guy. We see him get angry and break a mirror after his whole identity crisis deal, but we never see the effects of that revelation, and we never really see him turn all that evil.

So. When the game ends, we’re greeted with a big timeline explaining that in the first Metal Gear, the villain was actually Venom, aka Phantom Big Boss. But it’s never made clear just how or why he became that villain, building weapons of mass destruction in hopes of dominating the world. (Big Boss in the firstMetal Gear, you may remember, was pretty damn evil.)

In the second Metal Gear, the bad guy was Real Big Boss. Also evil. And because we know nothing about where he went or what he did while Venom was building Mother Base, his motivations also remain unclear. In cassette tapes, both Big Boss and Zero talk about realizing The Boss’s vision of a nation of soldiers without borders, but it remains ambiguous how that vision translated to “let’s build nukes and murder people and maybe take over the world!”

Yes having to murder your own people is a pretty horrible thing to do but he didn't do it because he was evil, he did it because they were all infected, his intentions were actually good. This then transitions into not one but 2 guys going James Bond villain world dominance evil?

Let's say for the sake of argument that Venom snake has a reason to be evil (i am still not suggesting that he has one but ok) why the hell does the real Big Boss take up the crazy mantle and pickup where the double left off?

The transition they left us with is almost the equivalent of watching an Episode 1 Anakin Skywalker and skipping directly an Episode 4 Anakin Skywalker with no explanation of how things have gotten so bad.   

Because Big Boss is fucked up. We see this in MGS V through his actions towards Venom, his most loyal man. The events of GZ traumatized him and warped his view.

Its very strongly implied that Venom mentally snapped/broke down at the very end of MGS V which is why he's sort of crazy in MG1.

Edited by HaSoOoN-MHD