Speedrun advice?

Crespelio-X12

quick tips that helped me....

1) what relics do you value most? personally, mine were the propeller blade and phase locket. plan your strategy with each level accordingly. only go out of your way for relics you feel like you absolutely need.

2) make sure you have absolute 100% knowledge of each map, including enemy locations (they never change). pick your battles wisely, most enemies you can just flat out skip (a la phase locket through griffins).

3) i see that it's your last trophy for the plat so i'm sure you have a great grip on the game's mechanics. do you really have to go back to the village to increase your health? i only made one trip in order to increase my health to 60 and used the rest of the gold to increase my mana. it's a long trek back, so go back only if you feel like you absolutely need to extra health boost.

4) get the silver armor that allows the hard attack after 2 successful down hits. trust me. it's a massive time saver.

5) although exiting the level will erase the amount of time spent in that level, it'll still add about 3 or 4 seconds to your overall playtime because it'll auto save after the roamers move. keep that in mind. even though it's a couple seconds, every single one is valuable in speed runs.

all i got for now. good luck :D

Edited by slashvoid-13

The trophy guide does not have any tips which I am not aware of. I want additional tips,

Did you try speedrunning yet? Because it's like you are saying that the guide isn't good enough. My friend did this trophy with a few minutes to spare on his first speedrun attempt without any problems. There isn't much into speedrunning, other than avoid fights you don't need and finishing the fights you need as fast as possible while transversing terrain as quick as possible.

quick tips that helped me....

1) what relics do you value most? personally, mine were the propeller blade and phase locket. plan your strategy with each level accordingly. only go out of your way for relics you feel like you absolutely need.

2) make sure you have absolute 100% knowledge of each map, including enemy locations (they never change). pick your battles wisely, most enemies you can just flat out skip (a la phase locket through griffins).

3) i see that it's your last trophy for the plat so i'm sure you have a great grip on the game's mechanics. do you really have to go back to the village to increase your health? i only made one trip in order to increase my health to 60 and used the rest of the gold to increase my mana. it's a long trek back, so go back only if you feel like you absolutely need to extra health boost.

4) get the silver armor that allows the hard attack after 2 successful down hits. trust me. it's a massive time saver.

5) although exiting the level will erase the amount of time spent in that level, it'll still add about 3 or 4 seconds to your overall playtime because it'll auto save after the roamers move. keep that in mind. even though it's a couple seconds, every single one is valuable in speed runs.

all i got for now. good luck :D

Thanks for the handful tips but when do you think it's the right time to go to the armoury and the upgrade store? I only intend to go once

Did you try speedrunning yet? Because it's like you are saying that the guide isn't good enough. My friend did this trophy with a few minutes to spare on his first speedrun attempt without any problems. There isn't much into speedrunning, other than avoid fights you don't need and finishing the fights you need as fast as possible while transversing terrain as quick as possible.

I tried and I already had 14 minutes on the clock by the end of the second level

Thanks for the handful tips but when do you think it's the right time to go to the armoury and the upgrade store? I only intend to go once

actually doesn't matter too much, but probably best to do so as soon as you can when you have the gold to purchase them. that way you decrease the distance you have to move on the map from the village/upgrade store to the next level you have to beat. 

I tried and I already had 14 minutes on the clock by the end of the second level

Were you able to point out whatever you lost so much time with? Because that's why the guide points out that having a backup save is recommended, so you can try the stage again to cut those precious minutes off your time. I remember my friend was constantly looking out for loot when he didn't have to, so he stopped doing it and shaved several seconds off his time. Most stuff pointed by slashvoid are meant to be done mid-later game, but you seem to need on early stages. You already have beaten the game with no upgrades, so I'm quite positive you could beat the game in SS if you want to. If you opt for not upgrading yourself (much or at all), skip all fights you don't need to face, as you won't need their rewards.

Edited by TheYuriG

actually doesn't matter too much, but probably best to do so as soon as you can when you have the gold to purchase them. that way you decrease the distance you have to move on the map from the village/upgrade store to the next level you have to beat. 

Do I need to go for gold or just skip everything?

Were you able to point out whatever you lost so much time with? Because that's why the guide points out that having a backup save is recommended, so you can try the stage again to cut those precious minutes off your time. I remember my friend was constantly looking out for loot when he didn't have to, so he stopped doing it and shaved several seconds off his time. Most stuff pointed by slashvoid are meant to be done mid-later game, but you seem to need on early stages. You already have beaten the game with no upgrades, so I'm quite positive you could beat the game in SS if you want to. If you opt for not upgrading yourself (much or at all), skip all fights you don't need to face, as you won't need their rewards.

I don't remember I beat with no upgrades, lol, I had a tough time with defeating every boss with no food plates. I should also give up on the upgrading idea.

I don't remember I beat with no upgrades, lol, I had a tough time with defeating every boss with no food plates. I should also give up on the upgrading idea.

Only give up upgrading if you feel confident about doing it without them, no point in suffering more than you have to. Well, you did beat the game with no checkpoints and without wasting gold, I'm quite sure you can pull this off with enough patience to revert backup saves whenever you waste too much time.

Only give up upgrading if you feel confident about doing it without them, no point in suffering more than you have to. Well, you did beat the game with no checkpoints and without wasting gold, I'm quite sure you can pull this off with enough patience to revert backup saves whenever you waste too much time.

I know if you press X alot you reach max speed, and I did all those no checkpoints, no wasting gold, no deaths, no platform deaths ON NEW GAME Plus that was the pain. But this one is a new save and it can get easier. Oh I need to buy the phase locket to skip fights.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm.. I might be too late but since you haven't got the trophy yet, here are some stuffs I did on my speed run:

-this might be obvious, but still a tip, spam Start Button during scenes and cutscene(?) dialogues. 

-most of the time,  :down: +  :square:  while in air is your best buddy in fighting bosses. Runner up is probably deflecting projectiles (esp. with the penultimate battle)

-don't bother much with getting Relics. I actually did My Speed run with No relic run and I didn't have much problem with boss battles since I already knew most of their attack patterns. I also find getting Relics kind of a waste of time since some of them requires few minutes just to get them (esp the useful ones).

-avoid unnecessary battles as much as possible. for huge monsters blocking your way, I prefer getting hit once, then move past the monster while invincible for a few seconds. 

-as much as possible, don't bother visiting town, IIRC what I did is I only visit it to upgrade my health when I finished the dungeons available in the area at the moment then use all my money to buy meal tickets... I think I only visited it 4 times.

-if you died and you think 1 or 2 minutes away from the last checkpoint, I recommend returning to map (or better, go to title screen) and re-do the dungeon from scratch. This also applies if you die 2 or more times during boss battles.

that's all I can think of ATM... oh... I think my time after defeating 8 kings is around 1 hour and 10~ minutes and I think I cleared the game by 1:25~

Edited by JeieeM

• 4 months later...

Just finished my speedrun to get the platinum. I thought it might be useful to post my times at each stage so people can have a timeline reference when attempting the trophy. When doing a speedrun trophy, I usually like to compare my times to other people to get an idea if I'm on pace to make it in time. I combined my speedrun with a no relic run so I didn't waste any time looking for relics or collecting gold. This is just the order I played the stages and I included the trips I took to the village and armor outpost.

Plains - 3:47

King Knight - 7:42

Spectre Knight - 14:16

Village (Turned in 3 Meal Tickets - 1 from bosses and bought 2) - 15:03

Treasure Knight - 20:27

Plague Knight - 26:32

Armor Outpost (Bought the Dynamo Armor) - 26:57

Mole Knight - 33:04

Tinker Knight - 39:34

Polar Knight - 46:02

Return trip to Village (Got 2 more health upgrades) - 46:57

Propeller Knight - 54:48

Tower of Fate Entrance - 1:01:45

Tower of Fate Ascent - 1:15:39

Final Time - 1:22:29

I made 2 trips to the Village for health upgrades and one trip to the Armor Outpost for the Dynamo armor. Once I made it to the Tower of Fate entrance, I realized that I had plenty of time so I started taking my time and didn't bother reloading saves if I died a couple of times. I ended up with almost 8 minutes to spare and you can easily shave off several minutes on those last few stages so the time isn't too hard. 

Edited by MStalker58
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Just finished my speedrun to get the platinum. I thought it might be useful to post my times at each stage so people can have a timeline reference when attempting the trophy. When doing a speedrun trophy, I usually like to compare my times to other people to get an idea if I'm on pace to make it in time. I combined my speedrun with a no relic run so I didn't waste any time looking for relics or collecting gold. This is just the order I played the stages and I included the trips I took to the village and armor outpost.

Plains - 3:47

King Knight - 7:42

Spectre Knight - 14:16

Village (Turned in 3 Meal Tickets - 1 from bosses and bought 2) - 15:03

Treasure Knight - 20:27

Plague Knight - 26:32

Armor Outpost (Bought the Dynamo Armor) - 26:57

Mole Knight - 33:04

Tinker Knight - 39:34

Polar Knight - 46:02

Return trip to Village (Got 2 more health upgrades) - 46:57

Propeller Knight - 54:48

Tower of Fate Entrance - 1:01:45

Tower of Fate Ascent - 1:15:39

Final Time - 1:22:29

I made 2 trips to the Village for health upgrades and one trip to the Armor Outpost for the Dynamo armor. Once I made it to the Tower of Fate entrance, I realized that I had plenty of time so I started taking my time and didn't bother reloading saves if I died a couple of times. I ended up with almost 8 minutes to spare and you can easily shave off several minutes on those last few stages so the time isn't too hard. 

this is exactly what i was looking for some time-stamps so i can get a feel for how i am doing - THANK YOU

• Like 1