This has not aged well and the PS3 port does no justice

Asuka Langley

• 2 months later...

I just finished my first playthrough of the PS3 version of ME1. I played the 360 version when it first came out, and I will have to agree with the OP, the 360 version did run a little better. I had my game freeze 3 times during my PS3 run, twice when I was just running around on the Normandy. That being said, there is no reason to shy away from this game for any reason. I actually own the trilogy on 360, PC, and now PS3 as well. PC is far and away the superior version, particularly with some amazing community mods. But, if your only option is the PS3 version, go for it. The series is amazing, and I personally, think the games have aged quite well. Remember that ME1 is nearing a decade old and I still enjoy it as much as I did when it was released.

I bought the trilogy a few months ago on a sale but I haven't played any of the games yet. Should I just skip 1 then? I want to get into these games and play them all, but if 1 is as bad as some say, then it might turn me away from the franchise...

If you already own ME1 you might as well play it. ME1 didn't age all that well, but it's still a good game, the series only gets better after ME1.

I Platinumed the game on PS3 and 1000/1000 on Xbox 360, so I feel I am quite qualified to talk about this.

I did not feel Mass Effect was anymore glitchy on PS3 than it was on Xbox. The game froze a few times on both consoles, it has glitches on both consoles, and it has slowdown on both consoles. 

The game is amazing, in spite of the glitches. It's worth a playthrough at least, on any console.

I bought the trilogy a few months ago on a sale but I haven't played any of the games yet. Should I just skip 1 then? I want to get into these games and play them all, but if 1 is as bad as some say, then it might turn me away from the franchise...

Don't skip it. ME1 might have a few technical issues, but the story is really good and you should try it. The plat is a pain on the backside, though.

Do NOT skip the first game for a couple reasons - it has a phenomenal story and choices you make will carry over to the sequels.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, ME1 has the best story with great campaign missions, but the side quests are really boring and repetitive. ME2 was, over all, the best in the trilogy, but planet scanning for resources was boring and tedious. ME3 had the best game play, but it was too linear with not many notable side quests (unless you count the DLCs - all of which are worth the price of admission).

Edited by Pirelli913

Create a character in ME1 and import him/her on ME2 and ME3 and be ready for an incredible ride.

If you don't care about the platinum don't bother with side missions in ME1. On the other hand, I would totally recommend side missions and DLC in ME2 and ME3.