Raid Challenges available early in December

Aranea Highwind

header_blog.jpg

“Harder” Mode

If you’ve slain Oryx, and then slain him again, you’ve likely heard some chatter about the upcoming challenges for King’s Fall. As always, we plan to keep many Raid-relevant details shrouded in darkness, but today, the Raid Team is ready to cast a sliver of light on the subject.

oryx_dead.jpg

Please welcome Lead Raid Designer Gavin Irby back to the Weekly Update. The last time he stopped by, it was to talk about Hard Mode. This time, he’s here to issue to you a new challenge.

Gavin: Hello again, my fellow Raiders! I wanted to give you a heads-up on an upcoming feature for the King’s Fall Raid: Challenge Modes!

Early in December, one of the King’s Fall bosses will offer their challenge each week. You’ll see which boss when you select the Raid in the Director. It will display next to a skull, just like one of our Nightfall modifiers. They work on both normal and hard mode, and offer rewards to match.

Each boss’s challenge requires that you defeat them in a very specific manner. How, exactly? We’re going to leave that up to you to discover (but apologies in advance to those that run the single-pool strat for Golgoroth).

Good luck, Guardians!

As stated on the Bungie weekly update the Raid challenges will go live early in December. Anyone else looking forward to the exclusive by completing this Raid challenges?

Will it be more balanced? PvP was one of Destiny's disadvantages in my opinion

That's the idea. Nerf to sunbreaker, nerf to pulse rifles, buff to auto rifles. On paper it sounds like the most balanced the crucible will be. I guess we'll have to wait to find out. Right now it's littered with pulse rifles and shotguns, yuck.

• Like 1

Will this run only in December?  Because I would love to try some of these out, but I cannot play during the month of December.

Most likely will be available past this December.

That's the idea. Nerf to sunbreaker, nerf to pulse rifles, buff to auto rifles. On paper it sounds like the most balanced the crucible will be. I guess we'll have to wait to find out. Right now it's littered with pulse rifles and shotguns, yuck.

Sadly it will be a never ending cycle of nerfing weapons. After this update shotguns are basically going to be useless on PVE, Bungie doesn't know how to balance PVP without affecting PVE players. The next thing people will complain about is about Snipers, if you have played Trials of Osiris you will notice that a Sniper rifle is the only weapon used there.

Edited by Paige
  • Like 1

Most likely will be available past this December.

Sadly it will be a never ending cycle of nerfing weapons. After this update shotguns are basically going to be useless on PVE, Bungie doesn't know how to balance PVP without affecting PVE players. The next thing people will complain about is about Snipers, if you have played Trials of Osiris you will notice that a Sniper rifle is the only weapon used there.

Yeah I love my 1000 yard stare. And that's the only thing people use because shot packaged was taken away.

Alittle late after almost 1500 hour's i quit 2 months ago i don't think i could get back into the game even if i wanted to.

I feel ya, great game but you need to put in the constant hours in to it. Are they going to release a major expansion next year retail or will they make it free? 

Edited by FlareXV

I feel ya, great game but you need to put in the constant hours in to it. Are they going to release a major expansion next year retail or will they make it free? 

Free? You know this is Bungievision, right?

Edit: We may get the smaller expansions for free, but I'm betting that more than likely we'll be seeing free stuff like the Halloween festival and we'll be left paying for all expansions still.

Edited by Rowdi
  • Like 2

Free? You know this is Bungievision, right?

Edit: We may get the smaller expansions for free, but I'm betting on more free stuff like the Halloween festival and we'll be left still paying for all expansions.

Omg, you mean a small humble company like Bungie was swallowed up by the DLC Behemoth that is Activision? 

I don't mind paying but I do hope they are clearer with their plans for next year. Also that "yearly DLC" thing has to stop, it would scare me if I was a new to destiny. 

Edited by FlareXV

Omg, you mean a small humble company like Bungie was swallowed up by the DLC Behemoth that is Activision? 

I don't mind paying but I do hope they are clearer with their plans for next year. Also that "yearly DLC" thing has to stop, it would scare me if I was a new to destiny. 

Activision published Destiny. Bungie is the developer. Also, the plans are pretty clear. Destiny>small expansion>small expansion>TTK (comet)>small expansion>small expansion>repeat four more times.

Edited by Rowdi

Activision published Destiny. Bungie is the developer. Also, the plans are pretty clear. Destiny>small expansion>small expansion>TTK (comet)>small expansion>small expansion>repeat four more times.

They are fools if they think that formula will work forever. I know Acti publish the game, lol/ 

They are fools if they think that formula will work forever. I know Acti publish the game, lol/ 

Sorry, I just answered because it seemed like you didn't know from your post. 

I'm actually really looking forward to AR's being back at the top of the food chain. They're just so much more fun to me. I've gotten beast rolls on a Dealbreaker and Antipodal Hindsight too. They just don't have the ttk to make them viable in Destiny's lag infested pvp or at least not for me. Not yet at least.

Sorry, I just answered because it seemed like you didn't know from your post. 

I'm actually really looking forward to AR's being back at the top of the food chain. They're just so much more fun to me. I've gotten beast rolls on a Dealbreaker and Antipodal Hindsight too. They just don't have the ttk to make them viable in Destiny's lag infested pvp or at least not for me. Not yet at least.

What type of gun is at the top at the moment, is it pistol?  Dealbreaker is fun, I haven't seen a lot of people use it correctly or in a lot of matches. I like the Suros Regime, best gun for me. 

What type of gun is at the top at the moment, is it pistol?  Dealbreaker is fun, I haven't seen a lot of people use it correctly or in a lot of matches. I like the Suros Regime, best gun for me. 

Pulse Rifle has the fastest ttk right now. The Bad Juju was my pick for IB last week. The Suros Regime is a good one for sure. I can't be assed with infusing mine up though and would rather wait to see if I can get a 310.

I'm really looking forward to being able to get a Hardlight next month. It was supposed to have gotten some really good tweaks with 2.0, but I got so caught up trying to get all the other y2 exotics that the old stuff got dismantled or forgotten about.

• Like 1

Oh everything is out now? I might hop on is the artifact and weapon guaranteed do you know?

Weapon and artifact are a guarantee 320 drop as long you complete the requirements. During the challenge 2 Guardians cannot hold the Aura more than once. If you haven't complete normal mode yet this week, you will receive double drops.

Edited by Paige

Golgoroth's challenge is live.

You have been Challenged!

Strategy Breakdown and Guide:

Hello Guardians, putting this here to better explain exactly what needs to happen!

Alright, so the normal strategy (dubbed 'One Orb Strategy') is that one person holds the gaze (this person is the 'Gazer'), while everyone else damages Golgoroth, and they stay in the pit until the 'Gazer' has lost the gaze. You lose the gaze when the twenty second timer runs out, and the message "You've failed to capture the gaze" appears.

For the challenge, this strategy is still 100% viable, but what changes is that each player must hold the gaze before the team fails to "capture the gaze". This means, that whoever is holding the gaze cannot let the timer hit 0 unless everyone has held it.

To do so, use the normal strategy of one 'Gazer', and have everyone damage the boss. Nominate a player to take the gaze second, and when the first 'Gazer' sees their timer hit 5 seconds, call it out and have the second 'Gazer' run from the damage pool and shoot Golgoroth in the back critical spot, to take the gaze.

At this point, all players leave the pit, and must each take the gaze once, by shooting Golgoroth in the back critical spot. Once all players have held the gaze, the final person to hold the gaze can let the timer run to zero, at which the "you have failed to capture the gaze" message will appear.

That is all for phase one, adds will spawn again, rinse and repeat the above steps.

Depending on the amount of damage you do in each orb, you will most likely do 2-3 damage rotations. Every player must hold the gaze during each damage phase unless Golgoroth dies in that damage phase.

Hope this clears it up for folks. Be reminded, this is currently considered the 'easiest' strategy, or the 'cheese' strategy.

Also, no it is not easier to pass the gaze around then do damage in each phase, because cursed thrall will spawn and overrun the team. Do damage on first gaze, then swap afterwards unless you wish to sacrifice a team member and have him be on add control vs. damaging Golgoroth.

Swapping the Gaze afterwards is very easy, you can take the gaze ASAP between all players.

Proof and Description of completed run: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/3vwpuc/weekly_challenge_mode_discussion_megathread/cxre7pq?context=3

Confirmation of One orb Strat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IFKWxs11a8

Loot: is one guaranteed 320 Armor piece (not Helmet) as HM drop, one 310 Armor Piece (not helmet) for NM drop, one 320 artifact, one emblem, one calcified fragment and normal Golgoroth loot.

Queue rants cuz Bungie said one orb strat wouldn't work :P

Original Post:

Hello Guardians!

With the Weekly Challenges being launched, we wanted to take the time to provide a nice place for discussion. For those unaware, here is why:

Main reasoning is that the way Challenge mode is completed is unknown, we will have to figure out how to complete it with the challenge loot dropping. So, I'll try to keep all the info together here, and eventually we can piece this stuff together!

Let's Raid :D

Extra Credit:

So, we got the strat down but if any beautiful people wanna try experiment, see if you can answer these:

Can the Challenge mode can be done with less than 6 people in the fireteam?

If a person dies before the gaze is taken, can it be completed with five alive, one dead?

If a person dies during a damage phase, can it be completed with five alive, one dead?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/3vwpuc/weekly_challenge_mode_discussion_megathread/
  • Like 1

Sounds like alot of weak links will get the boot this week only part of the raids i dislike is how all 6 people have to be on the ball and chance's are you're playing with randoms so that doesn't help.

Thats what I like about King's Fall. It's really difficult to carry more than one person as everyone has to do their part. Imo, it got old in CE that one person did all the leg work and the rest were there for almost no reason.

Thats what I like about King's Fall. It's really difficult to carry more than one person as everyone has to do their part. Imo, it got old in CE that one person did all the leg work and the rest were there for almost no reason.

It's like VoG was too reliant on teamwork so they made CE to fix it and then CE was too easy so they made KF.  I'd prefer something more VoG-like without the glitches.