Man, that PS4 d-pad

I tried the Eternal Slip minigame last night for the first time. So far I've been doing better using the stick instead of the d-pad. But, haven't gotten the trophies yet either. :P

Don't give up! It's a good challenge, but it isn't impossible.

But...I would think of trying out that d-pad instead of the stick.  :lol:

Slippery? meh, but painful... yes! I've never had any issues with the earlier PS controllers, but the new PS4 controller is terrible for my hand. When I use the D-pad a lot, my thumb hurts so bad afterwards, but even if I don't use it, the shoulders of the controller somehow pains me on both sides too. Probably the thing I like the least about the PS4. I really should look into getting something that allow me to connect old PS3 controllers to PS4, because Sony doesn't seem to want to allow people to use their PS3 controller. I totally get that it doesn't have some of the same features, so it wouldn't be a great fit, but damn, most games don't use those features all that much.

Don't give up! It's a good challenge, but it isn't impossible.

But...I would think of trying out that d-pad instead of the stick.  :lol:

Thanks, I haven't given up yet.

I've tried the d-pad and I was terrible on it... I couldn't even get past the slippery part in the story (one of the trials IIRC) with the d-pad. I started out that way, but switched to the stick and found it much easier. Everything I've read from people say that the d-pad is the way to go, but maybe I'm just strange. :P

• 2 years later...

I got it.  (Don't look at the dates between these last two posts tho).  :)

I did have to switch to the d-pad as I wasn't able to consistently get the "stair" parts right with the stick.  Some directions were OK, but others I really struggled with.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2018 at 6:55 PM, SnowxSakura said:

Try doing it on the dreamcast or genesis gamepad, it's pretty painful there

You know, I was thinking about that when I played this on PS4, and that probably made it easier. 

On 3/16/2018 at 6:50 PM, dmland12 said:

I got it.  (Don't look at the dates between these last two posts tho).  :)

I did have to switch to the d-pad as I wasn't able to consistently get the "stair" parts right with the stick.  Some directions were OK, but others I really struggled with.

CONGRATS, MAN! It's been years!!!!

So, I have to ask - did you leave the game on all day between finishing the course, and making it back? I left mine on for an extended period on PS4, because I managed to get through the first part fast, but had to go to work and couldn't get through the return trip as fast.

Edited by starcrunch061

Just now, starcrunch061 said:

CONGRATS, MAN! It's been years!!!!

So, I have to ask - did you leave the game on all day between finishing the course, and making it back? I left mine on for an extended period on PS4, because I managed to get through the first part fast, but had to go to work and couldn't get through the return trip as fast.

Yeah, I tried to make it back after getting "nerves of steel," but it just wasn't happening and it was getting late.  The more I pressed, the more dumb mistakes I made.  :P  So, I put the PS4 into rest mode and tried again the next day.  It didn't take me too long to get it on that attempt.

• Like 1

Ahhh the memories. I remember this one, Pier was actually the first game I tried back in 2016 when I shifted my attention for hunting ultras.

Always use the D pad for this one, sadly there's not much to say except try again and again. The return trip will feel like a walk in the park because your brain already has the timing mastered, at least this happened with me when I got the plat back in 2016

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I understand that this thread is older than the declaration of independence, but it seems like the best way to further emphasize just how much of a piece of shit this minigame is.

I got 100% on PS3 and I don't recall the d-pad being this much trash. Why does my character go up when I clearly hold down left? I know why; it's because I lean a little harder to the top of the left button, but that shouldn't matter. When I press left, nothing should register in a game besides left. Whether I stand on it, press it, lick it, roll on it, etc.

I did figure out that the bullshit option that causes your character to slide along walls upon contact is on by default and can't be turned off in this minigame. I'm 99% sure that it has nothing to do with that, but when you're frustrated you tend to get irrational.

However, beyond all that, the slippery minigame is just the icing on the cake when it comes to this garbage. I feel that the developers thought their game was a lot better/more clever than it really is, and for some reason, the inclusion of 12 minutes of this garbage minigame strikes me as proof of that. Someone over there thought it was just so much fun, so they implemented this goofy nonsense. 

It's certainly doable, but I have yet to find one person who actually enjoyed the minigame; someone who kept playing it even after getting this godforsaken trophy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17.7.2020 at 8:06 PM, Alayaes said:

I understand that this thread is older than the declaration of independence, but it seems like the best way to further emphasize just how much of a piece of shit this minigame is.

I got 100% on PS3 and I don't recall the d-pad being this much trash. Why does my character go up when I clearly hold down left? I know why; it's because I lean a little harder to the top of the left button, but that shouldn't matter. When I press left, nothing should register in a game besides left. Whether I stand on it, press it, lick it, roll on it, etc.

I did figure out that the bullshit option that causes your character to slide along walls upon contact is on by default and can't be turned off in this minigame. I'm 99% sure that it has nothing to do with that, but when you're frustrated you tend to get irrational.

However, beyond all that, the slippery minigame is just the icing on the cake when it comes to this garbage. I feel that the developers thought their game was a lot better/more clever than it really is, and for some reason, the inclusion of 12 minutes of this garbage minigame strikes me as proof of that. Someone over there thought it was just so much fun, so they implemented this goofy nonsense. 

It's certainly doable, but I have yet to find one person who actually enjoyed the minigame; someone who kept playing it even after getting this godforsaken trophy.

Ya you are totaly right. 

But the minigame was hard but fun for me. 

I did this minigame 2 Times. One for the trophie and A secon run for A Video :D