I'm going to need a bigger hard drive

Rngesus37

So I finally sprung for plus, and the reality sets in real quick that a 120 gig standard hard drive isn't going to last too long considering most of my disc games take up 4-10 gigs by themselves. So I need a hard drive mule for my PS3. Nothing fancy, probably will literally only be used for the ps3. So any recommendations for something good and cheap. I just need a usb HD right? I just plug it in and I'm good to go?

Are you wanting an external HDD or do you want to replace the HDD in your PS3?

If you want to replace your current HDD I recommend this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-2-5-Inch-Notebook/dp/B005DVJJWQ/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0

It is the biggest HDD the PS3 will support and I highly doubt you'd ever fill it. If you're wanting opinions on external drives, I'm all ears as well. I don't have any information on good ones but I assume they will all do the job just as good as the other ones. I imagine space is the only thing that really matters.

Parker

From what I know about PS3 hard drives, you can't store games on externals. You can however store saves on externals.

To swap out a PS3 hard drive, you want a laptop/notebook harddrive that looks something like [Edit, go with Parker's link, the one I posted was an older model of drive]

Of course, it doesn't have to be 1 TB, that's just what I have because I've had Plus for over a year, and the free games have started to pile up.

Edited by gamerm1337

A bit expensive but THIS is a really good HDD

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822178240

Western Digital HDDs can sometimes not work properly on a PS3, Seagate is your BEST choice. The bigger cache, faster RPM and faster transfer speeds make for smoother loading. Now if you are concerned about overheating because someone told you that the faster RPMs do that to a PS3 then you really don't have to worry BUT if you do this is a 5400 RPM which is fine too and it is also cheaper if money is an issue.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148371

Now if money is no object then I HIGHLY recommend a Solid State Drive, the BEST option for a PS3! The problem is they are uber expensive, the biggest size you can get at a reasonable price is something like this.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820147163

As you can see that is only 128GB at $143. Now if you want 500GB then prepare to have your mind blown by the price.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820147139

$720, that is insane! Again if you can do it and don't care then you will love how fast a SSD loads your games, practically on instant. When buying a HDD, or if you choose a SSD, MAKE SURE IT IS A 2.5" HDD!!!! Why, because if it is any bigger it will not fit in the PS3 which would really suck. Also PLEASE make sure you are careful when handling a HDD or SSD. Touch an metallic surface to discharge any static electricity, DO NOT drop or bump the storage device, DO NOT remove or damage ANY labels on the storage device, and finally please DO NOT drink or eat while installing the storage device. Excuse all of the line breaks, makes reading links easier.

P.S. Please take the old HDD to an electronics store such as Best Buy, Office Depot, Office Max, etc. to properly recycle it and any other electronics.

Edited by Aqua

I would recommend not going bigger than 500GB.

The seek times are quite noticeable.

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are "seek" times? Is that actual loading times in games, or is it the time it takes for an icon to load on the XMB? Or something completely different?

Thanks.

Parker

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are "seek" times? Is that actual loading times in games, or is it the time it takes for an icon to load on the XMB? Or something completely different?

Thanks.

Parker

It's everything. It's the time it takes the HDD to physically search the disk for the file/s.

Do these products work for all PS3s? Cause I have one of the original 60GB ones and the limited space always seems to be a problem, but I love that it can play PS2 games so I don't want to buy a new one. Do games stores possibly sell this stuff too (and hopefully install it)?

It's everything. It's the time it takes the HDD to physically search the disk for the file/s.

I appreciate the response, I had no idea that the size of an HDD made a difference like that.

Do these products work for all PS3s? Cause I have one of the original 60GB ones and the limited space always seems to be a problem, but I love that it can play PS2 games so I don't want to buy a new one. Do games stores possibly sell this stuff too (and hopefully install it)?

Unless you have a local electronics shop, I don't think you'll have luck with a game shop selling you a HDD or installing one. If you have a BestBuy with a "Geek Squad" near you they may install the HDD for you, but I don't think they'd back up the old drive or anything like that.

Parker

Thanks, I needed the info too, But will the back-up store my game data utility too ? Because that would be kind of nonsense since I can install my games from disc. Also that would really shrink down the size of the HDD/USB you need

Edited by Rares2cristea

Thanks, I needed the info too, But will the back-up store my game data utility too ? Because that would be kind of nonsense since I can install my games from disc. Also that would really shrink down the size of the HDD/USB you need

I believe it does back up the game data as well so that way you can just start gaming without having to worry about installing every single game again. If you're a PS+ member and you don't care about the game data, you could back up all your saves to the cloud, install a new HDD, install the game data from the game disc and then download your saves to the new HDD from the cloud. I have a ton of game data though so it would take a really long time to re-install every game.

Parker

• 2 months later...

A bit expensive but THIS is a really good HDD

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822178240

Western Digital HDDs can sometimes not work properly on a PS3, Seagate is your BEST choice. The bigger cache, faster RPM and faster transfer speeds make for smoother loading. Now if you are concerned about overheating because someone told you that the faster RPMs do that to a PS3 then you really don't have to worry BUT if you do this is a 5400 RPM which is fine too and it is also cheaper if money is an issue.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148371

Now if money is no object then I HIGHLY recommend a Solid State Drive, the BEST option for a PS3! The problem is they are uber expensive, the biggest size you can get at a reasonable price is something like this.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820147163

As you can see that is only 128GB at $143. Now if you want 500GB then prepare to have your mind blown by the price.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820147139

$720, that is insane! Again if you can do it and don't care then you will love how fast a SSD loads your games, practically on instant. When buying a HDD, or if you choose a SSD, MAKE SURE IT IS A 2.5" HDD!!!! Why, because if it is any bigger it will not fit in the PS3 which would really suck. Also PLEASE make sure you are careful when handling a HDD or SSD. Touch an metallic surface to discharge any static electricity, DO NOT drop or bump the storage device, DO NOT remove or damage ANY labels on the storage device, and finally please DO NOT drink or eat while installing the storage device. Excuse all of the line breaks, makes reading links easier.

P.S. Please take the old HDD to an electronics store such as Best Buy, Office Depot, Office Max, etc. to properly recycle it and any other electronics.

Your suggestion for a Seagate 7200 rpm 1T drive?

So I finally sprung for plus, and the reality sets in real quick that a 120 gig standard hard drive isn't going to last too long considering most of my disc games take up 4-10 gigs by themselves. So I need a hard drive mule for my PS3. Nothing fancy, probably will literally only be used for the ps3. So any recommendations for something good and cheap. I just need a usb HD right? I just plug it in and I'm good to go?

I just delete the data of games I rarely play, if I had plat'd them that is. Though my PS3 is 320 GB Slim.

You did...it was to the 500...but I was looking for a bigger one for my expansion...I only want to do this once.

While I don't recommend it, people have issues with it, you have to go Western Digital for 1TB.

NOTE: I forgot about other brands like Samsung and Toshiba, definitely Samsung is a good choice.

I've installed a Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB HDD and I've noticed no slow down on my XMB at all.

I've got over 300Gb of data on it now and it runs just as before, only with tons more room.

I think usually people experience a slowdown after 500GB of data is on the 1TB but I do notice most people who say it is slower usually bought a Western Digital HDD which I don't recommend.

Edited by Raz
  • Like 1