Tales From The Netherworld sign-up thread (Disgaea event)

myidea.png

Welcome fellow Overlords, to my Netherworld, MWA HA HA! :devil:

(crickets) :facepalm:

Okay, now that I have tried to channel the spirit of Laharl and failed miserably, let me explain the basis of this pet project. I have a few games from the Disgaea series(if you don't know what that is, ask around. I'm sure Wdjat would know, as he plays a lot of games from the creators of this series, Nippon Ichi) and plan to spend the next few months trying to platinum three of them, one for each system:

Ld9c262.pngL816c10.png
L876bfd.png

Once I get my next Platinum(LEGO Legends of Chima: Laval's Journey), I plan on spending three days a week solely on these games in hopes of getting them platinumed by the summer at the least - the Disgaea games are notorious for requiring heavy grinding as the optional bosses are insanely powerful and I will probably need to fight them all to get the platinums. (D2 and Disgaea 4 requires you to witness every special attack in the game, including some boss attacks of the optional bosses, so I'm going to have to be strong enough to defeat Tyrant Baal and his seven forms in D2!)

This thread is going to remain open until next Monday, and you can post here if you want to participate. I'd make this a We Play, but I'm going to be playing three games on different days - I'll be playing one of the above games on a certain day of the week for most of the day(do not judge, but I am on Social Security and living in an apartment complex) and trying to reach personal goals. (I won't be at my computer on Saturday as I have to babysit my mother, who is recovering from neck surgery.)

So what is this event about? Well, basically I want you, the community, to contribute their support to keep me motivated. I know that's sound selfish, so I will try to award titles and I will even save up my grocery scrapings(I get about $10 or $20 a week as 'allowance' after I do my grocery shopping) for a giveaway, if the mods will allow it. If approved, I will hammer out the details of the contest/giveaway so the people who get any prizes gave the deserved amount of support. One of the prizes will be something ordered online from the NIS America store and mailed to the winner. ;)

(If anyone can PM some tips for streaming video onto Youtube and how much it'll cost, I'd appreciate it and might actually live stream some footage. I will show off trophy screenshots.)

For now, the general support will be as follows: I plan on having each game have a mascot character who will be used in the active story mode of each game, usually a magic-user who can cast Giga Heal so he can heal the other party members. However, if you sign up, you can also submit ideas for other characters I will train to join the fight in the Netherworld(s) and participate in story maps. I am going to check each character submitted in this thread for approval and while I won't reject names outright, I will focus on names which are more family-friendly because I do get a little embarrassed with characters that have profanity in their names. That said, I don't want to reject you outright and will try to work a compromise for the name of the character.

If you want to participate but don't want to submit a character, that is perfectly fine. You can join me in playing these games(like in the We Play, I will be posting up checkpoints for each game and announcing when I reach them, so you can join me) or give advice or stories about your Disgaea experiences. ;)

I am putting up this event for my benefit, but I also want to see how many Disgaea fans are out there. If this event is a big success, I will put up similar events in the future for other games - I have both Kingdom Hearts Remixes and a ton of Ratchet and Clank games.

List of Supporters:

Han_The_Dragon: (Indirectly active)

• (Wind) Smokey: Mothman (Disgaea D2)
  • (Hand) Clair: Thief w/ Bow skills (Disgaea 4)
  • (Gun) Menphis: Nekomata (Disgaea 5)

ENinjask123: (Active, will play Disgaea 4)

Edited by DetectiveCJ

Well, I will not join actively, but will keep an eye on this, since I actually already plat the 3 PS3 and the 2 PSV games (missing D5, until I get work and start to have more money for gaming..)

Anyway I will leave here my multi-porpoise units:

"Hand Symbol" Clair - Thief (Bow weapon)
"Wind Symbol" Smokey - Motman (Shoes!)
"Gun Symbol" Dog - Fenrir
"Gun Symbol" Menphis - Nekomata

Those are almost all that I use along 6 Masked Heroes names "1","2"..."6" :lol:

Not really needed to have a dedicated healer, best to just teach heal/attack magic to the unit that you use the most (in my setup is the Thief, followed by the Nekomata/Fenrir, Motman is just an Item World base runner that I use along the Masked Heroes, but I make him earlier then the Masked Heroes, lvl of the Motman is irrelevant most of the time, but if lvl him up teach him magic and boost it to max).

Also the Thief is vital on D4/DD2 because of the all item trophies, this is the main reason to focus usage on her (higher steal rate, and steal without using Hands on DD2).

As for Baal, he isn't needed for DD2 plat (or at least his hardest version isn't, don't remember for sure) and on D4 he isn't as scary as you may think thanks to a little setup that's completely broken..

Also, I forgot, but I think the pirate invasions of D4 is region lock, so look for someone to share the 300 apt generic units for the US version, those will make everything easy, since the units that everyone shares are 300 apts + all evilities + all skills upgraded to the max!

Thanks for your contributions, Han_The_Dragon. I will put in one of those characters in each of my playthroughs. :)

I do need to review the trophy lists before I start playing, I didn't remember all the item trophies. I do know you have to watch a bunch of bad endings in DD2 to unlock all the save icons for the Save Icon Trophy and you have to save-scum because you have to use the Prinny Vendor and he's completely RNG-based. I do intend to use a thief in all three battle parties because you can't get ultimate gear unless you steal it from Item Gods anyways. ^_^

I do know that Mothmen and Masked Heroes are mandatory in Item Worlds in Disgaea because they are the only units with natural flight, allowing them to phase through enemies that cock-block your other units. Also, I am using spellcasters as I've used them a lot in the older Disgaea(the ones for PS2) but a Mothman with a max-power Magical Monster Weapon gains the same benefits as a wizard with a staff(umlimited magic range) and can escape most fights.

Forgot about the symbols, I'll have to do some sort of legend to represent them in this forum since those symbols are exclusive to the games.

Thanks again, and I'll put your name on the list. :highfive:

You've got my attention! As fate would have it, I recently acquired Disgaea 4 and haven't touched it yet, so I'll play along on that one. I don't have a Vita though, so if I were to get more games, I cannot get D2. But I can easily find the other one for the ps4! That begs the question, could I play along with Disgaea 3 so I have three games?

Anyway, the last (and only so far) game I played in the series was the one for the ds, and that was years ago. I remember only a few details from it, so all this talk about submitting a character is going over my head... Eh but I'm sure I'll figure it out as I go.

Once more, count me in!

Yay a Disgaea gossip circle! =D

Usually when staring a new game just use the preset characters till the end of story mode cuz they have no use except death bait. I do plan strategy like leveling up to the next chapter but sometimes I go over ahead for the story and struggle sometimes. =P For useful characters are a mix. Maskman and moths are good for skipping floors in the item world. I mostly use magic users for most levels since they have the far range of doing spells better than close combat. Then theres that LoC Renicarnate grind. I just pick my favorites. I pick Asagi from D3, Necromancer from D4, and Petta from DD2.

As for the trophies like Disgaea 3, Item world and the reverse pirates would takes some time. 10 billion damage as well. D4 its getting all the items and pirate parts. Boy that is painfull. DD2 eh nothing hard to be specific. Easiest Disgaea game Id pmayed. I havent started D5 yet and I really want to plat D3 and 4 from the ps3 version too.

Sorry if I miss something important..

You've got my attention! As fate would have it, I recently acquired Disgaea 4 and haven't touched it yet, so I'll play along on that one. I don't have a Vita though, so if I were to get more games, I cannot get D2. But I can easily find the other one for the ps4! That begs the question, could I play along with Disgaea 3 so I have three games?

Anyway, the last (and only so far) game I played in the series was the one for the ds, and that was years ago. I remember only a few details from it, so all this talk about submitting a character is going over my head... Eh but I'm sure I'll figure it out as I go.

Once more, count me in!

Okay, you can play along. I am playing the Vita remake, as I revealed, but there's nothing saying you can't play the original Disgaea 4 - the main story and post-game story is exactly the same, the Vita remake just includes all the special DLC and has some altered mechanics and new content which I will show off but won't affect the game. (There are also two characters you can get by having a save game from Disgaea 3 for the Vita in your file, but I won't be touching that until after I complete the main story.) If this goes well, I will work on the platinums for the original version of Disgaea 4 and Disgaea 3 as well despite how much harder they will be - I can probably snag them for cheap songs at Gamestop. ^_^

Yay a Disgaea gossip circle! =D

Usually when staring a new game just use the preset characters till the end of story mode cuz they have no use except death bait. I do plan strategy like leveling up to the next chapter but sometimes I go over ahead for the story and struggle sometimes. =P For useful characters are a mix. Maskman and moths are good for skipping floors in the item world. I mostly use magic users for most levels since they have the far range of doing spells better than close combat. Then theres that LoC Renicarnate grind. I just pick my favorites. I pick Asagi from D3, Necromancer from D4, and Petta from DD2.

As for the trophies like Disgaea 3, Item world and the reverse pirates would takes some time. 10 billion damage as well. D4 its getting all the items and pirate parts. Boy that is painfull. DD2 eh nothing hard to be specific. Easiest Disgaea game Id pmayed. I havent started D5 yet and I really want to plat D3 and 4 from the ps3 version too.

Sorry if I miss something important..

You missed the fact that Disgaea 3 is not one of the three games I am playing in this event, although it's my favorite of the series. I have the Vita remake of Disgaea 3 but I will not try for the platinum on that until after I complete this event and get the platinums for the games I have listed. I do intend to do Disgaea 3 and its remake in the future, but for now I'm doing these three games because all three of them employ a cheat shop which makes leveling less of a grind since once your characters are strong enough to one shot the usual levels, you can bump up the levels and the monsters will give more EXP as well as getting stronger. (I don't know about Disgaea 5 having a cheat shop because I haven't done any research on it yet, but NIS would be stupid not to implement it in D5 after they have it in D4 Revisited and DD2.)

And yes, I totally intend to use the Cheat Shop in these games.

Once I get my next Platinum(LEGO Legends of Chima: Laval's Journey), I plan on spending three days a week solely on these games in hopes of getting them platinumed by the summer at the least - the Disgaea games are notorious for requiring heavy grinding as the optional bosses are insanely powerful and I will probably need to fight them all to get the platinums. (D2 and Disgaea 4 requires you to witness every special attack in the game, including some boss attacks of the optional bosses, so I'm going to have to be strong enough to defeat Tyrant Baal and his seven forms in D2!)

Just a corrective note here:  You do not have to fight Baal or see his skills for the "Special Voyeur" trophy in Disgaea D2.  You don't have to do anything concerning Baal at all in D:D2 unless you really want to.  By the time you're strong enough to defeat Tyrant Baal, you should have long since knocked out every last trophy.

Okay, I'll re-check the trophy roadmap on our competitor(lol :lol:) to make sure. It's been a while since I checked, so I'd better bone up on my research before Monday or I'll be woefully in trouble. Good think you pointed out Baal being totally optional in DD2 because he's probably the hardest Disgaea boss in any game. ;)

Oh, and by the way...

And for start I would suggest you to get 16+ sets of 300 Statisticians and Managers.

I got this from a thread in the Disgaea 4 Vita board. I'll definitely remember to work on this when I can find out where to get those Innocents. I don't think you can access the Item World in any of these games until you get past a certain chapter. I know you can't access the Item World in Disgaea 3 vanilla until you get to Chapter 2.

THE PLANS:

So here is the plan for next week, the first week of the event. First off, the checkpoints. Since all mainstream Disgaeas are chaptered in the main story, the first set of checkpoints will be clearing chapters.

CHECKPOINT #1: Clear Chapter 1 and start Chapter 2

Then there will be my trophy goals. These will be the trophies I intend to pop by the time I reach the checkpoint. For Chapter 1, I'll focus on all trophies which do not require combat or require hoops to be jumped through as well as a few combat related trophies. I've already gotten the anime opening trophies for Disgaea D2 and Disgaea 4 Revisited.

Here is the plan for each week - on Monday I'll play Disgaea D2, Wednesday will be Disgaea 4 Revisited(IOW DIsgaea 4 for the Vita), and Friday will be Disgaea 5. Of course, I might play Disgaea 4 Revisited a bit on Tuesday and Thursday too as it's on a handheld so I won't tie up my TV and I need to grind more in D4 due to the requirements that you have to clear all the included extra content(The Time Leap Episode, the Netherworld tournament) as well as defeat Baal.

MONDAY TROPHY GOALS:
 * Jumping Juggernaut (Jump 1000 times in the base)
 * Cheater, Cheater, Pumpkin Eater (Use the Cheat Shop 10 times)
 * Great Conversationalist (Talk to NPCs in the base 1000 times)
 * Bringer of Life (Create a new character)
 * Baby's First Ride (Mount a monster for the first time)
 * 2 Become 1 (Use a mounted monster skill for the first time)
 * Game Over... or Not! (Lose a battle by having all your units get wiped out)
 * Statue Connoiseur (Clear Chapter 1)

WEDNESDAY TROPHY GOALS:
 * Need More... Sardines! (Lose a battle by having all your units get wiped out)
 * Prinnynapping! (Clear Episode 1)

FRIDAY TROPHY GOALS:
 * Plip! Plip! (Jump 1000 times in the base)
 * A Minor Setback (Lose a battle by having all your units get wiped out)
 * The First Alliance (Clear Episode 1)

So the event begins next Monday, I hope all of you who signed up give your support. My next post will discuss a possible contest for those who participate, so you don't feel like you're being ignored. ;)

Edited by DetectiveCJ

So it would appear that the ps3 and Vita versions of D4 have different trophy lists... As in VERY different trophy lists. Just to be clear, I'll be doing the ps3 version.

I've got another free week before I go back to college, and then life becomes busy busy. Because of that and my own unfamiliarity with the Disgaea series, my goal will be to get New Party Established (clear chapter 3) by Friday, after which I will hopefully know what I need to do for the future. Best of luck to us.

So it would appear that the ps3 and Vita versions of D4 have different trophy lists... As in VERY different trophy lists. Just to be clear, I'll be doing the ps3 version.

I've got another free week before I go back to college, and then life becomes busy busy. Because of that and my own unfamiliarity with the Disgaea series, my goal will be to get New Party Established (clear chapter 3) by Friday, after which I will hopefully know what I need to do for the future. Best of luck to us.

Yes, the Vita version also have all the stuff that was DLC on the PS3 game and that stuff IS required for the platinum, making the Vita version a bit more time consuming, since it require more LoC Item God 2 steals (for Rank 40-2 weapons and armor), the skills from all those extra characters are also needed for the "see all skill trophy" and there are trophies for clearing those extra stories.

Still everything needed (as well as the trophy guide) for D4 platinum on PS3 is applicable on the Vita version, there's just extra stuff needed for the Vita platinum.

always good to see some love for disgaea

I myself need to get back to Disgaea 5 and D2

So are you going to be joining the active participation for those games? B)

For the record, I'm not asking people to game alongside me and do the same stuff I do. If you have some trophies for the games that's fine. I just hope to see some support. I love the Disgaea series and think it should get a little more exposure. Also, I have four Disgaea games that I want on my list.

For character contributions, I'm not going to demand that everyone contributes a character or they have to do it ASAP - I can easily make a new character when someone asks for one. The trouble is that it will require me to take time to build that character up to the level of everyone else the farther we get into the game.

Other things:

1. I've been trying to import my Disgaea 3 vita save(which I created) so I could import Rutile and Stella since I want to try them out, though I got an error saying there was no Disgaea 3 save data when I hit the import button. A thread on GameFAQs told me to ignore it. I think the reason I get the error is because I haven't made a save on D4Vita yet. :lol:
  2. Once I complete the main story mode of D2, I'll take a day out to farm up Save Icons for the Save Icon Collector trophy, which means I have to go through all the story up to points and then get a bad ending and do that again and again. (I was lucky to find out that you don't need to get the Pure Flonne ending to get the Pure Flonne save icon, I got it in my other account by getting the bad ending in Chapter 8.) If anyone could tell me whether I can just save scum to get the Save Icons, that would save me time.

For character contributions, I'm not going to demand that everyone contributes a character or they have to do it ASAP - I can easily make a new character when someone asks for one. The trouble is that it will require me to take time to build that character up to the level of everyone else the farther we get into the game.

Other things:

1. I've been trying to import my Disgaea 3 vita save(which I created) so I could import Rutile and Stella since I want to try them out, though I got an error saying there was no Disgaea 3 save data when I hit the import button. A thread on GameFAQs told me to ignore it. I think the reason I get the error is because I haven't made a save on D4Vita yet. :lol:
  2. Once I complete the main story mode of D2, I'll take a day out to farm up Save Icons for the Save Icon Collector trophy, which means I have to go through all the story up to points and then get a bad ending and do that again and again. (I was lucky to find out that you don't need to get the Pure Flonne ending to get the Pure Flonne save icon, I got it in my other account by getting the bad ending in Chapter 8.) If anyone could tell me whether I can just save scum to get the Save Icons, that would save me time.

Well, when you are on post-game with Mount of Ordeals 4 (or any other name they go by in the specific game), getting characters lvl up is quite fast (and on D4 you can capture 300 apts generics from a friend pirate crew), so that will probably never be the problem.. on DD2 there's no friends pirate capture, but improving the aptitude is easier then ever, just make sure to keep the aptitude club always full of characters that you want to get aptitude with..

As for your questions:

1 - Not sure, I was never able to get my D3 save to import either.. was able to use both of them on the Pirate Tournament or something (extremely late post-game story mode that unlocks when you have recruited every single character). In this mode you use characters from other players, so you can borrow them to watch the skills, but from what I noticed, those don't appear on your Data Shop if you never imported them, so it's not needed for the platinum.

2 - I can't help you here.. when I did it was before there was any patches, and back them the number of save icons was smaller and if I remember correctly there was no need to get all endings to get save icons (you can try to play without patches until you get this trophy, also if I'm not wrong you can't use the save file of the most current version of the game on a game without patches). Also save scum is the way to go with this (like everything else on Disgaea world :lol:).

Now that I have finally gotten a decent sig and avatar, I just want to let you know that I will be putting up an official thread for the event later today, so if anyone out there is still interested, please sign up. This thread will be closed early tomorrow morning to make room for the official thread.

EDIT: I have put up the official event thread, you can go view it here. I am going to be closing this thread at 9 PM central time.

EDIT 2: Uuuuuh... how do you lock a thread? Sorry, I'm eager to close this thread but have no idea how. :(

Edited by DetectiveCJ