Final Fantasy XV will have two combat modes

Azaan60

https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/961/how-will-the-difficulty-modes-compare-in-terms-of-xp-gain-enemy-stats-damage-and-a-i 

In December I asked you guys if you had any questions for the FFXV Dev team. This question by Eraezr was one of the top voted for questions and your answer is below:

==========

The equivalent to difficulty level settings in FFXV is a system where you can switch between different battle modes. By having this ability to switch modes, we want to make it so that both players who like action oriented, technical gameplay and also those who want to fight at a slower, more relaxed pace can all enjoy the combat in their own style. This switching system is a key part of the gameplay that we decided to introduce based on the feedback we received from the Episode Duscae demo. We will go into more detail about the system closer to the game’s launch so stay tuned for more information.

Respondent: Lead Game Designer Takizawa Masashi

==========

Just bring back Final Fantasy XII's combat. It's my favorite Final Fantasy, largely due to the giant world and the battle system. 

Want to sit back, relax, and put the characters on autopilot? You can do that. Just set up specific gambits and you can do it.

Want to control most of the action, but leave certain things, such as healing or status changing, on autopilot? You can do that. 

Want to control all of the action and make it turn based? You can do that. Turn off gambits. 

It was literally the most flexible combat system in any FF game.

• Like 2

I don't like where this is going, they're listing to too much feedback and forgetting to make a game. It's almost like it's made by the fans. Nomura wouldn't have done that, I'm not criticising Tabata. I like the way he does ATR and travels to different regions around the world.That's good marketing.  While yes games tend to change during development, particularly when changing directors, What is exactly Nomura's vision to begin with? How much of the full picture of his vision did we know before TGS2014? Also for better or worse, Nomura as an artist may simply have changed his vision over the years of development (by his will). At first, I thought it was absurd for them to take that route. I know there's a wealth of talented developers behind the creation of Final Fantasy XV and like people, they are able to find out the flaws to their creation almost as much as we (the players) do. I say 'almost' because every dev of every game will always have a biased point of view regarding the supposed problem, saying it's meant to be that way and such.

After the survey & and the ATR regarding the FFXV fan feedback, most of what they said is a defense to their design choice (Cindey's appearance, some of the gameplay aspects etc.) whilst the rest (like Noctis' voice and the running mechanic) were clearly flaws that took them by surprise, which makes sense because like I said above, there are some design choices of the game in which the devs think it's fine but, in fact, it's the opposite. But in this case, there could be obvious flaws which the devs can or have already acknowledged without fan feedback..... Like the FPS drop.

There are fans who take a step too far into their 'feedback' of FFXV and suggest 'improvements' that the change does not improve on the game but rather change 'the face' of the game. This is in relation to Cindey's appearance, the gameplay system & even the main cast for the game. There are so many design choices in the game that are there for a particular reason whether it's related to the overall theme of the game, an easter egg or anything like that. Rather than being analytical, some fans decide to tackle on design choices that have no need of change just because of their personal 'tastes' whether it's one of the two sides on controversy, love/hate on something etc.

However, what still makes me not accepting this kind of method that SE is going for is the fact that they are asking fan feedback on this kind of a single player game. Stuff like finding all these problems is where video game testers come in. They do not just assess the gameplay but also give an un-biased and analytical feedback to the main devs of the game.

Additionally, they are contracted to keep any information regarding whatever they saw of the game confidential. I always believe a first impression is everything to a game, especially with single player games. If the first time you had a lousy experience, how would I have the motivation to play it again? From my experience, I just touch the game once and never again beyond unless I have a convincing reason to play it again.

For MMOs, it's different. Those games are dependent on fan feedback because potentially for MMOs, they're ever evolving with expansions, patches etc. They're dependent on long-term gameplay for long-term playthroughs. In this case, players doing the same thing over and over within a certain duration span must not feel bored during then.

I don't know their reason behind having fan feedback stuff but I need to see results first if it works. Although they have given their responses, I want to see the result on the final game itself, for the better. I'm still skeptical, though.
  • Like 1

I don't like where this is going, they're listing to too much feedback and forgetting to make a game. It's almost like it's made by the fans. Nomura wouldn't have done that, I'm not criticising Tabata. I like the way he does ATR and travels to different regions around the world.That's good marketing.  While yes games tend to change during development, particularly when changing directors, What is exactly Nomura's vision to begin with? How much of the full picture of his vision did we know before TGS2014? Also for better or worse, Nomura as an artist may simply have changed his vision over the years of development (by his will). At first, I thought it was absurd for them to take that route. I know there's a wealth of talented developers behind the creation of Final Fantasy XV and like people, they are able to find out the flaws to their creation almost as much as we (the players) do. I say 'almost' because every dev of every game will always have a biased point of view regarding the supposed problem, saying it's meant to be that way and such.

After the survey & and the ATR regarding the FFXV fan feedback, most of what they said is a defense to their design choice (Cindey's appearance, some of the gameplay aspects etc.) whilst the rest (like Noctis' voice and the running mechanic) were clearly flaws that took them by surprise, which makes sense because like I said above, there are some design choices of the game in which the devs think it's fine but, in fact, it's the opposite. But in this case, there could be obvious flaws which the devs can or have already acknowledged without fan feedback..... Like the FPS drop.

There are fans who take a step too far into their 'feedback' of FFXV and suggest 'improvements' that the change does not improve on the game but rather change 'the face' of the game. This is in relation to Cindey's appearance, the gameplay system & even the main cast for the game. There are so many design choices in the game that are there for a particular reason whether it's related to the overall theme of the game, an easter egg or anything like that. Rather than being analytical, some fans decide to tackle on design choices that have no need of change just because of their personal 'tastes' whether it's one of the two sides on controversy, love/hate on something etc.

However, what still makes me not accepting this kind of method that SE is going for is the fact that they are asking fan feedback on this kind of a single player game. Stuff like finding all these problems is where video game testers come in. They do not just assess the gameplay but also give an un-biased and analytical feedback to the main devs of the game.

Additionally, they are contracted to keep any information regarding whatever they saw of the game confidential. I always believe a first impression is everything to a game, especially with single player games. If the first time you had a lousy experience, how would I have the motivation to play it again? From my experience, I just touch the game once and never again beyond unless I have a convincing reason to play it again.

For MMOs, it's different. Those games are dependent on fan feedback because potentially for MMOs, they're ever evolving with expansions, patches etc. They're dependent on long-term gameplay for long-term playthroughs. In this case, players doing the same thing over and over within a certain duration span must not feel bored during then.

I don't know their reason behind having fan feedback stuff but I need to see results first if it works. Although they have given their responses, I want to see the result on the final game itself, for the better. I'm still skeptical, though.

I agree, although I think the reason is simpler. Square simply has no forward thinking any more. From FFXIII, they've really fallen back on this focus-group mentality, to their detriment. This is of course common for Japanese companies, but then again, it's common for Japanese companies to slow burn into oblivion. 

Back in the day, Square had a bunch of RPGs and spinoffs, which allowed them to recruit others to their flagship franchises. But we just don't see that anymore. Talent is out there, but Square just has its collective head up its derriere (I think one of the problems is that too many suits are taking over the nerds here). I can only imagine if Square was to get their hands on a Miyazaki-type, and the directions that such a talent could take them. But no - we're stuck with hacks like Motomu Toriyama. 

• Like 1