Robots in Sci-fi

Stargazer2600

So i was talking to my girlfriend earlier cause she finally completed Fallout 4 and she chose the institute. I told her i chose the railroad and when we got to talking we started talking about the synths and how they are treated. I told her that thanks to games like Mass Effect and movies like bicentenial man, I have a weak spot for helping robots. When you play ME3 if Legion doesnt make you question your morals on robots then something is wrong and in Bicentenial Man, it really pulls your heart strings knowing that he goes though so much just wanting to be a human. The synths just want to be human, they go as far as to have there memories wiped and have new ones installed. This got me thinking about how Sci-Fi is teaching us what makes us human. its not being born human that makes us human. I think Legion and such showed more humanity than some do there whole lives. I guess in a way we are taught robots = bad. but in most sci-fi they are actually treated pretty badly. I guess im just curious on what your guy's take is on robots in sci fi is. have they given you a soft spot to help them? do you care less about them? please discuss

I felt in Fallout 4 it was handled poorly. It felt like the Railroad wanted the Synths to be Human and not the Synths themselves. Atleast it was handled ambigiously I suppose, where its up to you to decide whether Synths deserve freedom or not.

While Legion from Mass Effect was better than most, I usually dislike robots that have hyper intelligence and self awareness. Ex Machina provided a really enlightening perspective, where in the film they use a Turing test to determine if the robot theyre talking to is indistinguishable from a human.

It turns out the Robot is so intelligent she manipulates the tester to free herself and escape, only to leave the tester for dead when he gets trapped, not even looking back. I guess the movie shows that while machines can be as intelligent as humans, if not more, they may never understand the sanctity of human life.

depends on the type of story youre trying to tell I suppose. I bet Detroit Become Human is right up your alley huh.

True science fiction, and not just an adventure story or a story of the Hero's Journey with sci-fi top dressing (like Star Wars is), is supposed to teach you an object lesson about the human condition through the eyes of something that's not human. Whether its that humans are just intelligent animals or what. It's kind of the point of science fiction.

So i was talking to my girlfriend earlier cause she finally completed Fallout 4 and she chose the institute. I told her i chose the railroad and when we got to talking we started talking about the synths and how they are treated. I told her that thanks to games like Mass Effect and movies like bicentenial man, I have a weak spot for helping robots. When you play ME3 if Legion doesnt make you question your morals on robots then something is wrong and in Bicentenial Man, it really pulls your heart strings knowing that he goes though so much just wanting to be a human. The synths just want to be human, they go as far as to have there memories wiped and have new ones installed. This got me thinking about how Sci-Fi is teaching us what makes us human. its not being born human that makes us human. I think Legion and such showed more humanity than some do there whole lives. I guess in a way we are taught robots = bad. but in most sci-fi they are actually treated pretty badly. I guess im just curious on what your guy's take is on robots in sci fi is. have they given you a soft spot to help them? do you care less about them? please discuss

True science fiction, and not just an adventure story or a story of the Hero's Journey with sci-fi top dressing (like Star Wars is), is supposed to teach you an object lesson about the human condition through the eyes of something that's not human. Whether its that humans are just intelligent animals or what. It's kind of the point of science fiction.

Bender Bending Rodríguez taught me all I need to know about robots. They're awesome.

I'm not fussed about the opinions on humanity, like the guy above me said, and such if I'm honest. A good, gripping scifi show can give you an idea how an AI might gain sentience and how they gain "humanity" - and that just fascinates me more than anything. The best examples were in Ghost in the Shell and it showed you how an AI might gain this independent thinking by syncing together their experiences and how each dealt with them before becoming individualised and unique. Another good example is from Dark Matter with the hot robot woman.

I can't explain it but it fascinates me.