Firewatch PS4 patch improves frame-rate and draw distance

FlareXV

That's how you know a developer cares, response has been quick ever since the release of Firewatch. I hope Camp Santo have a fruitful live in the games industry.

According to developer Campo Santo's patch notes, things like draw distance, framerate, glitches, and hanging during loading screens have been ironed out.

There's still no way to lock the framerate at 30fps, however, so it's unclear exactly how smooth this update makes the game. "We're still not done supporting Firewatch!" the developer stated on its official blog. "We're currently working with Unity on further improving the game by upgrading to an upcoming version of their engine. We're also planning to add subtitles for other languages to the PS4 version."

Firewatch-1.jpg

I'm happy that they have resolved most of the complaints people were having with Firewatch.

Source:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-19-firewatch-ps4-patch-1-02-improves-framerate-and-draw-distance

• Like 2

Not that the framerate issues were really noticeable in the first place, unless you're the type of person to watch Youtube videos with a clipboard ready to list all the reasons why people shouldn't like the game. People see "framerate issues" and automatically assume Fallout levels of issues.

• Like 1

"We're also planning to add subtitles for other languages to the PS4 version" finally! even if i understand some english i prefer to play games on my native language, is more comfortable that way, that's why i never play telltale's games until they have released all episodes together because that's when they always decide to include other languages, same thing with life is strange but it seems that they added new languages now so finally i will have the chance to enjoy it the way i'm supposed to enjoy it.

Edited by smellslikejavier

"We're also planning to add subtitles for other languages to the PS4 version" finally! even if i understand some english i prefer to play games on my native language, is more comfortable that way, that's why i never play telltale's games until they have released all episodes together because that's when they always decide of including other languages, same thing with life is strange but it seems that they added new languages now so finally i will have the chance to enjoy it the way i'm supposed to enjoy it.

That's nice to hear. Some developers just don't have the money to do things like that, especially if the game flops.. 

That's nice to hear. Some developers just don't have the money to do things like that, especially if the game flops.. 

yeah i understand that for some companies like this one, but telltale made so much money with the walking dead and other games that followed it and they are STILL releasing their games on english only at launch like if they were still a "poor" company, and i have to wait like 1 year to play them with all the episodes together and in my native language.

maybe i'm wrong and they "still don't have the money to add subtitles at first" but after all the money they made i don't know what to think about it...

• Like 1

yeah i understand that for some companies like this one, but telltale made so much money with the walking dead and other games that followed it and they are STILL releasing their games on english only at launch like if they were still a "poor" company, and i have to wait like 1 year to play them with all the episodes together and in my native language.

maybe i'm wrong and they "still don't have the money to add subtitles at first" but after all the money they made i don't know...

I totally agree with you. I guess with English being the most used (not spoken) language, people just assume that other languages aren't need as much. 

I totally agree with you. I guess with English being the most used (not spoken) language, people just assume that other languages aren't need as much. 

yes i know but thinking that way is just stupid because there are MANY people in the world that don't even know how to say hello in english so they are loosing a lot of sales by only releasing it in one language, it's pretty much safe to say that there are more people in the world that don't speak any english that people who learned it and is able to speak it (for example where i live pretty much nobody i know know how to speak english)

in the PS Store of my country there are many "english only" games with poor sales and people complaining about not buying them until they release a patch with subtitles at least, this included life is strange and now i'm glad that they finally patched it with subtitles.

yes i know but thinking that way is just stupid because there are MANY people in the world that don't even know how to say hello in english so they are loosing a lot of sales by only releasing it in one language, it's pretty much safe to say that there are more people in the world that don't speak any english that people who learned it and is able to speak it (for example where i live pretty much nobody i know know how to speak english)

in the PS Store of my country there are many "english only" games with poor sales and people complaining about not buying them until they release a patch with subtitles at least.

I agree but ask yourself, would you really buy a game that is rated "bad" even though it has Spanish voice acting or subtitles? 

• Like 1

I agree but ask yourself, would you really buy a game that is rated "bad" even though it has Spanish voice acting or subtitles? 

oh no i agree with that, i wasn't talking about this game in particular, i was talking about some games in general that are supposedly "good" but only comes with 1 or 2 languages at launch only (like life is strange) and pretty much they don't sell that good in other countries that don't speak that certain language. after i saw they added subtitles to LIS the sale numbers (ratings) in my store increased compared to when it was launched.

now i really want to buy this game, but i'll wait for a sale because it seems very short and it only has like 4 trophies to achieve, but i'm really looking forward to it now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not that the framerate issues were really noticeable in the first place, unless you're the type of person to watch Youtube videos with a clipboard ready to list all the reasons why people shouldn't like the game. People see "framerate issues" and automatically assume Fallout levels of issues.

To be fair, I just finished the game after the patch and the frame rate issues were really noticeable even with the patch.  I would be jogging along and suddenly have to wait for a three count for the game to decide to catch up to what I was doing.

• 7 months later...

Seriously? This game has a very hard time running on the PS4 and has very noticeable framerate hiccups and stutters that occur quite frequently that are very jarring.

To be fair, I just finished the game after the patch and the frame rate issues were really noticeable even with the patch.  I would be jogging along and suddenly have to wait for a three count for the game to decide to catch up to what I was doing.

I went back to the game recently and even with the latest patch installed the framerate issues are still present unfortunately.

Edited by vegetollo7

• 2 weeks later...

Believe what you want, I know what I experienced.

I played it at launch and had no issues.   :awesome:

I also even streamed it and it ran perfectly.

Just out of curiosity, can you two even tell if a game has inconsistent and/or fluctuating framerates? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm legit asking. Also, if you're interested in reading an analysis about the issues Firewatch had (and still has) on PS4, you can check out this insightful article.

Just out of curiosity, can you two even tell if a game has inconsistent and/or fluctuating framerates? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm legit asking. Also, if you're interested in reading an analysis about the issues Firewatch had (and still has) on PS4, you can check out this insightful article.

If there's an inconsistency with the gameplay that is 100% noticeable, then I'll be disappointed because I wouldn't finish the game. This compared to some other games I've played that are pretty damn choppy/laggy for no apparent reason/etc.. I had absolutely no problem with this game what so ever. I'm not sitting there and staring at my screen, looking for inconsistencies that are barely noticeable.

Edit: I watched the video that was in that article and I can completely see why I didn't notice anything.. It's because I was actually paying attention to the story and my eyes were always wondering to different things. The stuff like this doesn't make the game unplayable. Personally me as a person, it keeps me distracted from some of the small things that are going on with the game, but imo it was so suttle(idk how to spell this word, suggested words isn't helping) that it did not bother me.

Edited by DuckSwimmer