Did this annoy anyone else?

Alex_Fyrehart

So, I'm playing through Ratchet & Clank for the first time at the moment, and I'm up to the final boss.....

Anyone else get really friggin' annoyed by how, if you die during the boss fight, you practically have to do the entire thing over again? I mean sure, the boss fight itself isn't exactly all that long compared to others, but bloody hell. It gets pretty damn tedious having to do most of it over and over and over again. Also a waste of bolts.

I didn't necessarily rage quit, but I did basically tell the game to go fuck itself and stopped playing. lol. Just too damn tired today to put up with that tedium for much longer. Almost as annoying as the Rayman 3 end fight. lol.

So yeah, did anyone else find this boss fight annoying/and or tedious?

Good point I guess. lol. Getting enough bolts for the thing might take a while though. Granted I'm not doing too bad at the moment I think. Already got about 30-40,000 bolts again from pretty much nothing just from the last two planets I was on alone. Helped that it took me a bajillion tries to win that race on one of the later planets to get a gadget you need. Got about 10,000 from that by the time I was done. :P

Edited by Thomas_Fyrehart

Good point I guess. lol. Getting enough bolts for the thing might take a while though. Granted I'm not doing too bad at the moment I think. Already got about 30-40,000 bolts again from pretty much nothing just from the last two planets I was on alone. Helped that it took me a bajillion tries to win that race on one of the later planets to get a gadget you need. Got about 10,000 from that by the time I was done. :P

You could always do the bolt glitch :) If you are going for the platinum you need a ton of bolts anyways

• Like 2

To be honest after seeing that video earlier and how long it would take, I don't think I'd use the glitch. Or at least I'd use it to help me along but not to actually get the entire million with. Not really willing to leave a console on for 5-8 hours just to get a trophy. lol.

I don't remember much of it since its like 3 years ago but i don't remember having trouble beating the final boss even without the Ryno. The only thing you have to do is dodge his attacks. I think i only died once and after that i kinda knew the attacks he was doing and how to dodge them.

The RYNO makes that boss fight so easy, it's not even fun anymore *remembers first time fighting the boss and getting killed over and over again* ... no wait, I take that back. It was loads of fun blasting him with homing missles.

I probably used about every weapon to defeat him lol except for the Ryno which i didnt have at that time.

If there's one thing I've noticed it's that the Tesla Claw is pretty effective at getting his health down in the first two portions. Though by then you usually have bugger all of it left. Still, saves ammo on the other weapons at least. lol.

And it's more a pain when you get to the 3rd section of the fight, since he starts throwing a crap load of (albeit easily killed) enemies at you. Plus those spike ball things.

I'm finding this game generally quite challenging on Vita - very annoying to be sent back to the start of a level every time you die. Hopefully it'll get easier now that I have 5HP instead of just 4HP. 

Might use that glitch to get me to 1M bolts now tho. Get that trophy out the way then buy all the good stuff. I've been trying to get by with just the blaster and a few other basic weapons. From the comments here, perhaps that's the wrong way to go.

I'm finding this game generally quite challenging on Vita - very annoying to be sent back to the start of a level every time you die. Hopefully it'll get easier now that I have 5HP instead of just 4HP. 

Might use that glitch to get me to 1M bolts now tho. Get that trophy out the way then buy all the good stuff. I've been trying to get by with just the blaster and a few other basic weapons. From the comments here, perhaps that's the wrong way to go.

I went through the game with the blaster, devastator, suck cannon, tesla claw, and decoy glove. Saved all the other bolts for the RYNO. The vita version has retarded controls, so that might make it a bit harder.

Nah I'm cool with it, playing Flame Over at the moment and if you die once, you have to start the whole game over :P

That's usually the case with roguelike games.

• Like 1

I went through the game with the blaster, devastator, suck cannon, tesla claw, and decoy glove. Saved all the other bolts for the RYNO. The vita version has retarded controls, so that might make it a bit harder.

Ah, see, now I've been spending so many bolts on ammo I don't have the claw or the decoy glove. The devastator is great, but I run out of ammo way too fast, then have to buy more. That's where my bolts go... :(

Ah, see, now I've been spending so many bolts on ammo I don't have the claw or the decoy glove. The devastator is great, but I run out of ammo way too fast, then have to buy more. That's where my bolts go... :(

Yeah the devastator is really amazing, but I only used it in emergencies. Relied on the wrench, blaster, and suck cannon most of the time. The suck cannon can use crates and small enemies as ammo, which is great. I really do recommend to add a weapon that's stronger than the blaster so you won't have to rely on the devastator that much.

Ended up just trophy hunting for a while when I played again about an hour ago. Got about 3 or 4. Apparently the "Speedy" one is hard to get. When I followed a way a video showed me I ended up accidentally doing better than the person by like...57 milliseconds or something. lol. Dunno how the hell I managed that.

Seriously, getting some punishment for dying just makes you care more about not dying. So many games hold your hands these days, many with several checkpoints for a short boss. I remember I played through The Darkness II on hardest difficulty. I think I died like 3 times? I can't remember, but it was something like that, and I lost like less than 30 seconds of progress total because of it. One of the times it was against a boss, and I could continue fighting the boss as it was half dead already, but now I got all my health back! Yeah, that totally ruins the game IMO. This stuff is also a reason why I really don't like the FFXIII games. You start with full health each battle, there's no MP to conserve, and there's absolutely no punishment for dying. You can just exit the fight and pretend like you never started the fight with the enemy in the first place. While in many of the older games you had some areas, often harder parts of the game or hard optional areas, where you had to survive through a ton of hard random battles, just to face off against some boss. It really mattered how well you played and didn't screw up etc.

• Like 1

This stuff is also a reason why I really don't like the FFXIII games. You start with full health each battle, there's no MP to conserve, and there's absolutely no punishment for dying. You can just exit the fight and pretend like you never started the fight with the enemy in the first place. While in many of the older games you had some areas, often harder parts of the game or hard optional areas, where you had to survive through a ton of hard random battles, just to face off against some boss. It really mattered how well you played and didn't screw up etc.

If I remember correct, FF13 and 13-2 the party isn't healed after every fight and losing means restarting from the last save. It's been a long time since I played those games, so I could be mistaken.

:huh: Wuh?

:blink: Uh?

:facepalm: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.....

Will have to try that out next time I play.

Lol, you didn't know that? So how did you use the suck cannon so far?

Lol, you didn't know that? So how did you use the suck cannon so far?

I haven't been. There was a gap of a many months where I must've forgotten that it did that. Going back to it recently, I assumed I'd needed it for some puzzle or other, and I haven't been using it since.

• Like 1

I haven't been. There was a gap of a many months where I must've forgotten that it did that. Going back to it recently, I assumed I'd needed it for some puzzle or other, and I haven't been using it since.

I see. You should know that once you stop pressing  :r1: , the suck cannon will automatically switch to shooting mode and fire a projectile (provided you sucked an enemy/crate first). So you can't absorb an enemy, quit pressing :r1: and press it again to continue absorbing. 

If I remember correct, FF13 and 13-2 the party isn't healed after every fight and losing means restarting from the last save. It's been a long time since I played those games, so I could be mistaken.

Then you remember incorrectly.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/928790-final-fantasy-xiii/answers/178050-is-there-any-penalty-for-dying-in-this-game

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff13/reviews/ff13strev2.html

"Characters being restored to full health after each battle..."

Edited by MMDE

You're mistaken.  FFXIII and FFXIII-2 is healed after each fight and you get a "Retry" option for the fight which puts you back outside the fight I think so you can activate it again.  It used to be the way you thinking in the older FF games.

• Like 1

You're mistaken.  FFXIII and FFXIII-2 is healed after each fight and you get a "Retry" option for the fight which puts you back outside the fight I think so you can activate it again.  It used to be the way you thinking in the older FF games.

I see, must've mixed it up with another FF game.

"Characters being restored to full health after each battle..."

I'm not completely aganist this mechanic, but again, it depends on the game. It may be bad in FFXIII \ XIII-2 (haven't played them yet, so I can't really say), but in Baten Kaitos Origins, for example, it's an absolute lifesaver, because you can't heal on the field and the battles there often range from pretty hard to extremely brutal. 

Edited by NetEntity
  • Like 1