Oddworld: Soulstorm - Announcement and tease

StrickenBiged

Oddworld Inhabitants, the publisher which handles the Oddworld series of games, has today announced a new game in the franchise. 

The publisher has thrown up a website although it doesn't reveal much of anything except a few tantalising, blurred images of the new, apparently redesigned, Abe. If the publisher's twitter account receives enough followers, it promises to reveal the new-look Abe's hands, chest and face. 

They also put up the follow press release:

San Francisco, March 14th 2016

Oddworld Inhabitants Inc. are today proud to announce Oddworld: Soulstorm, now being co-developed by Oddworld’s own internal teams in California and the UK; and in conjunction with Frima Studio in Québec, Canada.

A follow-up to the critically acclaimed* release of Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty, Oddworld: Soulstorm[/size] picks up from Abe’s genesis and directly follows on from the overthrow of RuptureFarms and the liberation of his blighted workmates.

Having defeated Molluck The Glukkon, his former boss and RuptureFarms’ meanest inhabitant, Abe soon finds himself - along with 300 newly emancipated Mudokons - without food, water or a place to call home. Stranded alone in the desert, they find solace in a strange new brew - a delicious drink that has insidious ramifications for their newfound freedom.
"There was a deeper, darker, and more sinister story that we never got to tell," explains series creator, Lorne Lanning. "Soulstorm[/size] gives us the opportunity to flesh out more meat on the bones of an original spine, but re-tell the fable from a very different angle."

"Abe has a long way to go and plenty more adversity ahead. Soulstorm is going to be a much heavier trip for him."

Oddworld: Soulstorm[/size] will continue to chew up the themes of environmentalism, capitalism, consumerism and addiction that critics and fans found so engaging in the "AAA Indie" release of Oddworld’s last pensive platformer, New ’n’ Tasty.

"We can’t wait to show you what we’ve got planned for Soulstorm[/size]" says executive producer Bennie Terry.

"We think Oddworld fans are really going to dig what we’re brewing, and we’ve got some great surprises in store this time around we don’t think anybody’s going to predict," he added. "I've been tasting it, and it's definitely got twice the twisted flavor."

Soulstorm, the highly volatile new game from Oddworld, is slated to explode in the latter half of 2017.

To feel the heat, please see our website at oddworld.com and follow us on Twitter andFacebook, where we will be revealing an all new Abe for Soulstorm. For details, please check oddworld.com.

What this seems to suggest is that Soulstorm will be a re-imagining of Abe's Exoddus, which follows on from the end of New 'n' Tasty rather than from the original Abe's Oddysee. (Recall that there were 300 Mudokons to save in New 'n' Tasty, and only 99 in Oddysee.) They're promising the most twisted and dark Oddworld adventure yet, which is hopefully a sign that they appreciate that their audience has aged since the original oddities and that fart jokes might not cut the cheese mustard like they used to. 

Unfortunately, they're aiming for a "latter half of 2017" release. 

Still, the hype train has got to start somewhere... right?

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 2

Yeah, it's definitely Exoddus. And after I've seen the site, I'm even more sure of it. So it's going to be darker and edgier, eh? I hope this means they replace the farts possession with something more serious. After all, SoulStorm Brew is a very dangerous drug for the mudokons, it should have more devastating effects, not the exploding farts.

Well, all aboard the OddTrain! Now I have one more release to look up to in 2017... 

Edited by NetEntity

I know for a fact that they were supposed to do a remake of Exoddus next. Like, I e-mailed them a good while ago, and they told me this.

My e-mail with them, I asked if the New n Tasty game would have a platinum trophy and:

"Will there be a remake of Exoddus if Abe HD sell well enough?"

Their reply was:

"Hello yes to both :)"

But this was back when in mid 2012, when New n Tasty was still called Abe HD.

I've been waiting for the Exoddus remake for a long while now.

Edited by MMDE

Ha! Someone on Eurogamer posted this:

"Sounds like it's going to get freaky"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vro4hTCyaKo

I know for a fact that they were supposed to do a remake of Exoddus next. Like, I e-mailed them a good while ago, and they told me this.

My e-mail with them, I asked if the New n Tasty game would have a platinum trophy and:

"Will there be a remake of Exoddus if Abe HD sell well enough?"

Their reply was:

"Hello yes to both :)"

But this was back when in mid 2012, when New n Tasty was still called Abe HD.

I've been waiting for the Exoddus remake for a long while now.

Yeah, they told me something similar on Twitter ages ago. I'd thought that they meant just a upgrade of the original game, just like New 'n' Tasty did with Oddysee, but it now sounds like it will be a more in-depth remake. 

Definitely interesting, although I can't help but feel that perhaps they should have held off announcing for a while longer. Seems a bit disappointing to be told about it 18 months before we can expect to play it.

It would be weird if this was anything else than the Exoddus remake, though it seems like more of a reimagining now. I don't mind the tone of the series being darker and more serious, hopefully they won't get too edgy though. If this new version of Exoddus respects my intelligence without completely abandoning the goofy identity of the other titles i'd be as happy as a man could be.

It would be weird if this was anything else than the Exoddus remake, though it seems like more of a reimagining now. I don't mind the tone of the series being darker and more serious, hopefully they won't get too edgy though. If this new version of Exoddus respects my intelligence without completely abandoning the goofy identity of the other titles i'd be as happy as a man could be.

Sure. What I hope is that they make it side-scroller, else I'm not particularly interested unfortunately.