Can't update trophies from Vita

Jacob_Neal01

Basically as title says. My vita wont update my trophy list. The message I get is:

A DNS server cannot be used

The DNS server did not respond within the time limit

*Blah blah blah*

(NW-9735-4)

Been like this for a few days now. I googled the error code, but found nothing useful. I have restarted my router and vita, deleted and refreshed my connection, still nada. My DNS settings are not on manual, so the suggestion that they are wrong is not valid. 

Any help? :o Many thanks

When this happens to my Vita, I unplug my router and modem. Then I plug them back in. Next, I turn off, then restart my Vita.

Fixes it every time.

******* WARNING ********

Do not press "RESET" on your router or modem. This will wipe out your saved device names and passwords.

When this happens to my Vita, I unplug my router and modem. Then I plug them back in. Next, I turn off, then restart my Vita.

Fixes it every time.

******* WARNING ********

Do not press "RESET" on your router or modem. This will wipe out your saved device names and passwords.

I'll give it ago, although I'm doubting its effectiveness as I have restarted my router like 5 times...

Another potential fix is to turn the wifi off in settings, (or put the vita in airplane mode) reboot the vita then turn airplane mode off. That worked for me once when unplugging the router did not. Another option if all else fails would be to have your vita forget your internet and set it up again.

Another potential fix is to turn the wifi off in settings, (or put the vita in airplane mode) reboot the vita then turn airplane mode off. That worked for me once when unplugging the router did not. Another option if all else fails would be to have your vita forget your internet and set it up again.

Tried both multiple times

You should also try rebuilding the database if you haven't before. It fixed a lot of online issues I was having with it

How do I do this?

never had that problem with my vita, but whenever we have DNS problems of any kind (even here at work), i usually manually override the DNS server (at least temporarily) to the google DNS: 8.8.8.8

perhaps it's worth a try, just go to "Settings > Network Settings > Wi-Fi Settings", find your access point and go to the advanced settings. there you should be able to set DNS to "manual" and just insert the google dns "8.8.8.8" as primary dns.

just found a bit more detailed instruction by some VPN service provider or something: https://ironsocket.com/setup/psvita/dns-proxy

obviously don't use their DNS IP as stated there, but the google one ;)

• Like 2

never had that problem with my vita, but whenever we have DNS problems of any kind (even here at work), i usually manually override the DNS server (at least temporarily) to the google DNS: 8.8.8.8

perhaps it's worth a try, just go to "Settings > Network Settings > Wi-Fi Settings", find your access point and go to the advanced settings. there you should be able to set DNS to "manual" and just insert the google dns "8.8.8.8" as primary dns.

just found a bit more detailed instruction by some VPN service provider or something: https://ironsocket.com/setup/psvita/dns-proxy

obviously don't use their DNS IP as stated there, but the google one ;)

Appreciate the help, didn't work though

I have now reset my vita to factory defaults in the hope that fixes it...

Appreciate the help, didn't work though

I have now reset my vita to factory defaults in the hope that fixes it...

that's strange. if it'd be really just a simple DNS or network issue, that should've fixed it. hopefully the reset does, but somehow i doubt it.

i guess you don't have any kind of fancy network setup where you currently are? i mean some custom firewalls or routing equipment etc. just a simple, consumer wifi router?

one thing i would try is completely set the network settings manually. so static ip, static gateway AND the dns as before.

or perhaps before that: try to connect to some other wifi network (public hotspot, a friend or something), to rule out the vita itself as the source of the problem.

Edited by dernop

that's strange. if it'd be really just a simple DNS or network issue, that should've fixed it. hopefully the reset does, but somehow i doubt it.

i guess you don't have any kind of fancy network setup where you currently are? i mean some custom firewalls or routing equipment etc. just a simple, consumer wifi router?

one thing i would try is completely set the network settings manually. so static ip, static gateway AND the dns as before.

or perhaps before that: try to connect to some other wifi network (public hotspot, a friend or something), to rule out the vita itself as the source of the problem.

The reset didn't work. I've contacted Sony, but I'm not gonna rely on that lol. It must be the vita itself, because all my other devices are working fine - hence my ability to send this post xD

Kinda stuck for what to do now... nothing has changed, so I don't know why this has started happening...

Again, thanks, but it didn't work

Your vita might be defective if it still doesn't work

This is the only answer left. Nothing anyone has suggested worked. Aside from taking your Vita to a new wireless network, which seems like it would be less effective than all the other suggestions on here, I can't even fathom what else to do. Backup your saves to PC/Playstation Console/Plus and drain the battery. Leave it dead for a day the charge it up and see if it works? I swear it must either be a defective Vita or a hidden "drive everyone crazy" setting that no one can ever find.

Probably obvious, but did you install the most recent software update for Vita (which I think came out recently)?  I know my trophies don't update if my vita isn't up to date, and sometimes I don't even get the software update prompt until I try to play an online game.  Other than that, good luck! I hope you get it fixed.

Edit: Current version is 3.60 and came out on April 6th, which may be around when you started having problems.

Edited by Komrade_Konrad

Probably obvious, but did you install the most recent software update for Vita (which I think came out recently)?  I know my trophies don't update if my vita isn't up to date, and sometimes I don't even get the software update prompt until I try to play an online game.  Other than that, good luck! I hope you get it fixed.

Edit: Current version is 3.60 and came out on April 6th, which may be around when you started having problems.

That could work, in theory, but I can't update the vita because it gets no internet. Can I update it without needing it to connect to my WiFi?

That could work, in theory, but I can't update the vita because it gets no internet. Can I update it without needing it to connect to my WiFi?

Try this https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps-vita/

Also, have you tried using Vita on different access point? It does not seem you did that despite being advised to.

• Like 1

Try this https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps-vita/

Also, have you tried using Vita on different access point? It does not seem you did that despite being advised to.

That update is for NA only :P

Yeah, I tried my schools network today to no avail.

Might have to bite the bullet and buy a new one :(