Sqrt(Letter) coming west in 2016

Satoshi Ookami

I can comment on this a bit now.

After you finish the first ending the game will tell you that some additional endings are unlocked (and the count of total endings remaining) and then you can try to reach those endings by choosing different replies/options in the letters. The good thing is:

The game shows you which options you already used (by greying them out) but it will also add new reply-options and some new locations. I don't know which options are required for which ending, though. I want to play it blind as much as possible.

So basically it adds new options regardless of which ending you reach?

So basically it adds new options regardless of which ending you reach?

Yes there are some choices added. Before getting the first ending you have the option to choose between three replies on a short question but afterwards you seem to have five.

But the first ending also seems to be a fixed ending so it doesn't matter which choices are made. I got the ending with the highest rarity (Crossing Paths) and I don't think that this is a coincidence.

I can comment on this a bit now.

After you finish the first ending the game will tell you that some additional endings are unlocked (and the count of total endings remaining) and then you can try to reach those endings by choosing different replies/options in the letters. The good thing is:

The game shows you which options you already used (by greying them out) but it will also add new reply-options and some new locations. I don't know which options are required for which ending, though. I want to play it blind as much as possible.

Yes there are some choices added. Before getting the first ending you have the option to choose between three replies on a short question but afterwards you seem to have five.

But the first ending also seems to be a fixed ending so it doesn't matter which choices are made. I got the ending with the highest rarity (Crossing Paths) and I don't think that this is a coincidence.

Thanks for the info. It's interesting to hear you say the first ending you get is fixed. That's another thing I don't see in many VN's. :P

Interesting, don't think I've heard of VNs with a fixed ending before.

Played a bit on my second route yesterday and I'm now locked into the Cursed Letter-route. Didn't do anything fancy beside starting to choose the uppermost option I didn't choose before (contrary to the guide on ps3imports which recommends to choose first option on playthrough 1, second option on playthrough 2 etc).

The good thing is:
The game allows you to skip entire chapters up to the chapter 8 where the option gets disabled. From there on you have to play normal (finding items, investigating the scene etc.). So you don't have to do everything again that happens in chapter 1 to 7. This comes in handy when you want to choose the letter replies.

A playthrough like this should take 60 to 90 mins.

Anyone ever read a VN where you thought that some of the endings just felt like being tacked on and didn't fit the game at all? Finished the routes for the Cursed Letter and the Princess of Himegamori Forest-ending and both of them were sub-par.

Won't comment on the plot but they felt too rushed and the exaggaration is real. Oh and Captain Obvious was striking once again but the main was as thick as a brick.

The one ending I will now head to will be annoying for sure, too (--> A Government Plot). I hope that the "True" Ending will be good at least. By now this turned from a above-average game to a below-average like the XBlaze-games. :|

Yup, I definitely read some unfitting endings =D  xD

Ouch :/ Like Xblaze? That sounds really bad :/

The first playthrough is fine and if you get the proper ending (Crossing Path-route) it's also somehow satisfying. But the other ones? Ehm, feel like bad endings, at least the story is bad and too rushed.

After my first euphoria I would suggest to wait a bit with this VN even though the game's story premise and the gameplay is nice at first.

Better enjoy reading Code:Realize and wait until your copy of Steins;Gate 0 arrives. =D

Noooo, where's all the positivity surrounding the game gone? You guys are making me worried now. :(

Well I'm going to be starting the game tomorrow, so I guess I'll see how good or bad the game is for myself. Either way, I'm still determined to make a trophy guide for it.

Feel free to do a guide, although I have to say it's rather straight forward. The only trophy that could cause some trouble is the one for meeting Shimanekko 10+ times.

You guys? It's just me and I'm sorry to spread negative feelings but the additional endings I have seen so far weren't really fitting the setting IMO. But I have hopes that the last ending (Bond of Marriage) will be a bit better.

Feel free to do a guide, although I have to say it's rather straight forward. The only trophy that could cause some trouble is the one for meeting Shimanekko 10+ times.

You guys? It's just me and I'm sorry to spread negative feelings but the additional endings I have seen so far weren't really fitting the setting IMO. But I have hopes that the last ending (Bond of Marriage) will be a bit better.

Sounds like the game has its flaws :|. I realize everyone has their own preferences, but still this makes me feel uneasy and I really hope the game won't be a huge disappointment.

Noooo, where's all the positivity surrounding the game gone? You guys are making me worried now. :(

Well I'm going to be starting the game tomorrow, so I guess I'll see how good or bad the game is for myself. Either way, I'm still determined to make a trophy guide for it.

I'm looking forward to hear the thoughts of more gamers about this game (though no spoilers please). 

Good luck with the guide :D.

Well it will be my first guide, so starting with a game that is rather straight forward might not be such a bad idea. :D

Don't be sorry, I'm glad you're sharing your thoughts on the game, I'm just sad that you don't seem to like it very much. If anything you're tempering my expectations which isn't a bad thing. Maybe I'll end up liking the game more than I think I will.

I'm looking forward to hear the thoughts of more gamers about this game (though no spoilers please). 

Good luck with the guide :D.

Yeah, I am too. I remember Lucas was giving his thoughts on the game earlier in this thread, and he seemed to like it. I'm not sure if that changed though. :S And don't worry, I don't go around spoiling games for people. Well... not intentionally anyway. You're never gonna let that go, are you!? :P

Thanks, I think I'm gonna need it. xD

Yeah, I am too. I remember Lucas was giving his thoughts on the game earlier in this thread, and he seemed to like it. I'm not sure if that changed though. :S And don't worry, I don't go around spoiling games for people. Well... not intentionally anyway. You're never gonna let that go, are you!? :P

Thanks, I think I'm gonna need it. xD

I will... eventually, but in the meantime I'm going to have fun with it :awesome:.

• Like 1

Sounds like the game has its flaws :|. I realize everyone has their own preferences, but still this makes me feel uneasy and I really hope the game won't be a huge disappointment.

Remember that preferences are even more important in VNs ;) 

Consider Amnesia, majority of players hate it, you and some others liked it =D

I'm maybe about halfway through chapter 2 right now and I'm really enjoying it so far. I love a good mystery and the game is providing one. Of course I still have a long way to go, so that could change, but my first impressions are good at least.

Remember that preferences are even more important in VNs ;)

I liked Amnesia too! Haters be damned. :P

Okay, I'm through this game now. Saw the true ending and it was IMO on par with the first I saw. Maybe a bit better and it didn't feel rushed in comparison to the other endings.

Overall I would say it's somewhere in the middleground. It's surely has it's charming points but somehow it didn't catch me as much as the VN-elite on Vita (or some of the better VNs available on Steam.

But hey, this game also has some positive things:
Now I feel the sudden urge to finally read the 2015 & 2016 DLC for Go! Go! Nippon! xD

Well, 'like' may be overdoing it a bit. I found it enjoyable, the Heart route was by far the best one, because of the mystery solving theme.

I'm maybe about halfway through chapter 2 right now and I'm really enjoying it so far. I love a good mystery and the game is providing one. Of course I still have a long way to go, so that could change, but my first impressions are good at least.

Nice, looking forward to read your thoughts about the rest of the game.

Okay, I'm through this game now. Saw the true ending and it was IMO on par with the first I saw. Maybe a bit better and it didn't feel rushed in comparison to the other endings.

Overall I would say it's somewhere in the middleground. It's surely has it's charming points but somehow it didn't catch me as much as the VN-elite on Vita (or some of the better VNs available on Steam.

But hey, this game also has some positive things:

Now I feel the sudden urge to finally read the 2015 & 2016 DLC for Go! Go! Nippon! xD

Congrats with the plat :yay:. It's good to know the true ending isn't rushed.

• Like 1

Yeah, I am too. I remember Lucas was giving his thoughts on the game earlier in this thread, and he seemed to like it. I'm not sure if that changed though. :S

It didn't change. For some reason I stopped playing the game even though I enjoyed it (I don't know why I stopped, I really don't know) but continue playing again yesterday. I'm now at the beginning of chapter 8 of my first playthrough and I'm still really enjoying it. I might finish the game tonight. If not tonight, I'll probably finish it tomorrow.

It didn't change. For some reason I stopped playing the game even though I enjoyed it (I don't know why I stopped, I really don't know) but continue playing again yesterday. I'm now at the beginning of chapter 8 of my first playthrough and I'm still really enjoying it. I might finish the game tonight. If not tonight, I'll probably finish it tomorrow.

Ah, good to know. I thought you might of changed your opinion on the game and didn't want to play it anymore or something. I'm glad to hear you're still enjoying it. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the last chapter when you get there. It was quite something. :giggle:

Anyone ever read a VN where you thought that some of the endings just felt like being tacked on and didn't fit the game at all? Finished the routes for the Cursed Letter and the Princess of Himegamori Forest-ending and both of them were sub-par.

Won't comment on the plot but they felt too rushed and the exaggaration is real. Oh and Captain Obvious was striking once again but the main was as thick as a brick.

The one ending I will now head to will be annoying for sure, too (--> A Government Plot). I hope that the "True" Ending will be good at least. By now this turned from a above-average game to a below-average like the XBlaze-games.  :|

Ah, good to know. I thought you might of changed your opinion on the game and didn't want to play it anymore or something. I'm glad to hear you're still enjoying it. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the last chapter when you get there. It was quite something. :giggle:

'Wow', that's the only thing I thought the first 20 seconds the credits rolled. First of all I want to say that I think the first ending isn't fixed. When I take a look at some different PSN profiles around here, everyone seems to have gotten another ending as their first. The first ending that I got was the 'Cursed Letter' ending. I hope this is supposed to be a 'bad ending' as it left me quite shocked. Here's why (to anyone who hasn't gotten the 'Cursed Letter' ending yet, don't read this):

Chapter 9 starts. Within the first few seconds I say to myself: 'damn, I got the bad ending, didn't I?'. The first thing I see when chapter 9 starts, is a crow. That's bad news. I continued playing and I felt like everything in these two shortest chapters so far, went by way too quick. After the group explains everything to you, Fatty is standing next to your bed in the middle of the night. After you wake up, you hear that Fatty died. Well, okay, didn't see that coming but it could still be a good way to tell the story of the game. 'Wait, Bitch might be in danger, let's go see if she's okay.' You rush to Bitch who falls dead on the floor right before your feet. After this, every single member of the group dies within rapid succesion. And as if it wasn't bad enough yet, the MC realises he's dead as well only 30 seconds after the other group members die, one by one. Credits.

Wow.,.. I can't believe it... What the hell was this. I hope the other endings are actually more statisfying  :rolleyes:.

'Wow', that's the only thing I thought the first 20 seconds the credits rolled. First of all I want to say that I think the first ending isn't fixed. When I take a look at some different PSN profiles around here, everyone seems to have gotten another ending as their first. The first ending that I got was the 'Cursed Letter' ending. I hope this is supposed to be a 'bad ending' as it left me quite shocked. Here's why (to anyone who hasn't gotten the 'Cursed Letter' ending yet, don't read this):

Chapter 9 starts. Within the first few seconds I say to myself: 'damn, I got the bad ending, didn't I?'. The first thing I see when chapter 9 starts, is a crow. That's bad news. I continued playing and I felt like everything in these two shortest chapters so far, went by way too quick. After the group explains everything to you, Fatty is standing next to your bed in the middle of the night. After you wake up, you hear that Fatty died. Well, okay, didn't see that coming but it could still be a good way to tell the story of the game. 'Wait, Bitch might be in danger, let's go see if she's okay.' You rush to Bitch who falls dead on the floor right before your feet. After this, every single member of the group dies within rapid succesion. And as if it wasn't bad enough yet, the MC realises he's dead as well only 30 seconds after the other group members die, one by one. Credits.

Wow.,.. I can't believe it... What the hell was this. I hope the other endings are actually more statisfying  :rolleyes:.

Yeah, I've noticed that the ending doesn't seem to be fixed on your first playthrough as well. It looks like you unlock the 'A Government Plot' and 'The Bond of Marriage' routes after finishing the game once, so it's not possible to get those right away, but it might be possible to get some of the other routes depending on what choices you make. I'm gonna have to experiment with it.

Haha, it was pretty shocking for me as well, but I actually really liked that ending. I won't spoil it, but I haven't actually come across a "happy ending" yet. :P I've still got a few more routes to go though.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've noticed that the ending doesn't seem to be fixed on your first playthrough as well. It looks like you unlock the 'A Government Plot' and 'The Bond of Marriage' routes after finishing the game once, so it's not possible to get those right away, but it might be possible to get some of the other routes depending on what choices you make. I'm gonna have to experiment with it.

Yeah, I think 'Crossing Paths' and 'Cursed Letter' might be the only two routes that are possible to get on your first playthrough.

Haha, it was pretty shocking for me as well, but I actually really liked that ending. I won't spoil it, but I haven't actually come across a "happy ending" yet. :P I've still got a few more routes to go though.

I didn't, not at all :P. Hmm, well I hope to see a happy ending soon, I can't handle 'bad endings' unless they're perfectly paced and worked out which, I felt, this one wasn't.

• Like 1

Also realized it after seeing which ending Undead got first. 

And yes, two other endings are more satisfying. I was lucky and got the Crossing Paths ending first and after that I really thought that Cursed Letter felt like a gag or a bad ending (bad as it felt totally stupid). Goverment Plot and Princess of Himegamori Forest are a bit better but still feel somehow lackluster as compared to Bond of Marriage and Crossing Paths.

• Like 1