Is this port any good?

snarker-1995

I don't have a ps4 but as far as I know any ps2 classic on ps4 are based on the ps2 version of the game.

I heard the original Xbox and PC version of Psychonauts are the better ones because the ps2 port was made by a completely different studio and devs as these devs are the one who screw up the ps2 port.

Thanks but I'm thinking more about whether it's a port of the NTSC or PAL version because the PAL versions an even worse version.

These "ports"/emulations are based on their respective regions, what I mean is that the US Store will have the NTSC version of the game and the EU Store will have the PAL version.

If you prefer to play the NTSC version then I recommend you to create a US account and download that version.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2016-06-21 at 9:59 AM, Finozzi1696 said:

These "ports"/emulations are based on their respective regions, what I mean is that the US Store will have the NTSC version of the game and the EU Store will have the PAL version.

If you prefer to play the NTSC version then I recommend you to create a US account and download that version.

Not true of Ape Escape 2, which is the EU version regardless of where you are [NA/EU]. Since Ubisoft published it in NA. Which is a shame, I hear the NA version had Ash and Misty's voice actors do voices in that version and that the NA release actually had arrows in that horrible rhythm mini-game. Don't care as much about the voices, but the stupid arrows being missing is stupid. Imagine playing any rhythm game without an indication of where you're actually supposed to push the buttons. Absurd, just horrid design. No idea which method the Japanese version uses. I would hope not this horrible way.

@topic; I played the NA version. Some framerate issues here and there, nothing too bad. The only real issue with the game is the double jumping. I don't know if it's a universal issue with the game [never did beat it when I originally played it on PS2, and I haven't played it on anything else], but sometimes it doesn't register well. This makes the final boss really tedious and annoying. There's a platforming section where you have to double jump to grab onto fences and it's such a frustrating mess. I almost quit playing the game because it was so frustrating and awful. It just did not want to register the double jump so I'd fall to my death all the time. It would have been easy otherwise, but that was so stupidly annoying.

Edited by Elvick_

Not true of Ape Escape 2, which is the EU version regardless of where you are [NA/EU]. Since Ubisoft published it in NA. Which is a shame, I hear the NA version had Ash and Misty's voice actors do voices in that version and that the NA release actually had arrows in that horrible rhythm mini-game. Don't care as much about the voices, but the stupid arrows being missing is stupid. Imagine playing any rhythm game without an indication of where you're actually supposed to push the buttons. Absurd, just horrid design. No idea which method the Japanese version uses. I would hope not this horrible way.

@topic; I played the NA version. Some framerate issues here and there, nothing too bad. The only real issue with the game is the double jumping. I don't know if it's a universal issue with the game [never did beat it when I originally played it on PS2, and I haven't played it on anything else], but sometimes it doesn't register well. This makes the final boss really tedious and annoying. There's a platforming section where you have to double jump to grab onto fences and it's such a frustrating mess. I almost quit playing the game because it was so frustrating and awful. It just did not want to register the double jump so I'd fall to my death all the time. It would have been easy otherwise, but that was so stupidly annoying.

I made that post months before Ape Escape 2 was released, of course now I know that doesn't apply anymore :) 

Is a shame Sony wasn't able to let Ubisoft release the respective NA version there (or maybe they didn't asked them and just released the EU one since it was easier to re-release 'cause Sony was the publisher of that version), since I wanted to see a big publisher like Ubisoft joining the PS2 emulation on PS4. Hopefully they'll join sooner or later, like they did with their PS2 Classics on the PS3.

I made that post months before Ape Escape 2 was released, of course now I know that doesn't apply anymore :)

Is a shame Sony wasn't able to let Ubisoft release the respective NA version there (or maybe they didn't asked them and just released the EU one since it was easier to re-release 'cause Sony was the publisher of that version), since I wanted to see a big publisher like Ubisoft joining the PS2 emulation on PS4. Hopefully they'll join sooner or later, like they did with their PS2 Classics on the PS3.

I was wondering if the seemingly "held up" release [it was rated ages ago, waaaaay before a lot of other things and yet took that long to come out] was due to them trying to figure something out with the NA version.

I wish we got a bit more inside information on the releases of this kind of thing. It'd be interesting to know if they tried, and licensing didn't work out for it to be done like most other games. Or if they just didn't try at all, which would seem a little weird to me, but you never know.

I was wondering if the seemingly "held up" release [it was rated ages ago, waaaaay before a lot of other things and yet took that long to come out] was due to them trying to figure something out with the NA version.

I wish we got a bit more inside information on the releases of this kind of thing. It'd be interesting to know if they tried, and licensing didn't work out for it to be done like most other games. Or if they just didn't try at all, which would seem a little weird to me, but you never know.

Mmh I'm not sure, I mean plenty of PS2 games were leaked for a PS4 re-release last year and pretty much all of them became true and are now available on the PS4: Coming soon to PS4: Siren, Ape Escape 3, Okage, Wild Arms 3, PrimalApe Escape 2 was leaked even months before those December leaks, together with Dark Cloud 2/Dark Chronicle and Twisted Metal: Black.

So I don't know if the NA version had something to do with it, considering it took many months for other games to get released too and they didn't had any problem to bring their NA and EU versions to their respective versions. Ape Escape 3 was published by Sony worldwide unlike Ape Escape 2 which was published by Ubisoft on NA so they won't have a problem to re-release it this time, but still it's taking a long time to be released.  :unsure:

I mean we know it takes some time to add all those features that comes with them, especially trophy support which takes up to 2-3 months according to some Sony's employee so its understandable that they take a while to get released, also considering that only an apparently small studio is taking care of those emulations, why Sony don't get more people to work on them so they can release them faster considering they are having great success with them is beyond me.  :huh:

• 1 year later...

Just finished the game... There's plenty to love about the game, but it definitely got major issues too.

Just gonna list some issue:

1. It feels like the game is going to fall apart any second, all the time.
  2. Bad frame rate, and if enough enemies on screen, which there is at a certain place where you wanna do some precise jumping, it can drop to like 5-10fps.
  3. Game crashed on me 3-4 times.
  4. I ran into several glitches, anything from turning completely invisible (not just the spell where you can still see the eyes), glitched an enemy to stun me until it was done being stunned, some acceleration bugs etc.
  5. The platforming was pretty damn bad, and this is a platforming game. The platforming was pretty much always just a hassle to get the game to do what you wanted it to.
  6. While the level design was fine, it often ended up being frustrating due to how it relied on the platforming which worked so poorly.
  7. The start of the game is the worst part of the game, which turns you pretty much off the game from the getgo rather than making you like it, as there's definitely things to like.

Anyway, this thread was about the port. It wasn't particularly good. Ran like shit.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 4:11 PM, stpatty said:

Just started the game. I currently have one trophy and it's crashed on me twice, with 480MB error reports to send off. It's not looking promising. 

not that i was going to play this any time soon but, i think i'll just delete it and forget about it. got it for $1 during a sale and honestly, didn't much like or cared for it when i played it on the ps3 when i beat it there.