Charity Event for Sick Kids

What a terrific initiative! I have a sealed copy of Skate 3 lying around here, so I'll look into getting it there. :lol:

While your sentiment is lovely, I believe you've misunderstood the premise.

You donate money to the charity, and with that money, the charity purchases games for the children.

The purchase of the games must be made from a reputable organization, while under supervision, to ensure the cleanliness of the product. Sending a game 4,000 miles in the public mail system is a perfect example of what the charity is trying to avoid.

Also, it's worth noting that most of the games are specifically requested by the children, because they're usually very young (like ages 4-6), so lots of Pokemon, Gameboy-type stuff is frequently sought. I don't think a 4 year old Canadian girl with terminal brain cancer would be able to grasp the intricate flick-it system in a German speaking skateboarding game with mature content.

Again, it's the thought that counts though, so the children sagt Danke and whatnot. :)

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 1

Also, it's worth noting that most of the games are specifically requested by the children, because they're usually very young (like ages 4-6), so lots of Pokemon, Gameboy-type stuff is frequently sought. I don't think a 4 year old Canadian girl with terminal brain cancer would be able to grasp the intricate flick-it system in a German speaking skateboarding game with mature content.

Again, it's the thought that counts though, so the children sagt Danke and whatnot. :)

*cough* He's from Belgium, not Germany. *cough*

If you want a german Pokémon-game, ask me.  :P

But nice that you try to advertise a local charity event like this. I hope this will help the donations. :)

• Like 2

That's awesome that you're helping drive awareness for the event, but I have one question... Who is Adam Strickland?

Just an ordinary young dude that created the event. He does other charity events, too.

*cough* He's from Belgium, not Germany. *cough*

If you want a german Pokémon-game, ask me. :P

But nice that you try to advertise a local charity event like this. I hope this will help the donations. :)

In my defense, I never said he was from Germany. I already knew he was from Belgium, and only used German as an example because it's one of the 3 official languages of the country. ;)

Edited by effdeegee

Just an ordinary young dude that created the event. He does other charity events, too.

In my defense, I never said he was from Germany. I already knew he was from Belgium, and only used German as an example because it's one of the 3 official languages of the country. ;)

My bad. I read too quickly and thought they accepted games as well as donations. Apologies!

The game, however, is in English though.  :D

I don't think I'm living in the same state as your game store, sorry. But I appreciate the sentiments.

That doesn't matter so much as you can donate online to this amazing cause:  http://tiltify.com/events/megamanathon-2016

Also, as FDG has mentioned, there will be an online Twitch stream of the event so even those elsewhere in the world would be able to view :)

It raises awareness of the charity too so that maybe other people can set up events - http://childsplaycharity.org/events#planYourOwnEvent

Edited to add: Child's Play also have an Amazon wishlist, so you can buy items from the wishlist and they get sent directly to the charity.  If you click on the interactive map at the top of this page it will take you to the appropriate country Amazon page: http://childsplaycharity.org/donate

Edited by Velvet
  • Like 1

Major update:

We set a goal that, if the online portion of the donations reached $1,000, Adam Strickland would shave his head. Within moments of that being announced, someone walked in and donated the remaining $800+ dollars. :o

We're at $3,150 so far today and have now topped $11,000 for the 5 years! :yay:

Edited by effdeegee