Is it worth the Money ?

ClearVHS

Great points well made SkyMason. I've played Overwatch for around 100hrs up til now (half the time with friends I made online and the other half on my own) and am loving it... nothing feels stale at all yet and am still enjoying learning some of the characters (I'm also probably the only person in the game who has yet to play as Genji haha.... I will in time)... I also find the maps have a lot of great design and variety in regard to the characters and their strengths/weaknesses etc. I also feel you're spot on in regard to how tactical this game can be and how changing tactics and/or character can completely turn the match around.

I am quite surprised however at how few people seem to realise that all DLC (characters/maps/modes etc.) that has and will be released are all free and always will be, you just pay for the game initially and then that's it.... no season passes no paid DLC, all free... with that in mind it is definitely good value for money for such a fun game. The net code is also excellent as I've hardly ever noticed even the slightest lag (and my internet is pretty lame) and the game runs at a smooth 60fps at all times

I am a terrible FPS player, but I am not a terrible person who's bashing others for how they play a video game. Oh, and just because some people are unskilled it doesn't make them 'retards' as you're implying.

In a more philosophical sense of thinking, I believe you could find other ways of fueling your ego's voice, or covering that hollow need for self-appreciation, or whatever emotional reasons you have for acting like a complete jerk on a games' forum. Needless to say you missed the essence of my post... and I even used bold! *sigh*

i never said anything about my own skill. and my "retard" part only apply's to those who feel like it speaks to them. im not talking about the casual unskilled players. im talking about the retards.    so it has nothing to do with me being ego or with me insulting others. as neither is true. its just litterly  some people ARE retards.  and about you. it just plainly annoys me you call a list "luckbased" just because YOU can't do it without luck.     

also im not acting like a jerk on these forums as pretty much all i do daily is HELP people on these forums :\   its just that you where plainly wrong :)

also 100% agreeing with skymason his comment is very wel written ^^

i never said anything about my own skill. and my "retard" part only apply's to those who feel like it speaks to them. im not talking about the casual unskilled players. im talking about the retards.    so it has nothing to do with me being ego or with me insulting others. as neither is true. its just litterly  some people ARE retards.  and about you. it just plainly annoys me you call a list "luckbased" just because YOU can't do it without luck.     

also im not acting like a jerk on these forums as pretty much all i do daily is HELP people on these forums :\   its just that you where plainly wrong :)

also 100% agreeing with skymason his comment is very wel written ^^

To be fair the list IS luck based. I got the plat and boostet about 3 to 4 trophies and got everything else legit, but getting 4 people with a Hanzo Ult now is pretty hard, because nearly every player knows what Ultimate does what and how to evade it. Yeah I know a Zarya can always help, but I mean the Ultimate alone. Same goes for D.VA a quad can be extremely hard, because the game tells you: "Dude, WATCH OUT YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!!"

Sure a well balanced and good team can corner enemies pretty good and you can certainly force a trophy situation, but it doesn't work with every team.

Long story short, it is kinda luck based to a certain degree.

I played the game for about 100 hours now and I have to admit it was worth it. At first I didn't want to buy it because I thought:" No I will play it for about 10 hours and that's it" but I got hooked. Got the plat with about 80 hours playtime and I'm still playing it.

Long story short:

If you are playing on your own - You might have a salty experience like this guy

If friends are playing with you - 100% go for it

Actually, I play alone a LOT and have a ton of fun. Yes, I get stuck with a few bad teams from time to time, but that happens with a lot of games...then I switch to a character I need to work on.

I'm over 40 and have played thousands of games of my career as gamer, and this the definition of great game: easy to learn, fun to master and play with amazing attention detail backed by a string dev team. My GOTY...go buy it.

To be fair the list IS luck based. I got the plat and boostet about 3 to 4 trophies and got everything else legit, but getting 4 people with a Hanzo Ult now is pretty hard, because nearly every player knows what Ultimate does what and how to evade it. Yeah I know a Zarya can always help, but I mean the Ultimate alone. Same goes for D.VA a quad can be extremely hard, because the game tells you: "Dude, WATCH OUT YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!!"

Sure a well balanced and good team can corner enemies pretty good and you can certainly force a trophy situation, but it doesn't work with every team.

I played the game for about 100 hours now and I have to admit it was worth it. At first I didn't want to buy it because I thought:" No I will play it for about 10 hours and that's it" but I got hooked. Got the plat with about 80 hours playtime and I'm still playing it.

that part from hanzo is not rly luck based hun :)  on hanamura on attack while attacking point B if ur team go's on the point the enemy wil group on it to. just shoot it into the wall from outside. thats how i killed all 6 with one ult 4 times :P  its not rly that hard .  

HOWEVER outside of planning things and or backstabbing enemy's   if ur playing solo without friends the matchmaking is indeed 100% luck based,  ur 100% right on that xD so i gues there is indeed luck involved

that part from hanzo is not rly luck based hun :)  on hanamura on attack while attacking point B if ur team go's on the point the enemy wil group on it to. just shoot it into the wall from outside. thats how i killed all 6 with one ult 4 times :P  its not rly that hard

PS.  thanks for ur input <3  value ur opinion :)

Edited by DivineFoxy

I think it's worth the money, specially now that you can get it used cheaper.

However I feel like they could have created more maps.

I feel character wise it's great and there is something for each taste, even for the CoD kids with the most original character of them all "Soldier" (they couldn't even find a cool name for it).

Looting system sucks though and is basically GTAV's Shark Cards for whoever wants to get an item for their fav character and not that same item for a character you don't give a fuck about.

At $40-45 I think it's completely fine. $60 was well, for people like me who wanted to jump right into it. At the end of the year you will probably find it used for $35 or $30.

And whoever said D.VA's ult is ridiculously OP... lulwat? D.Va is my main and I got the ult trophy (1st trophy on OW) 1 or 2 days after release, then after that I was only able to kill 4 again (actually it was 5) ONCE. D.Va is completely underpowered, the only thing we got was that you don't die now if you stay in the vicinity of the exploding Meka.

Hanzo's ult was easy the first week then after that is pretty easy to spot and hide from, same with Junkrat, Parah and most of the characters and that's when it gets underwhelming if you're going for the ult trophies legit.

Reaper's ult is the most telegraphed of all ults since you always see the same pattern, a Reaper camping somewhere that just teleported into the middle of the action. I can spot an Reaper ult 9 out of 10 times, problem is, Reaper is OP because once he starts you can only scream "I knew it".

In short the trophy list is bullshit and if you're gonna buy it for the trophy list, then IMHO it's NOT worth it. Since there is a lot of pain coming your way.

PS: I'm an average/below average FPS player, used to be pretty good on PC years ago but I'm finding my way on a controller still.

I think it's worth the money, specially now that you can get it used cheaper.

However I feel like they could have created more maps.

I feel character wise it's great and there is something for each taste, even for the CoD kids with the most original character of them all "Soldier" (they couldn't even find a cool name for it).

Looting system sucks though and is basically GTAV's Shark Cards for whoever wants to get an item for their fav character and not that same item for a character you don't give a fuck about.

At $40-45 I think it's completely fine. $60 was well, for people like me who wanted to jump right into it. At the end of the year you will probably find it used for $35 or $30.

And whoever said D.VA's ult is ridiculously OP... lulwat? D.Va is my main and I got the ult trophy (1st trophy on OW) 1 or 2 days after release, then after that I was only able to kill 4 again (actually it was 5) ONCE. D.Va is completely underpowered, the only thing we got was that you don't die now if you stay in the vicinity of the exploding Meka.

Hanzo's ult was easy the first week then after that is pretty easy to spot and hide from, same with Junkrat, Parah and most of the characters and that's when it gets underwhelming if you're going for the ult trophies legit.

Reaper's ult is the most telegraphed of all ults since you always see the same pattern, a Reaper camping somewhere that just teleported into the middle of the action. I can spot an Reaper ult 9 out of 10 times, problem is, Reaper is OP because once he starts you can only scream "I knew it".

In short the trophy list is bullshit and if you're gonna buy it for the trophy list, then IMHO it's NOT worth it. Since there is a lot of pain coming your way.

PS: I'm an average/below average FPS player, used to be pretty good on PC years ago but I'm finding my way on a controller still.

they are making new maps and new chars atm :)  and it wil all be "free dlc's" 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Not really. Even if you don't care about earning the platinum or trophy hunt, the matchmaking is terribly unbalanced and the game isn't very fun. Overcamp is a better name for this. There's never the sense that deaths are the result of player skill, just people camping the entire time.

Most people playing this are as dense as a doorknob and think trophy boosting equal cheating. If Blizzard cared about their player base, they would create a matchmaking filter for trophy boosters. We aren't going to touch the truly elite legit players and their leaderboard rankings.

Never was a fan of these sorta games. But got it for 33$ and have on both my ps4. Is a blast to play with someone regularly that you know. Fir that price i feel its worth it. But any more, theres way better choices this holiday.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

I would say it depends on how you feel about 100% multiplayer games to whether it's worth the money.

I usually prefer single player games to multiplayer, but I must have put somewhere between 200-300 hours in since the beta.

I bought this at launch and for me it's the biggest disappointment of this gaming generation. Not only the game is dull, boring, unbalanced and poorly designed, but the trophy list is terrible. It's the only game in like 80 games I gave up to platinum. Every trophy requires absurd luck and almost zero skill. (like revive 4 allies with a single use of a support's ultimate, that means all 4 of them need to die in the same spot)

You can also see there's a huge difference between user ratings and critics' on Metacritic, which makes me think Blizzard paid the editors for a favorable reception. http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/overwatch

Gotta love how you chose to link the Xbox One version specifically for your own confirmation bias seeing as it's the one with the biggest difference between critic and user scores. You would do well as a promoter of religion with that attitude, they cherry pick their sources to further their own agenda too.

It also didn't take long for me to find the main complaints were price for content in the console version (which was pretty shitty) as well as salty Team Fortress 2 fans rather than genuine complaints.

The trophy list is also as much about luck as any competitive online game should be. It requires some degree of luck for other players to be where you need them to be, but you're still not going to get a majority of them if you're bad at the game.

• 1 month later...

Got this game for Christmas and it's the only game I've been playing for the past week and a half. Despite preferrably playing solo, I've enjoyed my (currently) 20 hours with the team-oriented game.

Pros:

1) The characters are balanced because you can only pick one character per game, not one character feels OP than the others and every character (except Mercy) has a character they're strong and weak against.

2) The maps are balanced in that there are multiple ways to access each point, each map has sections that are wide and spacious or tight and close quarters oriented and each map provides multiple angles for each character to tackle their opponents.

3) Future additions made for the game will be free. At the time of this post, Blizzard just released a new map called Oasis.

4) Blizzard allows you to customize each character to your own liking and Blizzard allows you to use the coins gained from lootboxes to purchase any specific customization.

Cons:

1) The game modes are limited though with only 3 types: Capture The Point, Payload and the 3 match mode.

2) The "always-online” feature is disappointing too as even the most minute feature requires you to be always connected to the internet. For example, if you want to play with bots, the game will try to connect you with battle.net; something that shouldn't be required to play with AI.

3) Another disappointing factor is the fact that to fully understand the lore behind Overwatch, you have to read and/or watch a bunch of trailers, comics, some wikis and maybe some youtube videos.

4) If you're a trophy hunter, this trophy list will be a pain in the ass as many trophies are luck based.

5) The lootbox feature is a pain if you're a trophy hunter because there is a trophy that requires you to get 50 customizations for one character and the only way to get lootboxes is via leveling up and the items you get from lootboxes are randomized.