Spelunky horror story's...

KaKrackle

On the Xbox version there's an achievement for completing the game without picking up any treasure. I failed during the Olmec fight twice before I managed to do it. One time I just died, the other, I knocked loose a tiny nugget of gold and wasn't able to avoid it.

It's a shame that one wasn't in the Playstation version, it's an interesting way to play to say the least

Your talking about 'low scorer.' Well I'm glad it's not in the ps4 version. Im shit enough at this game as it is. Getting to hell was a bit of a nightmare for me. I have lost count at the amount of times I was on a good run only to be killed in a dark level by an unseen spike or crush trap lol. I also misse 'seen it all' by 1 entry, because vlad fell into a spike trap loosing me the entry. Damn.

I'm still working on big money. I actually was about 10 seconds away from getting it earlier on. Got all the way to Yama with 400000 $ in hand, all I had to do was kill him and exit the level, but I got killed by a bat. God fucking damn!!!! I'm looking forward to tackling speedlunky for the 100% though.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been playing the game on my Vita  these last weeks, trying to beat King Yamma in special ways, I've been able to shatter him with the Freeze Ray, killed him by teleportinhg into his head, blast him with the Plasma Cannon (with only 1 shot if I recall correctly) though I was able to blast him before.

Some months ago I was able to killed him with the Crysknife, and throw him an eggplant to his head before killling him, the latter using my PS3 and my Vita, but I haven't given up on doing a solo eggplant run yet.

However, no matter how many times I try, something always go wrong when I attempt to take the Shield to Hell to crush Yamma's head against a wall. The closest I was to get to Hell with the Shield was a couple hours ago, but the ghost screw my run when it killed the Hired Hand that was supposed to carry the Scepter while I was going to carry the shield on the first level of the Temple, I even had a jetpack, more than 20 bombs, and didn't angered any shopkeepers but what screwed that run was that I lacked paste which made me waste time on getting rid of all threats at the bottom of the level to leave the Hired Hand there. I spent precious time on trying to beat Anubis without sticky bombs while evading a moving block. I place the scepter near the hired hand but that brainless bastard picked a rock instead, while trying to make him drop it so he can grab the scepter the ghost was too close and my run was ruined a second later. PASTE!!! All I needed that time was paste! Come on! I was so angry and frustrated after that.

From all the times I tried, I got the right combination of levels (Haunted Castle and Black Market or viceversa in the same run) less than 10 times, some times I had a jetpack, other times a cape, most times the shopkeepers put a price on "my head". 

Hopefully next time I will be able to make it to Hell with the Shield and crush Yamma's head with it. 

Edited by Deceptrox

On 22.5.2020 at 9:24 AM, Deceptrox said:

eggplant

Wow, that's some serious dedication. So glad it's not part of the 100%. That and no gold run. It took me over 2 weeks of playing several hours each day before I finally beat hell and I can't imagine doing that with an eggplant. Just need to do 500k gold and speedlunky now. But I'm really not looking forward to speedrunning this game.

It might grow on you lilpain.  I only play it on Vita when i have no other gaming options.  Its a perfect Vita game.    Tried it on ps4 and hated it.  Managed to get Speedlunky at christmas at the inlaws while everyone else was watching a christmas movie.  My horror story is sprinting to the final door on speedlunky and getting killed by a scorpion hiding there.   After a 4 month break i tried it again a week ago, and only big money left.

7 minutes ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

Finally done. This game took me ages and was definitely the biggest roadblock on the way to 100%.  

Good job.

I'm still unlucky at taking The Shield to Hell, most of the times I get a "The Dead Are Restless" level with an entrance to the "Haunted Castle" level the game also spawns the entrance to the "Black Market". 

On 06/06/2020 at 5:20 PM, maisie666 said:

It might grow on you lilpain.  I only play it on Vita when i have no other gaming options.  Its a perfect Vita game.    Tried it on ps4 and hated it.  Managed to get Speedlunky at christmas at the inlaws while everyone else was watching a christmas movie.  My horror story is sprinting to the final door on speedlunky and getting killed by a scorpion hiding there.   After a 4 month break i tried it again a week ago, and only big money left.

Kinda has but only because im stubborn and when my impulse of I want this 100% kicks in I don't back down. You can get consistent as I have gotten much better but there's so many times where a spider, bat ect sets off a trap and the arrow bounces hitting you... Or an explosive. Or forest you spawn and shopkeeper shouts TERRORIST because a trap hit an explosive frog. Great I have angered them without wanting to now I have to pray to RNGesus that I can actually get through this. No extra bombs, ropes ( or putting boxes behind thick walls or really high up ) or shop spawning but then getting a seed that forces you to use them all leaving you out of bombs... Black market is always fun because the enemy are all over... Having a fair chance of angering them. Just a whole lotta stupid stuff happens that you have 0 control over and I haven't played a game with this much RNG ever. Every Rouge like I have played has RNG but nothing to this extent.

4 hours ago, lilpain97 said:

Kinda has but only because im stubborn and when my impulse of I want this 100% kicks in I don't back down. You can get consistent as I have gotten much better but there's so many times where a spider, bat ect sets off a trap and the arrow bounces hitting you... Or an explosive. Or forest you spawn and shopkeeper shouts TERRORIST because a trap hit an explosive frog. Great I have angered them without wanting to now I have to pray to RNGesus that I can actually get through this. No extra bombs, ropes ( or putting boxes behind thick walls or really high up ) or shop spawning but then getting a seed that forces you to use them all leaving you out of bombs... Black market is always fun because the enemy are all over... Having a fair chance of angering them. Just a whole lotta stupid stuff happens that you have 0 control over and I haven't played a game with this much RNG ever. Every Rouge like I have played has RNG but nothing to this extent.

lol.  This is one of the tougher 100%s  for sure.   Big Money and Speedlunky are some of the most intense gaming i ve done.   I deleted immediately after syncing my last trophy.

I was finally able to take The Shield to Hell and crush King Yamma's head with it. I only had one heart left when I reached Yamma's throne so I had to be extra careful not to screw it up so I couldn't add insult to injury.

I originally planned to take his head to the bottom floor and place it there just against a small wall to render him harmless and taste the moment just before crushing him. Because of that, I destroyed one hand (one hit from any hand and it would've been over) to attempt taking his head to the bottom floor but after pondering my options, I decided to go to the other side and destroy his other hand.

After taking care of vampires on that side I destroyed his other hand, however that activated his second phase (fortunately I grabbed Vlad's Amulet in level 5-1). So, I throw a rope under a tile and waited for the right moment. When he was getting close to the wall above I went for it and crushed him, I was happy it was over the way I wanted it. It was a Crushing Victory.

jGfVokY.jpg

7AwSq25.jpg

gYUCNzw.jpg

1 hour ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

Congrats dude, that's a hell of an accomplishment. Now wait for Spelunky 2 and more ridiculous challenges.

Thanks. I'm not done yet though. I still have a solo eggplant run to do, an Anubis II run, beat the game with 1 million gold, and another shield run. Maybe another ghost chase run, this time on Hell. 

I hope Spelunky 2 has several trophies including a platinum, more challenging trophies would be excellent. I'll get it as soon as it's available.

Edited by Deceptrox

Well I managed speedlunky already. Took way more time to beat the game normally than to do this tbh. I took a break since I beat it came on today and got it already. Need the rest now like hell but my god does this game hate the player so much. 

Here's a horror story. I just had RNG gods bless me then quickly take it all away. I could of had City of gold, 500k, Hell and back all in 1 run. But a stupid bat knocked me into spikes in hell 2. Had 2 bats either side and had to go through, spikes at bottom and bat hits me into them. Sure the boss could of killed me but damn is it annoying when that stuff happens. First time making it to hell and run ends by a bat

4 hours ago, lilpain97 said:

Here's a horror story. I just had RNG gods bless me then quickly take it all away. I could of had City of gold, 500k, Hell and back all in 1 run. But a stupid bat knocked me into spikes in hell 2. Had 2 bats either side and had to go through, spikes at bottom and bat hits me into them. Sure the boss could of killed me but damn is it annoying when that stuff happens. First time making it to hell and run ends by a bat

C'mon, you platted Super Meat Boy, you can totally do this. Once you get the hang of Spelunky, 100% the game becomes really easy, just a bit time-consuming due to the random generated levels.

The game would be really tough to complete if it had trophies like completing the game by throwing an eggplant to Yamma's head, or killing him with Crysknive, or crushing him with the shield, to name a few, but even those ain't as bad as they seem, maybe the last one is, but I managed to do it again the other day and I wasn't really aiming at it (my aim was to complete the game with 1 million gold) but since the opportunity came, I took it.

Edited by Deceptrox

914k gold just to die at the hands of a vengeful shopkeeper on the second level of Hell. I had 14 hearts but the bastard got me good on a narrow space close to a ball 'n' chain trap. I knew I had put a bomb above the ball and chain instead of throwing them at the exit.

Edited by Deceptrox