No Man's Sky Being Investigated Over Misleading Ads.

DF007gamer

Thanks for the links.

Too bad Hello Games managed to weasel their way out of the investigation, now only more devs will try and do this.

It should be fairly clear by now that the brachiosaurus and rhinoceros prototype creatures just do not exist, and neither do sand worms, crashed freighters, mountains, rivers...

I agree with you that we might see much stuff being added in the future, the Foundation update has given me renewed hope (haven't played it yet myself though). And just like you, I do feel that this should have been made clear in advance. Personally, I think the graphics and AI will never reach the level of what we had been shown in early trailers.

I'll also add that I might retrade one of my played through games for No Man's Sky if they keep it up with the adding of stuff. A lot of the updates in the Foundation update look very promising, and I do hope that within a year we can actually explore sand planets and crashed freighters.

In fairness, not all of those things are on the Steam page - Sandworms, crashed freighters, don't make an appearance - and the Steam page was all that the ASA was concerned with. 

Still bullshit that they were in other trailers though. 

On things like the brontosaur and rhinos, etc, they explained that away as being possible to encounter as part of the randomness and procedural generation. I can't recall seeing anything since release though to suggest that an actual player of the game found anything like these creatures in-game. It'd be interesting to see what the 4 hours of gameplay footage that Hello Games provided to the ASA, and which YT videos they referred them to. 

Also, graphics that we got on PS4 are not so relevant, again because they were looking at Steam. Apparently the ASA was satisfied that the graphics shown on the Steam page could be achieved on PC.

Apparently the chap who made the reference to the ASA is appealing the decision, according to that Eurogamer article. 

Yeah, I might leave it another update or two before jumping back in myself, depending on what else they add to the game. If they're smart, they'll add some more trophies too. That'd definitely get some people coming back! xD

I did enjoy the game for what it was at launch. But there's no denying that it wasn't what those of us who had been following pre-release marketing closely (in particular) had been led to believe would be in the game. 

In fairness, not all of those things are on the Steam page - Sandworms, crashed freighters, don't make an appearance - and the Steam page was all that the ASA was concerned with. 

Still bullshit that they were in other trailers though. 

On things like the brontosaur and rhinos, etc, they explained that away as being possible to encounter as part of the randomness and procedural generation. I can't recall seeing anything since release though to suggest that an actual player of the game found anything like these creatures in-game. It'd be interesting to see what the 4 hours of gameplay footage that Hello Games provided to the ASA, and which YT videos they referred them to. 

Also, graphics that we got on PS4 are not so relevant, again because they were looking at Steam. Apparently the ASA was satisfied that the graphics shown on the Steam page could be achieved on PC.

Apparently the chap who made the reference to the ASA is appealing the decision, according to that Eurogamer article. 

Yeah, I might leave it another update or two before jumping back in myself, depending on what else they add to the game. If they're smart, they'll add some more trophies too. That'd definitely get some people coming back! xD

I did enjoy the game for what it was at launch. But there's no denying that it wasn't what those of us who had been following pre-release marketing closely (in particular) had been led to believe would be in the game. 

I did enjoy the game at launch, for over sixty hours I believe. It helps that I did not watch any news for the year or two before the game, so I didn't know back then just how far off it was from what was advertised.

With how much bits and pieces of creatures I've seen myself and from what I have seen from others I can honestly say that I don't believe the brachiosaurus-type (or even size) creatures exist in the game, and about 80% of the creatures don't really look that good. twisted necks, crooked dead arms... It was like the Spore creature creator all over again. Some stuff was really nice though, it's just that nothing of it was at the level of what they promised.

It seems clear that Mr Murray needs a media mummy to with with him on interviews in the future and prevent him going full Molyneux.  Just a gentle stun gunning when he starts detaching from reality.

As a game it was a fairly bog standard explore and crafting thing with a crappy crafting system, the last trophy for finding all fauna on X planets killed it for me, platted uninstalled went on to play something more enjoyable.  For a very small team its a fairly decent achievement to get it out and working.  It wasn't the worst game ever made but it does feel like Sony should have been a little more diligent with their research before backing it with so much promotion and fanfare.

• Like 1

It seems clear that Mr Murray needs a media mummy to with with him on interviews in the future and prevent him going full Molyneux.  Just a gentle stun gunning when he starts detaching from reality.

As a game it was a fairly bog standard explore and crafting thing with a crappy crafting system, the last trophy for finding all fauna on X planets killed it for me, platted uninstalled went on to play something more enjoyable.  For a very small team its a fairly decent achievement to get it out and working.  It wasn't the worst game ever made but it does feel like Sony should have been a little more diligent with their research before backing it with so much promotion and fanfare.

I played it back when the fauna thing was still glitched and you could upload empty planets. I did actually complete a bunch of inhabited planets though, and one of those wasn't even counted because I had already uploaded another planet before going back.

Personally it was the spaceship shooting that did it for me, that final hour or so was a drag. I just started shooting ships coming out of a space station at one point.

The Foundation update has no trohpies sadly, but I might just go back to the game about a year from now. I sold it right after obtaining the platinum though and I won't give Hello Games money again for it so I'll just trade something else I have already finished.

Personally it was the spaceship shooting that did it for me, that final hour or so was a drag. I just started shooting ships coming out of a space station at one point.

It was the survival one that did for me. I went for that after the patch, and spent almost 24 hours standing in a shelter on a EXTREME planet waiting for it to pop, checking back every now and again to top up my suit. (36 hours required, but I spent 12 or so exploring and finding all the fauna.)

What a drag that was. 

And that's not counting previous attempts where the "launch into space" glitch was still a thing. So those hours were wasted whenever the game decided to just throw me into space and nullify my time spent on whatever planet it was. 

It was the survival one that did for me. I went for that after the patch, and spent almost 24 hours standing in a shelter on a EXTREME planet waiting for it to pop, checking back every now and again to top up my suit. (36 hours required, but I spent 12 or so exploring and finding all the fauna.)

What a drag that was. 

And that's not counting previous attempts where the "launch into space" glitch was still a thing. So those hours were wasted whenever the game decided to just throw me into space and nullify my time spent on whatever planet it was. 

I had upgraded my space suit pretty good when I went for the survival. I just went outside, collecting resources both for new warp cores and to sell. I walked a whole lot on that planet, which reminds me that I have to share this:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/no-mans-sky-update-files-reveal-ground-vehicles-could-be-coming-future-patch-1593989

It didn't really take 36 hours though, right? In-game, yes, but I think the trophy pops after four or so real time hours.

I hope they add trophies through a later patch, for base building and stuff (and that you can actually see other people's bases). I'm not a trophy hunter but No Man's Sky has turned me off playing for the hell of it, I need to know I'm working towards something. Doesn't have to be trophies, completion of a story would be cool too (like the side missions in AC Syndicate which you don't get trophies for but which add to your in-game completion percentage) but I can't just go back to No Man's Sky just faffing about, it needs to have some added value other than being busy work for me.

I had upgraded my space suit pretty good when I went for the survival. I just went outside, collecting resources both for new warp cores and to sell. I walked a whole lot on that planet, which reminds me that I have to share this:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/no-mans-sky-update-files-reveal-ground-vehicles-could-be-coming-future-patch-1593989

It didn't really take 36 hours though, right? In-game, yes, but I think the trophy pops after four or so real time hours.

Yeah, I saw the news about ground vehicles being in the code for the game. That'd be a cool addition. Crafting unique ships, etc, would be a cool next step. 

Like you, trophies would make me pick it up again. Until then I can wait. I'll keep my eye on developments though. 

You're right, sorry, I got muddled. You had to spend 32 Sols (in game day-night cycles). This took about 8 hours in game. I think it took me around twice as long though, as I fell asleep while exploring, my character died, and I had to repeat the whole thing. Plus those "shoot into space" glitches screwed a couple of earlier attempts. 

More reading material for those interested on this update:

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/no-mans-sky-did-not-mislead-consumers-rules-advertising-standards/

Also, the fact that the ASA only looked at the Steam page, rather than the whole campaign ad (since a lot of lies were spread across multiple media platforms) is BS. Murray straight up lied to us without even saying a word on Fallon, when he was showing "live in-game content" without moving his fingers on the controller in his hand. Where's the Factions? Where's the Battles? WHERE'S THE MULTIPLAYER?????????