Nintendo cuts yearly forecast by 70%

Lady Lilith

http://www.zdnet.com/nintendo-cuts-full-year-forecast-by-70-percent-7000006299/

Japanese game console maker Nintendo has slashed its full-year profit forecast by 70 percent, blaming a weaker demand for its 3DS handheld player and a stronger yen.

In a statement Wednesday, the company said it expected net profit of just six billion yen (US$75 million), less than half its previous estimate of 20 billion yen (US$250 million). The cut was more drastic than the market estimates of 10.6 billion yen (US$132 million) according to a Bloomberg poll of 21 analysts.

Nintendo added it would continue to focus on selling its 3DS device during the second half of the fiscal year ending March 2013, and will expand its business by launching the Wii U system--the successor of its hit game console Wii for the year-end holiday season.

The company reported it had narrowed its net loss for the first half ended September to 28 billion yen (US$350 million) from 70.3 billion yen (US$881 million) a year earlier, in an earnings announcement the same day.

Slower sales expected

It is bracing itself for slower sales, lowering its full-year forecast for the 3DS by a million, to 17.5 million units. Weak demand for the device, launched in February last year, had forced Nintendo to slash the price of the new gadget by about one-third a year ago, noted Reuters.

The new Wii U is scheduled to go on sale in the United States on Nov. 18. It will be its first hardware product in six years, and will boast a tablet-like touchscreen controller and a social network. In the statement, Nintendo forecast it would sell 5.5 million Wii U units by March next year.

Nintendo has been slowly losing ground to its rivals such as Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's Playstation, and other game devices. The company is banking on its new console to turn around its fortunes after posting its first annual operating loss in three decades last year.

Well maybe this wouldn't happen if they made the Wii a real console. Sure, the Wii was cool for a while after it released, but then the novelty wore off as motion controls were exposed as a gimmick, coupled with the console being drastically underpowered compared to the PS3/360. Looks like they're going to repeat the same mistake with the Wii U...

It will be interesting to see how the WiiU launches. If it has a great launch I forsee a ton a crappy shovelware with a few gems in between the shit, but if it doesn't sell as much as they'd like, hopefully Nintendo will get their act together and makes games for gamers again. Even though I was always a Genesis guy, I miss the Nintendo from the NES and SNES days.

Parker

Wasn't Nintendo big at one point? It's sad to see such a well known gaming company turn to shit in the last few years. But, they keep churning out the same shit every years with a new Mario game or something. Nintendo is falling apart slowly and I do believe the Wii U will only make things worse since all the "hardcore" gamers are already on PS3, PC, 360, etc. Launches for the system like Assassin's Creed III scream desperate as I can simply pick up an Xbox 360 for cheaper with a copy of ACIII.

Wasn't Nintendo big at one point? It's sad to see such a well known gaming company turn to shit in the last few years. But, they keep churning out the same shit every years with a new Mario game or something. Nintendo is falling apart slowly and I do believe the Wii U will only make things worse since all the "hardcore" gamers are already on PS3, PC, 360, etc. Launches for the system like Assassin's Creed III scream desperate as I can simply pick up an Xbox 360 for cheaper with a copy of ACIII.

Tell me about it! Nintendo is out of touch. It is ridiculous that they keep releasing last gen consoles and calling it current gen or latest gen. Even the PS2 had better graphics in my opinion than the Wii!!! Here is my theory. It may be wrong, but here it is. The WiiU will not sell well. I cannot tell you how many elderly people I have found to have Wiis for exercise reasons. Casual "gamers" like these seem to have been the main purchasers of the Wii. If this theory is true, then I doubt these elderly people would really care about a console with better graphics. They have Wii for their exercise routines, and if it works, then why replace it for a couple hundred more dollars? They won't. I am sure there are alot of regular gamers that have Wiis, but I do not see the Wii U selling NEARLY as well as the original. This is my theory on the matter.

Nintendo, now you know what it feels like to be Sony. Hopefully you'll get a clue and stop making damn gimmicks. Just make good games for once!

I agree completely except for the Sony part. Actually, I believe the PS3 is on track to pass the 360 in terms of sales. That is the last I heard. Sony in terms of their gaming division is doing well. However, the same can't be said for the rest of Sony. I'm looking at you lame 3D TV's :)

• Like 1

Tell me about it! Nintendo is out of touch. It is ridiculous that they keep releasing last gen consoles and calling it current gen or latest gen. Even the PS2 had better graphics in my opinion than the Wii!!! Here is my theory. It may be wrong, but here it is. The WiiU will not sell well. I cannot tell you how many elderly people I have found to have Wiis for exercise reasons. Casual "gamers" like these seem to have been the main purchasers of the Wii. If this theory is true, then I doubt these elderly people would really care about a console with better graphics. They have Wii for their exercise routines, and if it works, then why replace it for a couple hundred more dollars? They won't. I am sure there are alot of regular gamers that have Wiis, but I do not see the Wii U selling NEARLY as well as the original. This is my theory on the matter.

I agree completely except for the Sony part. Actually, I believe the PS3 is on track to pass the 360 in terms of sales. That is the last I heard. Sony in terms of their gaming division is doing well. However, the same can't be said for the rest of Sony. I'm looking at you lame 3D TV's :)

You're absolutely right in my opinion (and the elderly part was funny). Some of the games that were produced on the Wii were good though: Dead Space: Extraction, House of the Dead: Overkill, etc. But they can only be so good to a point where you can see it should be in the PSN store for half the price it is. Nintendo should stick to dominating the handheld market and innovate it as they clearly have for the last few years.

• Like 1

What I meant was that when the PS3 was operating at a loss, like true systems do, instead of having a crappy gimmick that only lasts 3 years.

Sony is dominating in Japan and is doing pretty good in Europe and ok in America. 360 is pretty much non-existent outside America. I went to an electronics store when I went to Azores for vacation and the only games there were by Sony and Nintendo. They weren't behind in tech since they had 3DS' and Vita's on display. Not one 360 game or console to be seen.

cuteswear.gif

Sony is dominating in Japan and is doing pretty good in Europe and ok in America. 360 is pretty much non-existent outside America. I went to an electronics store when I went to Azores for vacation and the only games there were by Sony and Nintendo. They weren't behind in tech since they had 3DS' and Vita's on display. Not one 360 game or console to be seen.

What is funny is when I was in Ukraine, you couldn't buy anything PS3 but they had wii, x360, ps2 etc. When I asked why it was because it was too expensive to play games on the ps3 as opposed to the other systems. I found out what he meant when I noticed everything being sold was a burnt copy (and I am talking about major retailers there).

What is funny is when I was in Ukraine, you couldn't buy anything PS3 but they had wii, x360, ps2 etc. When I asked why it was because it was too expensive to play games on the ps3 as opposed to the other systems. I found out what he meant when I noticed everything being sold was a burnt copy (and I am talking about major retailers there).

How long ago was that? I went to that store in Azores back in July.

cuteswear.gif

Hmmm.....that is very interesting indeed. From what you say, Microsoft seems to be centered on America, while Sony is more global. It makes alot of sense then to know that Sony's gaming division is making a good profit.

This will never happen, the 360 has a pretty comfortable grip on the market, both in users and overall units sold. Unless there is a sudden surge in sales - which is unlikely considering the next generation is just around the corner - I really cannot see Sony closing that 2 million gap.

I'll give Sony some credit though for even getting close to the 360's overall sales figure, especially considering that the PS3 released later than the 360, was more expensive, and was arguably the inferior console.

In my opinion I think the exclusive titles are to thank really, I bought a PS3 for the exclusives, so did my 2 friends.

• Like 1

This will never happen, the 360 has a pretty comfortable grip on the market, both in users and overall units sold. Unless there is a sudden surge in sales - which is unlikely considering the next generation is just around the corner - I really cannot see Sony closing that 2 million gap.

I'll give Sony some credit though for even getting close to the 360's overall sales figure, especially considering that the PS3 released later than the 360, was more expensive, and was arguably the inferior console.

In my opinion I think the exclusive titles are to thank really, I bought a PS3 for the exclusives, so did my 2 friends.

Very good point, Azure. There may yet be time, but who knows?