Reviews were right about this game

DuckSwimmer

Well. I picked this game up because I did want to experience the game. What the game is about intrigues me so I picked it up today. Well, the game did live up to it's reviews unfortunately in my opinion. 

The IGN review here

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/09/robinson-the-journey-review

The beginning of the game where they were introducing everything was good, just as soon as I got into the space pod.. I knew this game was gonna kill me. My motion sickness is set off if there's either really fast movement and it's just like what the hell kind of thing is this.. or it's extremely choppy... This game falls into the choppy movement category of my motion sickness.. When you turn, it's like you rapidly turn yourself in a choppy manner.. I'm not really understanding how developers can't just make the turn features nice and smooth like some other VR games..

Here was the replay of my stream

https://www.twitch.tv/laurbeary/v/101650768

At 3 minutes I knew it was gonna hit me.. lmao. Not to mention near the end of the stream I forgot I wasn't even talking because I was too focused on controlling my motion sickness. I also have a bit of a headache.. I played this game for 27 minutes and I had to stop because I was just getting too sick..

Not sure how everyone else is with this game, but this is my personal opinion on the game, agreeing with IGNs meh review on it.. I mean, at least it's a finished game unlike other VR games out there.

I haven't seen anyone post a "negative" review about this game. So I thought id do so to maybe make some buyers think before they buy if they really want this game and think they have the stomach to handle it.

Edited by DuckSwimmer
  • Like 2

Let me do a review better than IGN's:

You called the thing Fluffy (even though it had no feathers or fur, but it's alright, freedom of choice), game called it something else. 2/10, fuck this game.

EDIT: FUCKING BEYOND THE GRAVE GIVING MY SCORE BEFORE I DID, I SEE THE FUCKING COLORS IN YOUR AVATAR, I KNOW YOU ARE A FUCKING NINJA, I GOT MY EYES ON YOU. :ninja:

Saw you getting dizzy at 3min, decided not to watch anymore, I'm not sadist.

Edited by TheYuriG
  • Like 2

Let me do a review better than IGN's:

You called the thing Fluffy (even though it had no feathers or fur, but it's alright, freedom of choice), game called it something else. 2/10, fuck this game.

EDIT: FUCKING BEYOND THE GRAVE GIVING MY SCORE BEFORE I DID, I SEE THE FUCKING COLORS IN YOUR AVATAR, I KNOW YOU ARE A FUCKING NINJA, I GOT MY EYES ON YOU. :ninja:

Saw you getting dizzy at 3min, decided not to watch anymore, I'm not sadist.

I then wanted to call it Squishyyy. Like the little Jellyfish from Finding Nemo that Dory names, lmao.

IGN giving this game a 5.5 is the equivalent of a 2/10.

The game sounds great, but it's unfortunate that it didn't live up to Its potential.

Literally exactly why I bought it.. Welp, now I'm stuck with a $40 game that I'll gradually try to play without throwing up. I got disssssss. 
Edited by DuckSwimmer
  • Like 1

Actually, there are settings in the options menu where you can change to have the turning smooth instead of the "pie chart" default setting.  However, it made me MORE sick, and I immediately saw why the pie chart setting is the default.

I'm curious how they can mess up smooth turning.. Unless it's like turning in Rigs, then I can understand.

• 1 month later...

I had no issues with sickness whatsoever.  Perhaps you're just more sensitive and VR isn't the best choice for you?  Late in the game you'll be dropping from heights.  You definitely won't like that part if you're sick from just walking around.  Hopefully you'll just get your VR legs and be fine 

Edit:  I used the settings for view that were literally marked with the biggest warnings for motion sickness, smooth rotaion (which is a bit too fast imo, takes getting used to because it's so sensitive) and no slow down of movement if looking down or close to objects.  I thank the developers for allowing those options. The pie chart scheme is absolutely crap.  I realize people will get sick, but there should be an option for those of us with iron stomachs wanting a thrilling experience.  

Edited by Nipzie
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 5:44 PM, TomHoang said:

Actually, there are settings in the options menu where you can change to have the turning smooth instead of the "pie chart" default setting.  However, it made me MORE sick, and I immediately saw why the pie chart setting is the default.

I may have to check this out. The game gives me a headache after awhile. The first time I played it I got motion sickness (but maybe it was because I was hangover).

Just finished the story, going to clean up and get the platinum!

• 6 months later...
On 22/01/2017 at 1:23 AM, Nipzie said:

I had no issues with sickness whatsoever.  Perhaps you're just more sensitive and VR isn't the best choice for you?  Late in the game you'll be dropping from heights.  You definitely won't like that part if you're sick from just walking around.  Hopefully you'll just get your VR legs and be fine 

Edit:  I used the settings for view that were literally marked with the biggest warnings for motion sickness, smooth rotaion (which is a bit too fast imo, takes getting used to because it's so sensitive) and no slow down of movement if looking down or close to objects.  I thank the developers for allowing those options. The pie chart scheme is absolutely crap.  I realize people will get sick, but there should be an option for those of us with iron stomachs wanting a thrilling experience.  

On 03/05/2017 at 5:51 AM, DrHambone said:

I may have to check this out. The game gives me a headache after awhile. The first time I played it I got motion sickness (but maybe it was because I was hangover).

Just finished the story, going to clean up and get the platinum!

So, to everyone who can get through the motion, how is the game itself?

It's one of the titles I looked forward to playing, a lot (yay Walking With Dinosaurs VR!) but all the mediocre/negative reviews made me wary.

Note thatthe new price was €50 but it has been on sale for €25 already and probably will be on sale again before long.

• 1 month later...
On 27/11/2017 at 10:02 AM, Pickle Rick said:

So, to everyone who can get through the motion, how is the game itself?

It's one of the titles I looked forward to playing, a lot (yay Walking With Dinosaurs VR!) but all the mediocre/negative reviews made me wary.

Note thatthe new price was €50 but it has been on sale for €25 already and probably will be on sale again before long.

Well, nobody answered so I decided to just buy it now that it's on sale for €20. I also bought Time Machine VR, and in the past month I bought and played through a few VR games that were easy on the motion senses (Statik, Accounting+, The Lost Bear).

I played a wee little bit of Robinson and felt queezy, though I blame this on it being late, me being tired and having played several hours of other VR games already. Will play again soon, when I feel a bit fresher.

It looks good though.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

This game is amazing, the graphics are really well done, the loading times are miniscule and hidden. Environments are lush, vibrant and charming. Voice acting and story are good as well. Don't knock this game because YOU have motion sickness, like that's the developers problem. I give the game a 10, it achieved what it was going for, educational, adventure and charming story. 

• Like 2