Yakuza 6 and Yakuza Kiwami COMING WEST

XShadowYakuzaX

According to the blog, Kiwami only has Japanese audio. Contrary to what some of my previous posts (expressing my love of good English dubs) might suggest, I fully support this. This series is about Japanese culture and even I wouldn't see the point in an English dub (which the original PS2 version apparently had). 

You have seen the light! :D

You mean remasters for the first two games? Well, Sega said that they were "investigating" ways to make it possible. They just need to figure out the licensing issues. I'm positive we'll see Shenmue 1 & 2 remasters before Shenmue 3 comes out. That gives them a pretty large time frame. :P

That is implying Shenmue 3 comes within viable timeframe :D

If you're talking about PS2 classics, then they are neither remasters or remakes. They're simply emulated versions of the original game. Everything you're describing are only minor tweaks and they don't take much effort at all, even less so than a fully fledged remaster. The games themselves aren't being modified, the emulator itself is what brings most of those benefits.

Yup, those are remasters. Most of these remasters get handed down to another studio who then proceed to bump up the resolution, add widescreen, fix glitches, etc. The important difference between this and a remake is that they don't make vast changes like adding new scenes, new mechanics, etc. They're just improving upon the assets from the original.

See, this is where it gets confusing to me (surely I'm not the only one). I'm not sure if you're only talking about PS2 classics on PS3, but PS2 games on PS4 have trophies. Somebody has to go back into the code and insert the triggers for those trophies. Sure it's being done at the emulator level presumably, but it doesn't "automatically" come with the emulator. In addition, some of those PS2 games even get post-release patches to fix glitches. So if a patch is fixing glitches, surely that makes the game a remaster by your definition? :P Still, it appears that far less work is done for them than "HD" PS2 games on PS3 (like the R&C Collection), which is why I said there are varying levels of work done for every type of remake/reimaging/reboot/remaster/whatever-the-hell-term-they-come-up-with-next. 

On a side note, it will be interesting if we ever get emulated PS4 versions of Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, because even the PS3 HD versions did not allow you to pause the game during cutscenes, but the PS4 versions would seemingly force that to happen because the PS4 menu is an "escape" rather than an overlay like on PS3 (yes, I know many if not most PS3 games do indeed pause when you hit the PS button, but not all of them do). Of course, multiplayer games don't pause, but I don't know of any singleplayer games that do. I don't play enough MP games to know how that works but obviously they don't let you cheat like that. Also, I didn't play them myself, but a friend of mine confirmed that the Vita versions of MGS2 and 3 pause since the Vita menu works like the PS4 in that respect. That's a pretty major improvement IMO, especially for those long cutscenes. :)

You have seen the light! :D

I'm glad you noticed. I posted that pretty much just for you. :)

Anyway, this doesn't change my preference for English dubs in Japanese games that aren't obviously about Japanese culture. So yes, I'll still play my HDN games in English. But for games like the Yakuza series, where the game is completely about Japan and its culture (e.g. Hostess Clubs), an English dub makes no sense to me, like English-dubbed Chinese Jackie Chan movies.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Well, this is a thread about Yakuza 6 and Kiwami, so I'm not sure what else you were referring to. :P

You yourself (and others) have made references to other games in this thread, so that ^ comment is completely invalid.

Anyway, Shenmue I and II are 'probably' coming at some stage, it would be nice if SEGA kept their re-master hats on and gave us Yakuza 3 and 4 aswell.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

You yourself (and others) have made references to other games in this thread, so that ^ comment is completely invalid.

Anyway, Shenmue I and II are 'probably' coming at some stage, it would be nice if SEGA kept their re-master hats on and gave us Yakuza 3 and 4 aswell.

If we did talk about other games, we named them. If you don't name what games you're talking about, naturally one would assume you're talking about the game in the thread title. You still haven't said what game you were referring to with that post. The Shenmue discussion came after.

I make lots of Shenmue posts, including 2 threads on this very board regarding the HD re-masters and Shenmue III.

The only reason why i didnt mention Shenmue is cos i always do, and i didnt want to be that transparent and predictable, the only time i don't mention 'Shenmue' this happens :)

So to clarify, when I mentioned SEGA keeping it's HD re-mastering hat on a while longer I was referring to both Shenmue I and II and to a lesser extent also Yakuza 3 and 4.

That's the last on the subject from me, as it has derailed the OP somewhat, you can reply further if you want, but I have (needlessly in my opinion) said my piece.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...