Yakuza 6 and Yakuza Kiwami COMING WEST

XShadowYakuzaX

This is definitely one of the best announcements of the whole year for me. I love the Yakuza series and I'm so happy to hear more of the games are getting localised. It was pretty bleak for us Yakuza fans a few years back and it looked like the only way we were gonna play some of these games is if we imported, so I'm glad that's no longer the case. :) I don't wanna push our luck, but how about that Ishin localisation next? ;)

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 1

Thanks for info, another great news for today :) I hope to see Yakuza 1 & 2 HD someday in EU on PS4 as well.

Yakuza Kiwami is basically a remastered Yakuza 1, story is still the same, just a few differences with mechanics and of course graphics. I have feeling that they will remaster the others up untill 4 at least.

This is definitely one of the best announcements of the whole year for me. I love the Yakuza series and I'm so happy to hear more of the games are getting localised. It was pretty bleak for us Yakuza fans a few years back and it looked like the only way we were gonna play some of these games is if we imported, so I'm glad that's no longer the case. :) I don't wanna push our luck, but how about that Ishin localisation next? ;)

I think that has to do with branding. Kenzan and Ishin are not technically 'Yakuza' games in that they have no bearing to the main series (at least Dead souls did) and have stronger ties to Japanese history/culture, so I can see why there hesitant to localise those. But hey can't bite the hand that feeds ya.

Yakuza Kiwami is basically a remastered Yakuza 1, story is still the same, just a few differences with mechanics and of course graphics. I have feeling that they will remaster the others up untill 4 at least.

Kiwami is actually the remake of yakuza 1, I hope they eventually remake the 2nd game though as the ps2 versions are stupid expensive

Wonderful news, one of the best announcement they did yesterday :3

Now i REALLY should go back to the 3rd one and get the 4Th one or i'll never catch up xD

And Happy about Kiwami, didn't know it was a remake of the first one, Wonderful it looked so cool from the Summary videos in Yakuza 3!

I only played Yakuza 4 on PS3, but I moved onto other games and never finished it. I'm glad that now with Kiwami, I'll have the chance to start at the beginning (I don't have a PS2 or a backwards-compatible PS3). I really liked Yakuza 4 from what I played, and it's been long enough since I tried it out that I've forgotten everything I saw in the "memories" area (which summarized the 1st through 3rd games). 

According to the blog, Kiwami only has Japanese audio. Contrary to what some of my previous posts (expressing my love of good English dubs) might suggest, I fully support this. This series is about Japanese culture and even I wouldn't see the point in an English dub (which the original PS2 version apparently had).

Kiwami is a remake, though, not a remaster. :P

You can't blame people for getting confused since marketing and developers often stress how something "isn't a remake", and the upcoming Crash Bandicoot remake is being called "Remaster Plus". It's not just games that suffer from "re-" confusion either, it's movies, TV shows, and other things. I know movies have struggled with the word "reboot". Maybe we should just start calling everything that is re-done "Re-things". :) Edited by MosesRockefeller

According to the blog, Kiwami only has Japanese audio. Contrary to what some of my previous posts (expressing my love of good English dubs) might suggest, I fully support this. This series is about Japanese culture and even I wouldn't see the point in an English dub (which the original PS2 version apparently had).

Yup, the first Yakuza game was the only one to have an English dub. The Japanese voice actors are one and the same with the characters for me, though. Hearing them in English is just... wrong. :P

You can't blame people for getting confused since marketing and developers often stress how something "isn't a remake", and the upcoming Crash Bandicoot remake is being called "Remaster Plus". It's not just games that suffer from "re-" confusion either, it's movies, TV shows, and other things. I know movies have struggled with the word "reboot". Maybe we should just start calling everything that is re-done "Re-things". :)

I dunno, I can tell the difference between a remake and a remaster pretty easily. :P It's true that even people inside the industry use the wrong word, though. The new Crash game is in no way a remaster, despite what they may call it. It's been built from the ground up and has both visual and gameplay tweaks. It's a remake, dammit. :P Yakuza 1 & Yakuza 2 actually got remasters on PS3 in Japan. If you compare those to Kiwami, it's easy to tell which one is the remake and which one is the remaster.

Kiwami is easily the nicest remake I have ever played, It's also the 1st game I bought in Japan. I'd buy the English version when it's released, this also reminds me to finish Zero before the English release. The Yakuza games are just awesome, here's hoping that Shenmue shows up eventually.

The Yakuza games are just awesome, here's hoping that Shenmue shows up eventually.

You mean remasters for the first two games? Well, Sega said that they were "investigating" ways to make it possible. They just need to figure out the licensing issues. I'm positive we'll see Shenmue 1 & 2 remasters before Shenmue 3 comes out. That gives them a pretty large time frame. :P

• Like 1

I dunno, I can tell the difference between a remake and a remaster pretty easily. :P It's true that even people inside the industry use the wrong word, though. The new Crash game is in no way a remaster, despite what they may call it. It's been built from the ground up and has both visual and gameplay tweaks. It's a remake, dammit. :P Yakuza 1 & Yakuza 2 actually got remasters on PS3 in Japan. If you compare those to Kiwami, it's easy to tell which one is the remake and which one is the remaster.

So is it only a remake if it's built from the ground up? PS4 versions of PS2 games have the graphics up-rezzed, framerate increases (I think), screen/video sharing abilities, trophy support, and other things changed. I'm not sure about gameplay tweaks but in some cases they probably do have them. So are those games remasters or remakes? What about PS3 versions of PS2 games like the Ratchet and Clank collection (i.e. the first 3 games) where there were quite a few glitches and other changes (some intentional, others not) beyond what the PS2-on-PS4 games do? Those did a lot more than the emulated bare-bones PS2 Classics (on PS3, not PS4). Then you have games like Ratchet and Clank PS4 (which everyone agrees is a remake), that has large changes such as new characters and guns and completely changing the final boss battle, which is far more substantial than what has been revealed about the Crash trilogy. 

I think the line is blurrier than it might seem. There are various levels of remastering and remaking, depending on how much work is put into it. It's easy to get lost in the terminology since it is used inconsistently and there are varying levels of changes ports get, depending on how they are made. When a game clearly sets itself out as a remake though, with lots of new gameplay features added and highlighted, then it's a clear case. 

So in this case, I agree that Yakuza Kiwami is a remake. :P

Edited by MosesRockefeller

So is it only a remake if it's built from the ground up? PS4 versions of PS2 games have the graphics up-rezzed, framerate increases (I think), screen/video sharing abilities, trophy support, and other things changed. I'm not sure about gameplay tweaks but in some cases they probably do have them. So are those games remasters or remakes?

If you're talking about PS2 classics, then they are neither remasters or remakes. They're simply emulated versions of the original game. Everything you're describing are only minor tweaks and they don't take much effort at all, even less so than a fully fledged remaster. The games themselves aren't being modified, the emulator itself is what brings most of those benefits.

What about PS3 versions of PS2 games like the Ratchet and Clank collection (i.e. the first 3 games) where there were quite a few glitches and other changes (some intentional, others not) beyond what the PS2-on-PS4 games do? Those did a lot more than the emulated bare-bones PS2 Classics (on PS3, not PS4). 

Yup, those are remasters. Most of these remasters get handed down to another studio who then proceed to bump up the resolution, add widescreen, fix glitches, etc. The important difference between this and a remake is that they don't make vast changes like adding new scenes, new mechanics, etc. They're just improving upon the assets from the original.

Then you have games like Ratchet and Clank PS4 (which everyone agrees is a remake), that has large changes such as new characters and guns and completely changing the final boss battle, which is far more substantial than what has been revealed about the Crash trilogy. 

Well actually, Ratchet & Clank on PS4 is much more of a re-imagining than a remake. Are you keeping up with this? :P  A remake is creating new assets, new scenes, new mechanics, etc, but keeping what made the original game intact. Ratchet & Clank on PS4 completely reworks the story and levels. It's closer to being a totally new game than a remake of the original.

Edited by Undead Wolf