The hardest type of trophy

MoreTheVictim

Hardest type of trophies  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What type of trophy do you consider to be the hardest?

• Co-op/Online
    • Luck/Random based
    • Hardest difficulty
    • Timed objectives
    • Hardest difficulty combined with condition (no dieing, falling, etc)
    • Timed objectives combined with condition (no dieing, falling, etc)
    • Hardest difficulty combined with time limit
    • 100% completition
    • Grinding Items/Skill/Level, etc
    • Play time
    • Missable
    • DLC
    • Other

Well, most difficult goes to the impossible ones of course. Glitched trophies and online ones for games that no longer have servers up.

Barring those it's all down to time consumption. A trophy that takes 100 hours is harder than one that takes 30 hours is harder than one that takes 10 hours and so on. People often differentiate 'skill trophies' vs 'dedication trophies'... but really skill is just another form of dedication. Put enough time into the game and you'll eventually play it well enough to earn any specific trophy. If the average player can get good enough at a game faster than they can collect 1000 pieces of crap off the ground then it's more difficult to collect 1000 pieces of crap off the ground.

Of course if you say a skill one is still fun, there's improvement, whatever where as grinding is just tedious and multiplayer just frustrating... then you're measuring difficulty as how long you have to play the game without enjoying it. That difficulty should never really exist since if you're not having fun earning the plat you shouldn't be going for it.

Now most frustrating trophy, that's a different story altogether. Luck based ones take the cake for that because they usually involve repetition of short segments, no visible progress until x actually occurs and feel incredibly unrewarding when they do occur.

• Like 2

Well, most difficult goes to the impossible ones of course. Glitched trophies and online ones for games that no longer have servers up.

Barring those it's all down to time consumption. A trophy that takes 100 hours is harder than one that takes 30 hours is harder than one that takes 10 hours and so on. People often differentiate 'skill trophies' vs 'dedication trophies'... but really skill is just another form of dedication. Put enough time into the game and you'll eventually play it well enough to earn any specific trophy. If the average player can get good enough at a game faster than they can collect 1000 pieces of crap off the ground then it's more difficult to collect 1000 pieces of crap off the ground.

Of course if you say a skill one is still fun, there's improvement, whatever where as grinding is just tedious and multiplayer just frustrating... then you're measuring difficulty as how long you have to play the game without enjoying it. That difficulty should never really exist since if you're not having fun earning the plat you shouldn't be going for it.

Now most frustrating trophy, that's a different story altogether. Luck based ones take the cake for that because they usually involve repetition of short segments, no visible progress until x actually occurs and feel incredibly unrewarding when they do occur.

Kind of took the words out of my mouth.

I think the poll is missing a "skill based" option to vote for. For me the hardest trophies I've encoutered are the trials in Street Fighter 4, so I choose Hardest Difficulty since it was the closest matching category I guess...

But yea, I agree tho that it comes down to time invested, the reason tho I think these trophies are harder, for the average gamer, is becaue the battle against despair ("I'll never get this...fucking f***g as***le why they make it so hard!!!!") is harder than the battle against tedium ("This is gonna take for ever...f***g as***le develpers on what planet do they think people want to play this game for this many hours!!!").

I can see why the random luck ones would be a perfectly valid and more defensible choice tho, but I've encoutered a handful at this point and none of them gave me any problems. The worst so far was probably spending about 20 mins to hit the slot machine jackpot in Bioshock.

Edited by lporiginalg

Kind of took the words out of my mouth.

I think the poll is missing a "skill based" option to vote for. For me the hardest trophies I've encoutered are the trials in Street Fighter 4, so I choose Hardest Difficulty since it was the closest matching category I guess...

But yea, I agree tho that it comes down to time invested, the reason tho I think these trophies are harder, for the average gamer, is becaue the battle against despair ("I'll never get this...fucking f***g as***le why they make it so hard!!!!") is harder than the battle against tedium ("This is gonna take for ever...f***g as***le develpers on what planet do they think people want to play this game for this many hours!!!").

I can see why the random luck ones would be a perfectly valid and more defensible choice tho, but I've encoutered a handful at this point and none of them gave me any problems. The worst so far was probably spending about 20 mins to hit the slot machine jackpot in Bioshock.

Well I haven't actually really trophy hunted, so my opinion will probably be different if I ever start. That said the games I've played that are difficult (Wipeout HD, Dark Souls) I always feel like I'm improving in, so even if I still get my ass handed to me it's not frustrating. I never feel like unable to reach some goal if I continue to see improvement... skill plateaus are tough to push through, but I think I could get passed those easier than I could get through a really long grind.

It's worth noting that I haven't played any truly tough games (SF4, NGS, etc) yet so that opinion could also easily change... I guess it depends how brutal the game/trophy requirements are. If Beat Zico involved beating 28 seconds... it's possible I would fully plateau before I got there.

Oh and when I factor in luck I include trophies like Fort's jackpot, but also include the online ones where you have to get so many people together, etc. Fundamentally those are luck-based trophies too. Even if you organize it there's a good chance something will screw it up, and it will be totally unrelated to any player's skill. Basically it's a grind for something, and those always feel pointless, except there's no visible progression and if you get close (you almost set something up) it can be screwed up a lot easier than an item grind can. Quite painful...

Edited by ToMyFallenHomies

Online Trophies can be down right frusturating,Co-op for the random dropping out

if it requires more then 2 players (i.e. Dead Island) or Versus with those god-awful

rage quitters/poor team members (Resident Evil 5 Versus).Took me forever in a day to acheive the team survivor

trophy with people just being butthurt cause they got hit with a rocket launcher.

Grinding trophies can be well.."a grind" but i seem to have more patience

on those as opposed to network based ones.

I think it depends, because for co-op, what if you can't find people let alone decent people who want to get the trophy and know how to do it.

Hard what if it's too hard, like time what if it's too hard not to mention rushing the game (though you may rush the game for the sake of the leaderboard or accomplishment).

Luck trophies to me what's the point in them, there's no sense of accomplishment not to mention time being wasted.

Missible trophies are debatable as it depends on other factors like the game difficulty and what routes are there.

Grinding trophies they don't bother me.