Velocity 2X gets a physical release (PS4 & PS Vita)

crimsonidol38

Critical Mass on PS4
Coming to PS4 is Velocity 2X: Critical Mass Edition; all the awesome stuff you know and love, along with a soundtrack CD and some secret (yet to be announced) bonus content that is super valuable.
Keep your eyes peeled for more information…

mEmbpge.jpg

[click image for larger resolution]

Physical on Vita
Coming to PS Vita is Velocity 2X, with a bonus copy of Velocity Ultra bundled digitally!
All those prayers finally answered!

4isWgIg.jpg

[click image for larger resolution]

Epic thanks to BadLand Games for all their effort in making these physical releases a reality, we can’t wait to see them on the high street!

http://www.futurlab.co.uk/velocity-2x-physical-releases.html

I'm quite surprised that Futurlab decided to make a retail version. The good thing is: It's no Limited Run-release and therefor it's more likely to get a copy.

Still I wonder about the price and the exact release date. Badland Games mention a release in Q2 2017:

Edited by Crimson Idol
Editor screwed up

Me reading through this:

>Cool, really cool, too bad the first one isn't in there though, but I guess it's not on PS4 so oh well.

>>Oh, there's a Vita version and it comes with the first one. Kinda weird it's not on the cart too but oh well.

All in all, pretty great. I'd grab a copy if the price was right and it even gets released in Australia but I already have both of those games, and the original PS Mini one on top of it. 

6 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

All in all, pretty great. I'd grab a copy if the price was right and it even gets released in Australia but I already have both of those games, and the original PS Mini one on top of it. 

I guess it's hard to say whether the retail will also come to Australia. Badland Games seems to be based in Spain and some of the games which they published as retail (e.g. Dex, Heart & Slash OlliOlli 2, Anima: Gate of Memories) were brought to other countries by other publishers. You might have to check your local retailers.

58 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

While thus is an awesome game for sure, I am wondering why so many small titles suddenly get retail releases. It's a waste of disc space, you can put two dozen of those games on a disc and you'd have some spare room left.

Does the file size really matter regarding the decision whether a game should get a retail copy or not?

If that's the case then I hope that Nintendo will do a product recall for all those Super Mario All-Stars Wii-discs as the game only used 40MB of the 4,7GB-disc. :P

I think it's fine as long as it's profitable for the devs and the publisher (and the game is at least of good quality gameplay-wise).

23 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Does the file size really matter regarding the decision whether a game should get a retail copy or not?

If that's the case then I hope that Nintendo will do a product recall for all those Super Mario All-Stars Wii-discs as the game only used 40MB of the 4,7GB-disc. :P

I think it's fine as long as it's profitable for the devs and the publisher (and the game is at least of good quality gameplay-wise).

Wait what, they put All Stars on a disc? What the hell? Not cool, just let people download it... 

I think it is weird to bring games this small on avdisc, the whole point of digital games was that all devs could get their game out there at zero product cost and material waste...

4 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Wait what, they put All Stars on a disc? What the hell? Not cool, just let people download it... 

I think it is weird to bring games this small on avdisc, the whole point of digital games was that all devs could get their game out there at zero product cost and material waste...

Some of us only see the stripping of our first sale rights with digital copies. We don't see it as material waste at all as it's not like these just get thrown out after they're played. We can lend or sell them or just keep them for cool looking collections/room decor.

There's still a large swath of people who impulse buy games at physical stores and this release may just expand the potential number of new buyers. More options never really hurt anyone.

FWIW, physical material costs are quite low, it's the distribution where the costs really start to add up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

Some of us only see the stripping of our first sale rights with digital copies. We don't see it as material waste at all as it's not like these just get thrown out after they're played. We can lend or sell them or just keep them for cool looking collections/room decor.

There's still a large swath of people who impulse buy games at physical stores and this release may just expand the potential number of new buyers. More options never really hurt anyone.

FWIW, physical material costs are quite low, it's the distribution where the costs really start to add up.

Sorry, might have phrased my post better. With material waste, I mean that we're wasting material resources on stuff like this, not that the product itself is waste. Also, with product cost I meant all cists, not just the resources themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I love Velocity 2X and I'd rate it amongst the top PSN games I ever played, I just don't see games like this as individual retail. 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017 at 5:32 AM, Happy said:

I could swear that i saw a physical copy of 2X at the local game shop a couple weeks ago. Maybe i’m just going insane though.

I'm pretty sure it released in EU on time. It's delayed for NA. So you're not going crazy.

Edited by SliK6SiK
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017 at 5:11 AM, SliK6SiK said:

Release got delayed like 4 times on Amazon already, starting from October to now January 23rd. 

Update: Yet another delay to now: Release date: Tuesday, March 6, 2018

The publisher, BadLand should just drop the Land. For a game that was already done digitally and for a CE that was already released in EU to have these many delays is embarrassing and sad. I'm considering just cancelling my preorder. 

• 1 month later...