Permadeath and 100% completion discussion

AlcoholicDinosaw

So a couple of months ago I checked out the trophy list for this game and of course watched some gameplay of it and it looked pretty fun, in doing that, I ordered it, once I got the game I decided to check out the trophy list once more so I can have some kind of plan for the platinum until I discovered that a DLC has been added, now I've ever had a problem with a game adding DLC, extra trophies right ;) But this time it's different, I've noticed that out of the near 2000 DLC owners, only less than 10 have finished Permadeath, and with only 2 people having the 100% (as of 26th March 2017) this game is beginning to make me doubt if I could beat it, or did I just waste my money, so, I'm turning to you guys and asking:

How difficult is Permadeath in your opinion, on a scale for 1 to 10, 1 being piss easy walk in the park minimal effort kinda thing, and 10 being near wants-to-make-you-gouge-your-eyes-out-impossible with lots of hours required?

Is it more dedication than difficulty that will award you the trophy and the 100% completion rate?

I want to play this game but I don't want to damage my overall completion rate, is it worth it?

Not many people have done it so far because the DLC was only released about a week or two ago. It takes quite a long time to reach the center, and I imagine most people just won't want to bother with it.

As well as not being able to die, the new mode is a bit more difficult than the base game. Planets are almost always hostile in some way, you need more resources to get around, and you'll get attacked in space every two minutes. Permadeath is mostly about how carefully you plan ahead to avoid those things, and spending a lot of time building a solid foundation at the start will make it much more manageable. The DLC does take a lot longer than the platinum itself does but on the bright side, if you haven't started the game at all you're likely to earn almost every other trophy while playing through permadeath mode.

You can also get around the death penalty by quitting as you die or backing up your save file regularly. I'd recommend doing that even if you want to earn it "legitimately". I ran into glitches that would've ruined my game if I hadn't. So I can't really comment on the difficulty because I used the quitting trick to remove the only threat and as such wasn't playing as carefully as I perhaps could have been. I can only say it'll probably take upwards of 80 hours. Maybe longer if you're getting used to the game and its mechanics at the same time

There's also a problem with that Reunion trophy at the moment. Me and some other guys have been waiting for over three days and we're still unable to see each others bases.

Edited by Shadiochao
  • Like 1

To keep it short:

The reason why so few have 100% completed it by now, is because it's very grindy. I've probably put 100+ hours into it, maybe half of the time was wasted on stuff which i later restarted.

Difficulty wise only permadeath is hard but only for the first few hour (i'd say a 7-9/10), the only hard part is leaving the first planet. But a bit in i'd say it drops to 2-3/10, assuming you've got backup saves (just incase).

But the probably most annoying trophy might just be "reunion", either is really luck based or it's time consuming. (i'm possibly getting it by tomorrow)

So to sum it up it's a totally doable DLC, but very time consuming.

• Like 1

I think the base game is only around 25 - 40 hours if you plan ahead and go for the platinum from the get go. However it sounds like the DLC is extremely time consuming, making even The Witcher 3's DLC look short in comparison.

I currently have No Man's Sky installed and ready to go but I don't plan on playing it for a little while. The game is pretty small on the space it needs, with the patches I think it's just over 7 GBs in size.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2017 at 10:43 AM, AlcoholicDinosaw said:

I'd love to hear what other people have to say about it too! :D

It's a pointless trophy in the place where other, better trophies, could have gone. Not many people are bothering, and most who are, are probably only half way by now.

On 3/29/2017 at 2:43 AM, GarryKE said:

It's a pointless trophy in the place where other, better trophies, could have gone. Not many people are bothering, and most who are, are probably only half way by now.

Agreed. It's just a boring chore that has no real merit. As much as people hated it during launch, I actually liked the trophy that required finding all of the species on 10 planets. That was somewhat of a grind too, but at least you got to explore a planet and have fun. This trophy is just a matter of getting ridiculously lucky or mindlessly crafting warp cells for hours on end.

The trophy not popping when you're playing on permadeath (whether intentional or a bug), despite another DLC trophy requiring getting to the center on it, just adds insult to injury.

• Like 1