Advice for Proud Mode

Radi455

I agree with Griffon234, you want to grind out more levels before heading to the boss by fighting off the heartless that spawn around the island. Then you should gain a few new levels and abilities which will help you to have a better time with the boss fight. As for the boss itself, avoid rushing the boss and paying attention to its attacks. If you can work on your dodge roll and avoid taking damage as much as possible, it should be a breeze for you.

9 minutes ago, Lawless_Llama said:

I agree with Griffon234, you want to grind out more levels before heading to the boss by fighting off the heartless that spawn around the island. Then you should gain a few new levels and abilities which will help you to have a better time with the boss fight. As for the boss itself, avoid rushing the boss and paying attention to its attacks. If you can work on your dodge roll and avoid taking damage as much as possible, it should be a breeze for you.

IIRC Dodge Roll isn't available until Traverse Town. :P

I agree with the others, keep fighting some Heartless to level up. Also study the attack patters. The Darkside doesn't have that many attacks. When he spreads his arms and shoots homing orbs from the hole in the chest, get behind a fist and start attacking it. That will enable you to dodge or hit a lot of them while also dealing damage.

30 minutes ago, Radi455 said:

I kept the wand and sacrificed the sword. Was that important?

That'll probably make it a bit tougher. You gave up an AP point and gained an MP. You won't get the good defensive abilities for a while, so a little extra grinding before each boss is recommended. 

On 2017-04-04 at 10:54 PM, Radi455 said:

I kept the wand and sacrificed the sword. Was that important?

It's just good you didn't sacrifice the shield, that makes things much more difficult. The only problem with choosing the Staff is you don't get any benefits for awhile. Your MP isn't useable until after Traverse Town when you get fire.

I don't think it's necessary for you to level to level 12 as suggested by others. You could, but I would suggest just farming Teedus, Selphie and Wakka [or Riku] for potions. At least enough to fill out your useable inventory during battle. And you should be fine. I was level 8 or 9 when I left the Island and fought Dark Side, I chose the Staff and sacrified the sword as well.

Oh, and if you didn't pick up the accessory on the island you should. It's not much, but the +1 defense is decent. It's on the second part of the island, where you race Riku. After the bridge, grab the box to the right and then carry it to the left [left of the bridge] toward the wall. There's a hole there, jump on the box, into the hole, and the chest is there.

edit; though I'm late so meh

Edited by Elvick_