Nintendo has discontinued the NES Classic.

ratchetdude231

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I agree that often Nintendo has no clue how much people want their stuff - too few NES Classics, too few amiibo...

Switch accessories are in pretty decent supply over here. I agree that there's not much big titles out for it yet, but it's by no means just a Zelda machine. I'm not that happy about the release schedule but I can see Nintendo's point - part of why the WiiU failed was because released big titles were too far between, people lost interest. With Zelda, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey et cetera all releasing a month or two after each other instead of all at once, in the end they'll sell more Switches and they'll get people to keep playing the console, instead of buying it right away with five games and then promptly forgetting about it.

Personally, I thought the Switch was worth it at launch. Loved the new Zelda (I've played a lot of Zelda titles but this is only the second one of which I say that I love it), really liked weird puzzle game Snipperclips (and I hope it will get DLC), loved F-Zero successor Fast RMX and I'm playing Shovel Knight right now (Specter Of Torment DLC has been available for Switch at launch and is timed exclusive until somewhere this month) as well as discovering more stuff in Zelda, this will keep me busy until Mario Kart two weeks from now. There are more games out already for Switch I'd like to buy (Blaster Master Zero, Snake Pass, World Of Goo, just to name a few) but I promised myself to keep my Switch backlog very low.

Nintendo said they're not trying for everyone to get it at launch by the way, they said something along the lines of long term prospects, with the hardcore fans gettig it at launch and others waiting until that game that pulls them in gets released.

I impulsively bought one a few days ago because they only had 6(in a Target). In my area accessories are as hard to come by as the switch itself which is baffling. I agree as long as they deliver some solid exclusive titles throughout the years (Metroid, Super Smash, Mario, Donkey Kong, a good Star Fox) then they should be ok.  They should also worry about not cannibalizing their golden goose DS market as well.

• Like 1

The NES Classic always seemed like a weird experiment to me. I guess it appealed to people's nostalgia, but the handful of NES games I'm actually interested in buying are all available for the 3DS and Wii U (or they are 3rd party licensed games that will never appear on any digital platform). So I was never interested in getting one. 

I am surprised that Nintendo is ending production so quickly, but it's no loss for me personally. As long as they're focusing on making more Switch/3DS systems and games I'm happy. 

I missed out when I visited target right as it opened on November 11, and Nintendo said they'd keep shipping to meet demand into the new year. By February I realized they were full of you-know-what, and the prices on eBay cooled off to the point where I found one for 2x the retail cost, so I bit the bullet and bought it. 

Aside from focusing on the Switch, I think they are also killing the NES mini because of the hackers. Most of the ones on eBay lately have been modded with 600 additional games. That probably ate into Nintendo's virtual console sales, and they decided enough is enough. Still sucks how poorly they treated their loyal customers though. 

12 minutes ago, GenDisarray25 said:

I missed out when I visited target right as it opened on November 11, and Nintendo said they'd keep shipping to meet demand into the new year. By February I realized they were full of you-know-what, and the prices on eBay cooled off to the point where I found one for 2x the retail cost, so I bit the bullet and bought it. 

Aside from focusing on the Switch, I think they are also killing the NES mini because of the hackers. Most of the ones on eBay lately have been modded with 600 additional games. That probably ate into Nintendo's virtual console sales, and they decided enough is enough. Still sucks how poorly they treated their loyal customers though. 

A simple board revision on another version to  eliminate the USB port would allow Nintendo to continue to ship these to people looking for them. 

The people buying modded Classics on ebay were never going to spend money on virtual console titles, there was no eating into those sales. They certainly didn't stop shipping Wii's when those started getting modded with just a SD card. Don't fall for that lame excuse.

As a side note, Nintendo could easily keep those consoles off ebay, but they continue to choose not to.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GenDisarray25 said:

Who cares if they came with additional games or not, takes you like a couple of seconds to download from the internet anyway. If you wanna buy legal, then you wouldn't get that shit. It's just an emulator with roms anyway.

5 hours ago, Mar said:

K. Time to start buying Nintendo products used. They brought this upon themselves. I will only buy Pokemon games new. Everything else is straight used.

It's the side stuff they mess up on like this NES emulator or amiibo, real consoles and games do fine after the first hard month or so. Having said that, I wait to buy a lot of stuff used myself but discontinuing the NES Classic seems like a weird reason to do so for me.

5 hours ago, MMDE said:

Who cares if they came with additional games or not, takes you like a couple of seconds to download from the internet anyway. If you wanna buy legal, then you wouldn't get that shit. It's just an emulator with roms anyway.

Yeah it's probably cheaper to either buy a real NES with the games you actually want or to buy those games on the Virtual Console.