Cannot buy some Complete Editions if i own the Vanilla game already

Evil_Joker88

Viewing through the games on sale this year i saw a surprise once in a while... some games like Tropico 5 Complete Edition and Rocket League Complete Edition display i cannot buy those games because i already own the Vanilla version through ps+ ... other games do not block this like Battlefield 3 Premium or Dishonored GOTY... i wonder why's that so? Is this from the developers themselves or just a bug in the store?

• Like 1

Just a quirk of how the PSN store works. People have complained on the blogs/forums but they've not really shown any desire to do anything about it. Going by their silence on it, it's probably something on Sony's end, as I'm sure publishers would only love to take more money from people.

It's been this way for a long time, not a consistent thing at all on PS3 either.

I was really happy when Terraria came to PS4 and was bundled with PS Vita Terraria for a low price, it didn't lock me out of buying it. I was ready to feel bad about it, but didn't have to :)

I still don't buy a whole lot digital, just PS+ and stuff in sales mostly. It does hurt though when you can't buy something because you own something in PS+  which is part of the whatever you want to buy. 

7 hours ago, SkyMason said:

Just a quirk of how the PSN store works. People have complained on the blogs/forums but they've not really shown any desire to do anything about it. Going by their silence on it, it's probably something on Sony's end, as I'm sure publishers would only love to take more money from people.

Sony is a publisher, so they should want people to spend more money on their store. And Sony gets a cut of all sales on the PS Store.

You'd think they'd have fixed this by now, as well as let you buy games you've gotten from PS+ for $1 or something crazy cheap as a lot of sales have, so you can let your sub expire and still have them.

Edited by Elvick_

7 hours ago, SkyMason said:

Except that no one would buy the complete edition if it was more expensive than the DLC.

I'm sure that part of this is to prevent people from 'accidentally' buying a complete bundle when the own the base game then complaining and wanting a refund.it

But I also suspect that a significant motivator is that they can get more money by forcing you to buy the DLC's separately. Give the game away on Plus, then hope to cash in on DLC sales. Since individual DLC packs rarely go on sale (at least in the NA store), they hope to force you into the more expensive DLC packs.

The point of the complete editions is to get new sales.

I do not believe this is an entirely altruistic policy, and probably this is why there is little traction to change it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Except that no one would buy the complete edition if it was more expensive than the DLC.

I'm sure that part of this is to prevent people from 'accidentally' buying a complete bundle when the own the base game then complaining and wanting a refund.it

But I also suspect that a significant motivator is that they can get more money by forcing you to buy the DLC's separately. Give the game away on Plus, then hope to cash in on DLC sales. Since individual DLC packs rarely go on sale (at least in the NA store), they hope to force you into the more expensive DLC packs.

The point of the complete editions is to get new sales.

I do not believe this is an entirely altruistic policy, and probably this is why there is little traction to change it.

Yeah what you said is completely right, they probably want to look good by locking off complete editions to people who own the game sans DLC, and yeah I've been noticing more and more games discounting their complete editions but not the DLC on their own. Pretty shifty, and has annoyed me enough to stop me bothering with finishing off quite a few games.

3 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

You'd think they'd have fixed this by now, as well as let you buy games you've gotten from PS+ for $1 or something crazy cheap as a lot of sales have, so you can let your sub expire and still have them.

That would be great... i sometimes was glad i bought games even days before they were chosen for the igc just to keep them forever...

3 hours ago, diskdocx said:

In this case i would the retail GOTY if there is one... although i do know that not be always easy/cheap in my country... examples like Uncharted 2 or Bioshock Infinite (both ps3) do have a Complete Edition that wasn't released in Europe so it's not that easy to get a copy of either ?

Edited by Evil_Joker88