Favorite Dungeon Crawlers Anyone?

DJBurnout_TTV

2 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

This depends on the definition of 'dungeon crawler'. 

For majority of people, dungeon crawler is an RPG (usually first person view) on grid-based environment.

One that may or may not force you to draw a map on a checkered paper.

Computer_rpg_no_automap.jpg

On the other hand, if we are going for the definition of dungeon crawling then obviously, any RPG where you take a party to dungeon can be considered dungeon crawler. However, if we do that, there aren't going to be many RPGs that aren't dungeon crawlers =D

Ah, interesting. I had no idea the definition of 'dungeon crawler' was so specific. I listed Persona, as I found it quite similar to Mind 0 (or vice versa), so I thought that the designation carried over (and also because a number of reviewers and industry figures had the game listed as a dungeon crawler. I learned something new today!

Also, thank you for actually handling our initial difference of opinion like an actual well-adjusted adult, instead of responding with pedantry and sarcasm like the other people in this discussion chose to.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Taobaka said:

Following your logic most rpgs are dungeon crawlers, because they have dungeons.

That reminds me - Revelations: Persona IS a dungeon crawler and you can play it on Vita. That's something at least.

only the psp remake, unfortunately.

i guess it would be worth mentioning those and psx games as well, but i cant think of any off hand.

• 6 months later...

Only really done 2 on the vita...

Soul Sacrafice on the vita if that counts but that was only okay in my eyes, I think it was when someone said in a video it was similar to God of War is where I was sold and it was the exact opposite... 

Ray Gigant was a bit grindy for treasures and back tracking to save points so you don't lose your progress but it was alright, was glad to be finished with it after the 50 hour play time :)

I sure can recommened Demon Gaze on the vita (i do have more dungeon crawlers on vita but haven't got around to play em yet)

The other vita dungeon Crawlers i have are Dungeon Travlers 2, MeiQ Labyrinth of Death, Operation Abyss, Ray Gigant, Stranger of Sword City

I probably also would have gotten Omega Labyrinth but that one never came out in EU.

For ps3 i'd say get Wizardry Labyrinth of Lost Souls (that game made me get into the dungeon crawler genre) also has a JP only second game aswell as JP only ports to the vita.

Edited by Tosmasta00

Like many others here, I would recommend Dungeon Travelers 2. It's what got me into DRPGs in the first place and mechanically, it's one of the best RPGs I've ever played in general. The fanservice is admittedly heavy and the game can be pretty hard at times, but the game is built well enough that you can easily get through without having to grind much (20k enemy trophy and doing quests notwithstanding) since much of the time, whether you win or not is determined by your strategy rather than your stats. For reference, despite showing up to the final boss about ten levels over par thanks to grinding out the 20k kills beforehand (I wanted to use it as Plat 250 and needed something I could easily track as my last trophy so I didn't have to grind on eggshells or otherwise save 10,000 enemies for after I reached 249 plats), I still noticed that I wasn't just breezing through the fight and had to play just as hard as usual.

• Like 1