Metal Gear Rising Demo

Orlay_

What did you all think?

Personally.. it reminded me a lot of Vanquish without guns.. and Dynasty Warriors because the came is heavily hack and slash. The Free Blade Mode is pretty cool, but aside from showboating and finishers.. I didn't see a need to use it over your standard combos. There is also a grading system for each encounter and I didn't get to see what you do with the points or any of the other weapons..

I also found some of the movement animations to be dated, like the comm scene with Boris where it kind of zooms in. Your character literally slides instead of walking around.. which is weird in itself but doesn't detract from the experience of gameplay otherwise.

Did anyone actually figure out how to parry? The game kept flashing the Left stick + Square tip but I don't know weather to push it, or if is just attacking at the right time. It's disturbing to assume they couldn't communicate clear control tips when other games literally have screens that demonstrate what a successful version of the move looks like.

It was good, but not great.. I think I'll wait til the price drops and the community generates pro-tips.

Edit: typo italics - fixed -- also fixed my annoying habit of use "..." instead of proper pauses. I can't think and type at the same time.

Edited by Aeirou

I haven't downloaded it yet but i watched a gameplay. It was ok, but I'm still being skeptical because of i didn't see any blocking. From what I saw, the points are used to buy costumes & upgrades. For me, I remember my first hack & slash game when i saw the gameplay.

I too, only saw 3 weapons of his. I hope to see more weapons of the game. Some of the combos of the saber are almost as same as the Ninja Gaiden's Dragon Sword combo to Izuna drop.

I hope to see more weapons and modes.

Edited by NightWing127

I haven't downloaded it yet but i watched a gameplay. It was ok, but I'm still being skeptical because of i didn't see any blocking. From what I saw, the points are used to buy costumes & upgrades. For me, I remember my first hack & slash game when i saw the gameplay.

I too, only saw 3 weapons of his. I hope to see more weapons of the game. Some of the combos of the saber are almost as same as the Ninja Gaiden's Dragon Sword combo to Izuna drop.

I hope to see more weapons and modes.

I wasn't never instructed on how to block, there is no blocking on the map, nor have I blocked in my button mashing exploration. I parried on accident, but mostly the enemies glow when they are about to attack... so I ninja run away or jump away clumsily. Jumping didn't work so well and the ninja run took valuable seconds to activate. This leads me to believe that parrying should be something you quickly master. This is why I was unnerved by the vague tutorial and the lack of clear instruction for the buttons.

Dynasty Gear Rising, woot woot.

Edited by Aeirou
  • Like 1

I wasn't never instructed on how to block, there is no blocking on the map, nor have I blocked in my button mashing exploration. I parried on accident, but mostly the enemies glow when they are about to attack... so I ninja run away or jump away clumsily. Jumping didn't work so well and the ninja run took valuable seconds to activate. This leads me to believe that parrying should be something you quickly master. This is why I was unnerved by the vague tutorial and the lack of clear instruction for the buttons.

Dynasty Gear Rising, woot woot.

It's kinda odd & hard to imagine a hack-&-slash game not having a block feature. I'll try to download the demo & see what it's like. I'll let you know what I think of it. I hope the full game has clear instructions & looking forward for more gameplay of it.

lol Dynasty Gear Rising game :ninja:- I'd like to this game :ninja::)

Out of curiousity, how do you pronounce that?

Um...in English, it would sound something like Alexander, but the "ц" sounds like "s"

So it would be Aleksander in Enlgish, but the English way of pronouncing things is different, so try it in a Russian accent and you would be close!

We just called him Вово though, which is "vova"

• Like 1

I've played the Demo 4 times since I bought ZOE HD. BUT, the last time I did I replayed the Boss fight over 15 times. Why?

Because it's amazing. The gameplay is smoother than Bayonetta (I don't know how they did it but it's almost the crowning perfection of an action game, Mind you Bayonetta was the one who dethroned DmC in the action genre. Atleast on gameplay that is, storywise... lol ).

On the ZOE demo all you get are 3 weapons. The Katana, Bazooka (2 actually) and Grenades. Personally I thought it was a good lineup on how it showed how throwing and shooting work in the game. They confirmed multiple main weapons so it looks like you wont have to depend permanently on the katana. And the Free blade mode (possibly) works on all. Meaning they kept the fighting mechanic of Bayonetta. (Combos we're different for each weapon but you still had the wicked weaves finishers).

All in all, knowing P*, this will surpass Bayonetta and will be THE best action game right now. Even for the whole year. I have it reserved since summer and playing the demo reassured me P* knows what they are doing and always deliver quality games. If I had the money I would go for the CE, but I guess I will have to settle without it. :\

Edit:

There is no block feature, But the Parry Feature is (honestly) very easy to learn. But it does require good timing and focus. Once you have that all you need is to just "feel it". Same way the Moon of Mahla Khala was in Bayonetta. :D

Edited by MxWhiteKnight

I'm confused, I'm sure I saw Raiden blocking on some videos

Here:

Maybe is not blocking what I'm seeing?

Ah, It looks extremely similar to blocking but it's actually a parry. Whenever you parry his stance is like a normal block. They COULD have added blocking but I doubt it since it was not in the demo (which would be stupid since blocking and/or parrying is always needed when showing a game). But I kinda understand the move on taking out blocking and making parrying your main defense.

In Bayonetta blocking is ok but... it's extremely worthless after chapter 2 or 3. You're better of Dodging/Countering than blocking.

That way your defense is always an offense (parry -> Counter) So i feel it fits the non stop action atmosphere of Metal Gear and especially Rising.

• Like 1

I'm sure I could get use to Parrying in the game, but I was mainly pointing out that the direction within the game is vague at times.

As for amazing, you and I have very different tastes. I couldn't stand Bayonetta... or Devil May Cry. It's not the general newb reason that I couldn't beat them or whatever.. I just play games for story and they didn't have one that interested me. That said, I do try the gameplay games too, and a good atmosphere can make gameplay just as enticing. See Demon's Souls for an example there.

I'm sure I could get use to Parrying in the game, but I was mainly pointing out that the direction within the game is vague at times.

As for amazing, you and I have very different tastes. I couldn't stand Bayonetta... or Devil May Cry. It's not the general newb reason that I couldn't beat them or whatever.. I just play games for story and they didn't have one that interested me. That said, I do try the gameplay games too, and a good atmosphere can make gameplay just as enticing. See Demon's Souls for an example there.

I personally never played any DmC aside from the DmC3 demo xD

But from what I remember Bayonetta plays much more smoother. And I agree with you a 100%. They put a little pop up and if you are not paying attention you might miss it. I personally prefer the pause notifications on things that are important (here being parrying, your only defense).

The story on Bayonetta is ...... it's a cluster of things I still don't know much yet and I've beaten it 3 times haha, but the gameplay is Extremely top notch.

Usually I go for games with balances but I do have an exception. If the gameplay is top notch I forgive crappy story. (Unless it's a Turn based rpg since gameplay is... the same as always. So it has to have a good story)

I loved Demon's Souls and Dark Souls just took all of that and made it even better! 2 of my all time favorite games ever.

Whoa! We got a badass over here lol. Do you know if there is any rank over A like Soinc's "S" rank?

yeah you can get S Ranks. Ranks are based on points.

you get 1000 points for getting a good time (around under 1-5mins and maybe higher if it's a boss fight)

you get 1000 points for a great combo (normally around 20)

you get 1000 points for getting all kills

you get 1000 points for getting no damage

_

100 points per Zandatsu (blue spine) you pull out

_

50-1000 points for BP

Phaild:
BP is the currency used in game, which you gain from defeating enemies.

Battle Points

If you cut off limbs from enemies (Not just left hands), you'll gain 100 extra BP for each limb. It seems to be enemy specific which limbs you have to cut.

On top of that, you get 50 extra BP for each 200 BP.

So if you get 400 BP from limbs, you get extra 100 BP which equals 500 BP in total.

EDIT: The actual bonus bigger than just 50 BP per 200 points. It seems to increase exponentially

http://www.gamefaqs....65032119?page=2

I was just 150-200 points off a S Rank, in some battles, if you get damaged you can still get a S rank if you get good performance in everything else.

Edited by snake0504

I think they may have added blocking to the full game. Keep in mind, this demo is actually fairly old - it's the same one that was included in the Zone of the Enders HD Collection if I'm not mistaken. It's kinda buggy, then again, it's a demo, and, as they often say "Not representative of the final product".

• Like 1

I think they may have added blocking to the full game. Keep in mind, this demo is actually fairly old - it's the same one that was included in the Zone of the Enders HD Collection if I'm not mistaken. It's kinda buggy, then again, it's a demo, and, as they often say "Not representative of the final product".

blocking? don't you already do that when you "don't" get the timing right when parrying? (unless I'm mistaken) maybe a better system would be cool for it, but I don't mind how it's at, at the moment, if they do introduce a new blocking system I be looking forward to it and any other cool new updates to the game. like you said it's just a demo, the final production hasn't been release yet :), can not wait for it.

Thanks for the Information btw :)

Edited by snake0504