Easter Egg or Assets Rehash?

Hippic

It's quite common for developers to re-use assets from previous games. If they already have a perfectly suitable asset for something, their time is probably better spent doing something else rather than creating a new one. So yeah, definitely not an easter egg. It's far too lame. :P

• Like 1

I get the whole reusing assets from a game that's made under the same publisher (Dead Island & Dead Island Rriptide)

But Dying Light is published by Warner Brothers, and the Dead Island games is published by Deep Silver so don't they literally all of the assets from the game?

10 minutes ago, Hippic said:

I get the whole reusing assets from a game that's made under the same publisher (Dead Island & Dead Island Rriptide)

But Dying Light is published by Warner Brothers, and the Dead Island games is published by Deep Silver so don't they literally all of the assets from the game?

Publishers don't make games, the developers do, and techland developed all 3 of those games 

I know Techland developed the game, but the IP "Dead Island" is owned by Deep Silver and all the assets that comes with it.

SnowxSakura what you ar saying doesn't make sense. Hypothetical example: Sumo Digital developed LittleBigPlanet 3 a PlayStation exclusive, and are about to release Crackdown 3 exclusively for et Xbox One, with your logic they are allowed to use assets from LBP3 in Crackdown 3 because they developed game. I don't think Sony would be to happen with Sackboy popping up on an Xbox.

30 minutes ago, Hippic said:

I know Techland developed the game, but the IP "Dead Island" is owned by Deep Silver and all the assets that comes with it.

SnowxSakura what you ar saying doesn't make sense. Hypothetical example: Sumo Digital developed LittleBigPlanet 3 a PlayStation exclusive, and are about to release Crackdown 3 exclusively for et Xbox One, with your logic they are allowed to use assets from LBP3 in Crackdown 3 because they developed game. I don't think Sony would be to happen with Sackboy popping up on an Xbox.

What you're saying doesn't make sense either as you're comparing apples to oranges. One thing is a stupid car chair - which nobody cares about - and the other thing is a complete character under the license of Sony.

It makes perfect scenes and it was a hypothetical example, and It doesn't matter if anybody care about or not. The hole point for this discussion was who owns the assets.

Edited by Hippic

11 minutes ago, Hippic said:

The hole point for this discussion was who owns the assets.

And this is a thing you can't tell for sure. You might say that all assets belong to the publisher of the Dead Island-games but you can't tell for sure as you don't know how the contracts between Techland, Deep Silver, AND Warner Bros look like.

Depending on how those contracts are, a publisher may have rights to use the name of an game or specific assets like some characters. Maybe he owns the rights for all created content. But maybe the contracts doesn't include such clauses, but instead the publisher is satisfied enough with a share from the revenues. Not to forget that both publishers may also have made a contract between each other.

And another thing you shouldn't forget: Depending on local laws assets may need a specific level of creativity to be called intellectual property.