Strike! (Well, ok...gutter ball)

Wade_VC

I was curious if anyone else here has this and what are your impressions.

I have had it for a bit and enjoy the heck out of it. I have been practicing, and still need to improve, but if you can put up with someone who only averages a 175, drop me a line and I'd love to get together with ya'. Ought to be worth a laugh anyway!

Wade, I play a bit of this with the Move controller. I haven't given the move the time it deserves (or the £100 that was spent on controllers and camera) and the missus loves a bit of HVB action as well so it might be time to start the ball rolling again so to speak.

Virtual Bowling is a winter activity in our house so once the nights start to draw in I will give you a shout about this again. :D

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just bowled a 238 and a 239 (with 9 strikes and 3 spares). Seriously one of the tougher trophies to get in my time. Definitely going in the cabinet when this hundie is done.

I'd also like to add a little disclaimer for anyone that's thinking of getting this and say that it's also one of the more frustrating gaming experiences I've had in a long time for a few reasons:

It doesn't matter what your skill level is. For a game built on skill, it doesn't reward it. It doesn't matter what character, what ball, what lane, what oil pattern, what aim, what power, what spin you use; you can easily be outscored by someone that aims for the center pin and throws as hard as they can.

You can do the exact same thing 100 times in a row and get different results every single time. Very frustrating. The game is very forgiving if you manage to overthrow in the red at 110% power but, you'll miss every time if you're normal 99% throw becomes a 96% throw or if you're 1/10th of a millimeter or 0.01 degrees off in your aim. Be prepared for a lot of 9-spare, 9-spare, 9-spare because 1 damn pin will never fall when you're 1% off your normal throw.

It's almost as if the game only rewards your throws if you happen to land on 100% directly. You can have a flawless technique, bowl a 240 and then bowl a 160 the very next game, because it seems as though the game itself determines if the pins will fall based on your power %.

If you're looking for that 250 trophy; you're gonna have to find a perfect technique and then play like 400-500 games and hope to get a combination of luck and computer generosity; which is disgusting for a skill-based sport.

Edited by effdeegee

• 2 weeks later...

If you find out how to do the 250, let me know.

I'm a lefty and found it easiest using mikey strike (dlc character) I think it was the F ball I was using and dammit I forget what alley i used -_- there is a YouTube video out there showing the ideal set up for mikey strike. You can also use hiro if you beat him in game he'll be unlocked. Again check out YouTube for his ideal set up. Hope you and others get it.

I'm a lefty and found it easiest using mikey strike (dlc character) I think it was the F ball I was using and dammit I forget what alley i used -_- there is a YouTube video out there showing the ideal set up for mikey strike. You can also use hiro if you beat him in game he'll be unlocked. Again check out YouTube for his ideal set up. Hope you and others get it.

I can't seem to find a video, do you mind trying to find it?

I can't seem to find a video, do you mind trying to find it?

I used the trophy guide from pst.org it had a few different videos on there. I'm on my cell phone atm and can't post the videos :/ here's the exact method I used to get it.

Mike with Black "F" ball, house oil pattern, Carl's alley

Start at the dot 2nd in from the left, aim to the dot nearest to the left edge of the alley. 1/2 spin with 1/2 to 3/4's power. Tweak till you find the ideal swing.

I copied and pasted this from their trophy guide. Hope this helps

Link

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/high-velocity-bowling/guide/

Edited by weeztha

If you're looking for that 250 trophy; you're gonna have to find a perfect technique and then play like 400-500 games and hope to get a combination of luck and computer generosity; which is disgusting for a skill-based sport.

That wasn't my experience. I knocked this game over years ago and it all comes down to a consistent technique...aka...skill.

Find your groove and it should be relatively easy to repeat the same technique 12 times to bowl a perfect 300 (or close to). From memory, I think I did the 250 trophy with Gage, the Turkey Ball and the DualShock controller using 6-axis controls. It was either him or Hiro.

The game didn't cheat and does reward consistency, but your online opposition can get pissed and disconnect when they're being flogged, which is the greater problem. I can't have invested more than an hour or two to score 250 online after nutting out my technique in the single-player game.