The Official PSNProfiles General Automobile Discussion Thread

Parker

As most of you know, I'm a huge car guy and work on diesel trucks in my spare time. This thread is to show off your own car, cars you'd love to have or anything pertaining to vehicles.

I'll start off with my current vehicles.

This is my '91 Dodge Ram D350. It has a 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel engine mated to an Nv4500 5 speed manual transmission. I've done a few things to the engine but it's mainly stock as it has been my daily driver since I was of age to drive (I bought it before I could drive and took my drivers test in it) and I have no need to hot rod a dual rear wheel truck. These pictures were taken on our farm so she's really dirty. I'll have to take some updated pictures. My truck had 180K miles on her when I bought it with a broken odometer, so she has about 400K right now and still purrs like a kitten the Cummins engine is hands down one of the most reliable engines of all time. I also get about 20-22mpg mixed driving, not bad for a 21 year old, dually diesel pickup truck.

Truck3.jpg

Truck6.jpg

Truck11.jpg

Truck1.jpg

This is my brothers old '97 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9L CTD. NV4500 as well. This truck was 716rwhp and well over 1K torque when she was sold, daily driven as well. You can see my truck in the background of the first picture.

20090606_0925.jpg

20090606_0927.jpg

We owned this for a bit too. Fun little car.

AKO2005_0711_130236AA.jpg

Next up is my wife's car. 2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. The AWD is very nice in the snow and mud and it is a pretty comfortable daily driver. I'm still considering buying a hatchback WRX as a new daily driver but I don't think I can get used to not having a truck.

DSC00496.jpg

DSC00498.jpg

We're kind of a Dodge family now-a-days. My father also has a '97 Dodge Cummins, my brother sold his red '97 and bought another '97 Cummins and my other brother had an '03 Cummins. He now owns an '85 Mercedes 300D with a Turbo Diesel engine. We're definitely a diesel family.

As far as vehicles I want. Dodge just announced the new Ram 1500's are going to be made available with a diesel engine and as soon as I hear more information about those I think it may be a purchase. I've never had a brand new vehicle or car payment (I pay cash for what I want) but this diesel 1500 excites me beyond belief. It should be easily capable of 30+mpg and I won't have to drive a dually every day or deal with the little nuances of a 21 year old Dodge truck. I'm also thinking heavily about an '02 WRX wagon, the same exact body style of my wife's car but with a turbocharged engine and 5 speed manual. A Volkswagen with a diesel is high on the want list as well, 50+mpg with a diesel sounds very nice. Time will tell what I get but I'm really leaning towards the 1500 Ram diesel as of now.

So, everyone, post your cars, trucks, semis, or whatever car related you'd like to talk about.

Parker

• Like 1

Man. Fuck you, lol. You're older and have been in the game longer :P J/K

Was just messing with you Parker, but whatever.

Here's my newest purchase and my baby (because I'm not having kids)

qQeNM2U.jpg

buS9CpS.jpg

yQmIYzX.jpg

This is my 2012 Mazda3 S Touring 2.5L 6spd. Has a little more horsepower but sacrifices some MPG. Still pretty fuel efficient though. Someday, I'll probably trade it in for a Mazdaspeed3

:holy:

Before purchasing this wonderful car (great price too!) I was rocking a 1992 Honda Accord with 238,000 miles on it and the cost of repairs overtaking me starting at 2,000 just to make it safe again. Needless to say, I was tired of shoveling money into a death trap when I could be putting that money towards a new car. Extremely happy with my decision.

Edited by daftprophet

I've been through 4 cars myself. First was a Ford Ranger, then I went to a Volvo 740. Sadly, I was too young to appreciate the Volvos potential at the time, and I got rid of it to get a 96 Mustang.

540218_3737695642032_1265355221_3522913_1317634138_n2.jpg

Drove that for a couple years and then got my baby. Its a 91 Honda civic, Currently running a fully built JDM D15B linked up to a 91 CRX Si trans.

99453624b97f11e1a8761231381b4856_7.jpg

Little 1.5l pumping out 200 whp. It's not much, but I'm happy with it. This picture was taken as soon as I got it home. The wheels are black now, the idiotic bike rack has been removed, and I'm actually running a real cold air intake instead of the piece of PVC pipe the guy I bought it from had on it. I just refuse to take more pictures until I have it exactly how I want it. =]

Edited by JDMEF_Ohana
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Welp, I've decided to retire my truck as my daily driver. I've always been a truck guy and I still want to test the new diesel Dodge 1500 whenever it comes out but I think I found what I'm going to buy. A 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye. I test drove one (with the 6spd manual, of course) and it was absolute joy to drive, sit in and look at. Should look something like this...

2013-Dodge-Dart-Rallye-front-1024x6_zps5

2013-Dodge-Dart-Rallye-digital-spee_zps1

Dodge-Dart-Rallye-Edition-2012-Phot_zps0

I've never had a brand new car and really don't want a car payment but this thing has me very excited. I'll be going to the dealer on my off days to conduct some business and hopefully I'll be driving one home in the near future.

Parker

• Like 1

Welp, I've decided to retire my truck as my daily driver. I've always been a truck guy and I still want to test the new diesel Dodge 1500 whenever it comes out but I think I found what I'm going to buy. A 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye. I test drove one (with the 6spd manual, of course) and it was absolute joy to drive, sit in and look at. Should look something like this...

2013-Dodge-Dart-Rallye-front-1024x6_zps5

2013-Dodge-Dart-Rallye-digital-spee_zps1

Dodge-Dart-Rallye-Edition-2012-Phot_zps0

I've never had a brand new car and really don't want a car payment but this thing has me very excited. I'll be going to the dealer on my off days to conduct some business and hopefully I'll be driving one home in the near future.

Parker

Dude, those things are crazy. Let us know how you like it.

• Like 1

I certainly will. I'm sure the wife will be happy I've decided to retire the truck too (I'll never sell it) because she hated riding in it (especially when we were dating in High School) and doesn't think it is safe enough for our son. Man, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas waiting to get one of these cars...

Parker

attachicon.gifC4 SX HDI.jpg

Citroen C4 HDI 2007. Averages 56mpg mixed driving but you can push that up to 70 on long journeys. Comfortable and reliable. Has about 80,000 miles on it.

Diesel, I assume? I wish more manufacturers would out their diesel engines in the cars they sell over here. A new Dart with a little diesel engine and a 6 speed manual would be amazing. That's a nice Citroen you have though.

Parker

• Like 1

Yes Parker - 1.6 litre turbocharged diesel with 110hp output. Its a low hp output compared to the newer engines that are on sale here but its smooth and reliable.

You can get 1.6 litre TD engines putting out over 150hp in new cars, but I can imagine that the torque generated would be sore on tyres if you were more enthusiastic about your cornering ;)

I dont have any pics from my old S-10. But for the longest time I had a 89 S-10 short bed standard cab with a 383 Stroker, with a 5 speed transmission taken from the 4.3 Lt. trucks. Never got on it much, but it sounded nice. Guess I was always afraid the trans wouldn't hold up.

Anyway, got a kid now and its been sold. Currently driving a 07 HHR, plain jane Dad-mo-bile.

Well, I test drove a Dart with the dual clutch automatic and I have to say I quite liked that one as well... I still think I'll be going with the 6 speed, not only because I love driving a manual but I'm not sure how durable a DCT tranny will be in the long run. I can change a clutch no problem, and I've rebuilt a few automatics as well but I don't imagine a DCT will be nearly as simple. Either way, the more I test drive the Dart, the more I want one.

Parker

Just found out that my mothers Lexus GS300's oil light turned on and when she looked in the rear view mirror there was a long, black streak... Well, I'll be hooking the trailer up to my truck and dragging the bastard to our shop, I suppose. I was supposed to have a nice off day too.

Parker

Grrr, never good when all the oil pisses out of it - but maybe its something simple like a pipe coming loose......

I'm surprised the things still alive to be honest. It has almost 200K miles on it and I know of at least 2 times when the oil idiot light has come on and she's driven in to the auto parts store to get oil. I'm hoping it is something small too, but preparing for the worst. She said it never made any noises or seemed down on power or anything, so I'm hoping it was a bad O-ring on the oil drain plug and the oils just coming from there. That'll be too easy though...

Parker

so I'm hoping it was a bad O-ring on the oil drain plug and the oils just coming from there. That'll be too easy though...

Parker

Rarely the case tho..

does the GS300 have a separate oil cooler? 'cause thats usually a good place to check for a sudden loss - generally the cooler is aluminium and it fails - in the motors that have it. Unless you live in a seriously warm area then you could just bypass the cooler as a quick and cheap fix....

Just got back from the shop and I'm amazed, I actually got lucky for once. On my way to pick her and the car up with my truck and gooseneck trailer I noticed some debris in the road, I couldn't make out what it was at 60mph but it definitely looked like it could do some damage to the underside of the car. I was kind of shitting myself there wondering if it had completely destroyed the oil pan or something, but come to find out it just knocked the oil drain plug completely loose. The threads are still fine (miraculously) and there doesn't appear to be any other damage. I replaced the oil plug, did a visual check if the undercarriage and engine and couldn't find any other damage so I filled her with oil, started it and theres good oil pressure, no leaks or strange sounds. Seems like we both got off lucky this time and I'll still have a decent off day. B)

Parker

• Like 1

Just got back from the shop and I'm amazed, I actually got lucky for once. On my way to pick her and the car up with my truck and gooseneck trailer I noticed some debris in the road, I couldn't make out what it was at 60mph but it definitely looked like it could do some damage to the underside of the car. I was kind of shitting myself there wondering if it had completely destroyed the oil pan or something, but come to find out it just knocked the oil drain plug completely loose. The threads are still fine (miraculously) and there doesn't appear to be any other damage. I replaced the oil plug, did a visual check if the undercarriage and engine and couldn't find any other damage so I filled her with oil, started it and theres good oil pressure, no leaks or strange sounds. Seems like we both got off lucky this time and I'll still have a decent off day. B)

Parker

You are a jammy lad today Parker!

Well, I test drove a Dart with the dual clutch automatic and I have to say I quite liked that one as well... I still think I'll be going with the 6 speed, not only because I love driving a manual but I'm not sure how durable a DCT tranny will be in the long run. I can change a clutch no problem, and I've rebuilt a few automatics as well but I don't imagine a DCT will be nearly as simple. Either way, the more I test drive the Dart, the more I want one.

Parker

Manual is the way to go!  I almost bought the automatic "manual" option for my car...so glad I didn't!  Also, glad to hear it was a simple fix for the oil leakage. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've found an '05 Subaru WRX Wagon with 64K miles for $10K and I'm thinking of going that route instead of the brand new Dart. I'm a cheap bastard at heart and the thought of having a car payment that long frustrates the hell out of me.

In other news, replaced the starter on my fathers '97 Cummins today. Some of those bolts are a huge pain in the ass to get to.

Parker

• 3 weeks later...

'05 WRX sold within hours... Looking at an '03 WRX wagon today. It has 250K miles which is a bit of a turn off but it is still owned by the original owner so I'll see if he is a dumbass or knows how to actually maintain a vehicle. The price is right so if the car isn't a turd it may be mine.

Parker