2018's Platinum Challenge of Destiny! Kent Wins!

Clash of Destiny!  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who will emerge victorious?

Since my PS3 crashed, I went on a rarity rush the last few days to calm my nerves. A modest increase in completion, but it's about time I start going for points again. Until I can play disc games again, I'm going to be playing Mirror's Edge. I'll be shocked if I plat it, but I've already surprised myself multiple times in the past month, so let's see how this goes.

• Like 1

Yesterday, @Kent got another two points with Far Cry 4. Congrats!

This has been a rather odd week in the trophy department for me, considering I can't really play the games I was working on. My goal for this weekend is to finish the Mirror's Edge story and get my completion up to 69.1%. We'll see what happens.

• Like 3

On 7/20/2018 at 7:05 PM, jem said:

Yesterday, @Kent got another two points with Far Cry 4. Congrats!

This has been a rather odd week in the trophy department for me, considering I can't really play the games I was working on. My goal for this weekend is to finish the Mirror's Edge story and get my completion up to 69.1%. We'll see what happens.

You've both been making excellent progress, I can see you reaching 72% completion in no time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mesopithecus said:

You've both been making excellent progress, I can see you reaching 72% completion in no time.

Thanks. I can see myself getting there in 2018, but getting it with enough time left over to matter in this challenge is going to be a struggle. I haven't done much today, but your post inspired me to spend an hour getting the 30 bag trophy in Mirror's Edge for an additional +0.04% completion. If only I had more easy golds like that, this climb wouldn't take very long.

• Like 1

Well, this was overall a good weekend for progress. I shattered my completion goal with +0.29% the past two days, cleared the Mirror's Edge story, and made a decent bit of progress in the time trials. This plat is definitely doable (probably), but MAN are these time trials exhausting! I'm probably going to give it a rest for a day or two to avoid burnout.

• Like 2

This week, @Kent has platted two more games, Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride and Seasons After Fall. Unfortunately, due to our completion challenge, Grim Legends doesn't count (though it was only worth a tenth of a point anyway, so who really cares?).

As my skill increases, my luck seems to dwindle. First, my PS3 stopped reading discs, and now, my brother's PS+ expired. He's in no hurry to renew it, leaving me with only about a dozen games left in my arsenal. At the very least, I was able to get a decent completion boost out of Sherlock Holmes before the subscription expired. I'll renew it myself when the time is right, but with now less than a week before I SURPASS MY LIMITS, I wouldn't be using it much anyway.

Speaking of SURPASSING MY LIMITS, it feels like I've made a lot of progress on Mirror's Edge, but at the same time very little. Just today, I beat the chapter four speed run (probably the easiest one besides the prologue) and got up to 35 stars in time trials. Chapter six seems to be the last "easy" speed run. After that, I foresee a struggle.

Well, chapter six happened to be not that bad of a speed run. I beat that fairly quickly and then somehow beat chapter eight as well. That atrium section is arguably the most annoying section in the game for me (it's by no means the hardest section, but it's long and brutal when you fall to the bottom and somehow live, forcing you to climb the whole thing over again). Good riddance.

I also finished up one-starring the remaining time trials and got up to 41 stars. I can probably get another 1-3 stars without too much trouble. It is starting to get to the point though where I need to try the same level over and over for over an hour straight before I can earn another star. I'm already amazed that I've made it this far in a reasonable amount of time, so I'm not incredibly worried (yet).

I have a lot going on this upcoming week, so this will likely be my last update before I'm reunited with the bulk of my arsenal. @Kent I hope you're prepared for what's to come!

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Kent said:

:platinum: #118: Super Dungeon Bros 

1L69a62a.png

100 points 

Pretty horrible game but for 100 points in only 40 hours it was well worth it. Time for you to play catch up my friend. :P

Spoiler

Congrats on getting the first 100-point game in the challenge, as well as for the other nine plats you got that sum up to a whopping total of 0.05 points because of the completion rule.

Cherish your lead for now, because Phase One of my Super-Duper Secret Plan has already been completed! Not even you can guess the sheer terror I have headed your way!

Spoiler

image.jpg

• Like 1

Phase Two of my Super-Duper Secret Plan is complete! In the two weeks between my internship and moving back to college, I rose my completion by roughly 1% and am now officially closer to Kent towards reaching my completion goal (even after that Plat Armageddon that happened not too long ago). It was an uphill battle for sure, but with this, reaching 72% at a reasonable time just got a lot more feasible.

Along the way, I got all but one trophy in both Sherlock Holmes and Toro (I can't exactly call them prepped since the last trophy on both games will take about an hour each). Along with Heavy Fire: Shattered Spear, a small but growing point bomb is on the way for when I finally pop my 125th plat.

7 hours ago, jem said:

Phase Two of my Super-Duper Secret Plan is complete!

Congrats on that, jem! You are a better man than I am working on those hard games. I heard that Toro was a glitchy piece of bull manure(considering that it's a bullfighting game, I wasn't surprised xD) so good luck on that! Me, I am doing... Hitman GO. ?

2 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Congrats on that, jem! You are a better man than I am working on those hard games. I heard that Toro was a glitchy piece of bull manure(considering that it's a bullfighting game, I wasn't surprised xD) so good luck on that! Me, I am doing... Hitman GO. 1f625.png

Those games weren't hard, just boring. Toro is indeed incredibly glitchy to the point where it became more difficult than necessary to pull off some of the more challenging moves for the later challenges. Though sometimes, when I would restart the level, the bull would suddenly run smoothly, and the moves just flowed. Needless to say, it wasn't all that fun.

1 hour ago, jem said:

Those games weren't hard, just boring.

I agree with you on the boring part. That was my latest platinum for me. At least Lara Croft GO had some animation to it, but Agent 47 was just not as interesting in GO form. Not like I care about the Hitman series, I don't like playing as an assassin, which is probably why I decided not to try Assassin's Creed games. ? But Hitman GO Definitive Edition is pretty dull. I had to take breaks to get through the whole thing. At least I can get rid of it when I delete the account it's on, finally. Going to play some Disgaea 5 to cleanse my brain after that bore-fest. :D

18 hours ago, jem said:

Phase Two of my Super-Duper Secret Plan is complete! In the two weeks between my internship and moving back to college, I rose my completion by roughly 1% and am now officially closer to Kent towards reaching my completion goal (even after that Plat Armageddon that happened not too long ago). It was an uphill battle for sure, but with this, reaching 72% at a reasonable time just got a lot more feasible.

Sorry to burst your bubble but we're tied now. :P

• 2 months later...

It took a while, but Phase Three of my Super-Duper Secret Plan is complete! Some of you may be wondering what I've been doing all this time. Well, to be honest, Guided Fate Survival Mode completely destroyed my spirit; crushed it into itty-bitty pieces. I meditated in seclusion for a while (meaning I watched hundreds of episodes of anime to cool down). Biding my time, I slowly grinded out Mei Q while planning my next move. @Kent10201 found out most of my strategy in the meantime, but no matter. All rested up and with a new milestone completed, it's almost time to unleash the final stage of my plan. Prepare yourself, because in 18 days time, Fall Break will begin, and Phase Four of my Super-Duper Secret Plan, the most devastating phase of them all, will commence!

• Like 1

As we await my Ultimate Trophy Army to come towards fruition, why not send out a few foot soldiers to keep things interesting? First up, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, bringing me a whole point closer to victory!

2 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Man, your Fall Break is really really late, it's almost Winter. ;)

It's planned out so that we have a week to celebrate Thanksgiving.

This past week was a little busy, but in the meantime, I went back to a game I haven't touched in over a year, Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3, a.k.a: Stella Hell Part Two. The second of my vicious foot soldiers (which I am now officially calling the Pyramid Platoon), I made good progress despite my limited time, getting the good ending done last night. The goal is to get plans, quests, and lily ranks done this week with the plat coming in right before Phase Four of my Super-Duper Secret Plan comes to fruition. Of course, this won't be all I'll be up to, so stay tuned! :giggle:

After much anguish and nine attempts, I finally conquered Area 12 of Stella's Tower of Peril. I heard that Stella got improved in Re;Birth 3. She didn't. If there's one thing that'll keep me from getting this platinum, it'll be this.

I also cleared the true ending, a much smaller feat compared to the hardship I just endured.

EDIT: Stella then goes off to beat Area 13 on her first try. Thanks game.

Edited by jemmie

A trophy a day keeps the competition at bay! The 100 quests trophy is done! Along the way, I made a drill disc and three lily rank discs. In fact, most of Neptune's lily ranks have been maxed out at this point.

Stella Hell continues to be a thorn in my side. Areas 13-16 were completed on the first try to lure me into a false sense of security. Area 17 then took all of last night, and Area 18 took most of today. I'm currently on attempt #2 of Area 19, but my expectations aren't high. Worst case though, Stella should be done by the weekend at least with my current strategy. In the meantime, I plan on starting the lily rank grind tomorrow night.

A miracle has happened! Stella is actually finished ahead of schedule! Area 19 somehow got cleared on the second attempt, and then Area 20 took four. Well, with the only suffering part of this game done, let's breeze towards the plat!

In other news, I got the 200 plans trophy and Neptune's lily rank trophy. The rest of the lily rank trophies should follow suit soon. Then we'll really see a completion boost!

• Like 1

The lily ranks are all done, meaning that I officially did everything I planned to do this week! Along the way, I was also level grinding, getting my last character to level 99 just before I finished. I should be strong enough to do the credits grind now. We're in the home-stretch people!

The second member of my Pyramid Platoon has arisen, meaning that the Re;birth 3 plat is complete! Despite a minor setback from starting Jackbox 2 tonight, I have gotten a rather significant increase in completion this week. This week seems to be a rather light week, so getting to 71% completion before break is (probably) possible. Now, I just need to decide on what to do next.

Spoiler

Preparations are complete! Summoning my backlog troops new and old, I was able to reach 71% with relative ease. With only about 100 trophies before I reach my goal, I am now within striking distance of settling this once and for all.

@Kent10201 figured out my plan, so I might as well make it public. It was easy to guess, but our completion challenge has a loophole. Once we meet our completion goals, all games that previously didn't count will at that point count towards our final scores. That's right! Once I reach 72%, MeiQ will give me a 100-point boost, solidifying my lead! True, all Kent needs to do is reach 58% to pass me again, but that's where my platinum army comes in. I may have been unable to plat Guided Fate, but what points I couldn't get with one game I'll get with ten instead! Get prepared, because we're reaching the climax of this competition!