2018's Platinum Challenge of Destiny! Kent Wins!

Clash of Destiny!  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who will emerge victorious?

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

I wouldn't really consider me winning that interesting. :giggle:

If there's anything I've learned from past events, it's that it's not about the destination. It's about the journey. Let's see how long it takes you to catch up.

Just now, jem said:

If there's anything I've learned from past events, it's that it's not about the destination. It's about the journey. Let's see how long it takes you to catch up.

It'll take a single game for me to catch up. I just need to wait for more challenges to come out, because someone at Ubisoft decided that a trophy that requires you to get on daily for three months was a good idea. :shakefist:

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

It'll take a single game for me to catch up. I just need to wait for more challenges to come out, because someone at Ubisoft decided that a trophy that requires you to get on daily for three months was a good idea. :shakefist:

You say that as if the gap will still be under 65 points a month from now (if you can plat it by then :giggle:).

When I said depths of my backlog, I meant games from over seven years ago. Here comes another plat, Dead Nation! A game that proved difficult for me in the past was no match for my current skill level (no seriously; I was surprised by how easy this was for me this time around). Though as challenging as Dead Nation was, it might as well have been a point-and-click compared to what I have prepared next!

• Like 1

As the competition heats up, @Kent and I mutually agreed that we should spice things up a bit, and what better way to do that then to plow through the depths of our backlogs?

After some discussion, we decided that games started from today forward won't count until Kent and I reach completion rates of 58% and 72% respectively. We chose each other's numbers to provide an element of fairness to this. Now, let's see what feats we have to pull off to meet our goals.

We have reached the halfway point of the competition, and after weeks of hard work and determination, @Kent managed to scrape 60 points with Rayman Legends (the current top-scoring game between the two of us). He also has his Fallout Shelter plat waiting to be redeemed (currently sitting at 10 points).

I was pretty worried for a while, worried that this competition would die out after my initial 75ish-point bomb. I allowed a few months for catch up, but I'm done with showing mercy. To secure victory, I unleashed my secret technique, the Trophy Lottery!

That's right, the Trophy Lottery, where I put all of my games into a random generator and let fate decide how I'll obliterate my opponent. My first pick was Papo & Yo, and while it gave no points, it was a quick completion boost. Next was Grid 2, which is going swimmingly! I just got the hardest trophy in the game today, and assuming my reliable boosting partner comes through, I should have the plat by the end of this week.

• Like 1

Well, the offline for Grid 2 is officially done. It was a long ride, filled with CARazy races, but I had the drive to get the job done. Once again, a game that I thought would be a WHEEL challenge (I'm historically bad at racing games) turned out to be not so bad. Now, if only my boosting partner would come through.

While I wait, I unleashed my Trophy Lottery once more and got BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend for PS3, which is funny since that was the game I was slowly working on before I was pushed to try again. I still have a lot left to do, so we'll see how this goes.

Spoiler

44jem44 - Today at 5:23 PM

From a scale of 0-10, how dramatic do you want your plat post to be?

Kent - Today at 5:59 PM

So it seems @Kent popped another plat, this time Assassin's Creed Origins, worth a whopping five points. I was boosting Grid 2 with my good buddy @Lucas last night, and right before I popped that final trophy, I thought to myself, "Kent has worked pretty hard to catch up. Even if it's only for a day or two, I'd be a pretty poor friend not to give him a small taste of the lead". Sorry to do that to you Ol' Luc, but we'll have the online done pretty soon. ;)

Even so, with Fallout Shelter, Kent will hit the triple digits before long. @Kent I commend you for making it this far. I said before that I was done showing mercy, but now, I have no choice but to go all-out against you.

Spoiler

Do you remember this song? You should! It's what I listen to when I get serious! Unfortunately, BlazBlue will have to wait once more in place of my trump card. If you recall, I'm still in the middle of my skill-high. Now, I'll prove it by taking on challenges that were previously impossible! First up, The Guided Fate Paradox! My divinigram has been updated, and I'm going artifact hunting tonight! This is only the first of my hidden point bombs, so I hope you're prepared!

• Like 1

The last few days have been utter mayhem as I've died over and over again in Guided Fate. After about my sixth death, I decided to finish boosting the Grid 2 online for a shiny new plat. Once again, shout out to @Lucas for the assistance. Not only has my lead returned, but I am also the first above 100 points.

Even though I've had abysmal luck (for the most part) with holy artifacts and haven't been able to clear anything yet in Guided Fate, my efforts haven't been entirely in vein. Today, I made it to floor 96/100 in the intermediate dungeon (dying 5.5 hours into a run was extremely painful) and made it to Nisa for the first time in EX 3. I feel like with just a bit more grinding to improve my armor, both of these should be possible.

• Like 1

I didn't think I'd actually do it, but over five hours of gameplay later, I finally beat the intermediate dungeon. Unlocking advanced yesterday got me some nice 4-star equipment that made the dungeon much easier. Just like the last time, RNG wanted to spit in my face by having a toughie guard the portal to the 99th floor, but I spat right back because I brought an accelerator this time!

With powered up equipment, Nisa was a joke, so that makes two trophies down, 12 to go. I have most of the artifacts now that you can buy in the shop, but of course, I still haven't come across deep thinker yet, so I can't do the level up glitch. I probably shouldn't move on until I get that done, so I'm going to grind out 4-star holy icons/work on finishing my duel wield skills in the meantime.

• Like 1

I didn't think I'd be updating again so soon, but I decided to test-run Asagi's dungeon to get a feel for the difficulty, and I breezed right through it. I'm simply bewildered by how easy that was. (Maybe this plat is possible after all?)

From what I read online, Asagi is supposed to be harder than the advanced dungeon, though since that's a solid 8-hour grind, I'm going to save that for next weekend. Okay, NOW I'll do what I said I was going to do in my last post!

Fallout Shelter officially counts now, giving @Kent a whopping 4 points and allowing him to creep into triple-digits. Too bad for him. I also got 4 points today with P4AU.

Spoiler

Image result for blazblue counter

This week's handy helper of the week was @MStalker58, so props to him. Everyone give him some encouragement to plat this game too!

Spoiler

In all seriousness, I'm really surprised by my progress lately. Is this what being "skilled" feels like? I may actually win at this rate. :dance:

• Like 2

On 7/6/2018 at 0:27 AM, jem said:
  Reveal hidden contents

44jem44 - Today at 5:23 PM

From a scale of 0-10, how dramatic do you want your plat post to be?

Kent - Today at 5:59 PM

@Kent@Lucas

@Kent

Hide contents

Cool Serious Theme for the Warrior Back from retirement , a Platinum Battle between a young inspiring to be a Hero and a Keyblade master and a Back from retirement Warrior trained by many Famous Heroes and Villains.

• Like 1

At long last, with only seven artifacts left to find out of over 100, I finally found deep thinker! As we speak, I'm performing the level up glitch, getting almost a hundred levels in just a few minutes already! By the time I get home, I'll have both the level 9,999 trophy and the divinigram trophy. 5 down. 9 to go.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 5:27 PM, jem said:

First up, The Guided Fate Paradox!

Well, you are a much better gamer than I. I remembered playing through the first dungeon of this game. I really loved the story and the backstory of what the characters do, but the rogue-like dungeon crawling and mechanics were so complex and bored me way too easily. By the time I wanted to try again, I had sold my PS3 so I can't play it anymore as I am trying to avoid paying money for PS Now. :( I salute you for defeating such tough challenges! ✝️

I might try something like your Trophy Lottery just to get me forced to play games I had hidden in my library so I can get a higher platinum count.

Edited by DragonQuest238

Well, my PS3 crashed earlier today, and now it can't read discs. I've tried several remedies, but all have failed. Luckily, I have a backup PS3, but it'll be three weeks before I can go home and get it. Since I can't plat anything until I finish Guided Fate, I'll work on boosting my completion via digital games in the meantime.

Edited by jem

I am sorry, I edited the last post to compensate. I just made a false assumption because of your avatar. :(

I am trying not to mention anyone because I sort of harassed your rival a bit too much and he now hates me so he doesn't want me posting on any thread where he's posted. I can totally understand and I don't know if I am ever going to make amends with him so I have been trying to avoid him, but if he decides to join the Backlog Pyramid, I am sunk as butter because I wanted to participate in that event.

I do admit I did a few terrible things:

• Joining events and then dropping out of them for REASONS. He thinks I am a quitter.
  • Creating a thread where I behaved like a villainous slime and said mean things. I am not mean in real life, though, because my folks KNOW if I hurt someone and my dad can Hulk out if he gets angry. No, the Hulk would be terrified if Dad turned into a Hulk. I am being honest, you haven't had to altercate with my father, he is like a hundred Kents when I do something really stupid(like spend my entire bank account on a scam that I thought was legit, he said I'd have to eat ramen for two weeks since he wasn't paying for food! I broke down and cried for 20 minutes and then wept into my sister's cell phone.)
  • Created ten accounts, which is something that professional trophy hunters look down upon, and not believing me when I promise not to start over. To be fair, I don't trust myself on that either. :(
  • Created event threads in this forum that I abandoned. Ask him about The Heartless Hunters sometime. As such, I don't dare create a thread in the community forums for fear that the mods would delete it.

Given all of those evil things, I am not surprised that I made an enemy here. I know what I did was a violation of terms and someone who used to be my friend has every right to kick me out from rage. The only problem is that while I agree that I would demand a restraining order from someone like me after a while, a wronged forum member cannot influence the forums. I will promise Kent that I won't post here anymore after this post and I do promise not to post in any thread he has created ever, but if he wants to participate in the Backlog Pyramid or any challenge I want to be a part of it, he will agree with me to disagree and we won't be on speaking terms. Too bad, because I really do believe from my soul and speak with great honesty(may I break a limb and be consigned to a wheelchair for life if I am lying) that Kent is a great guy and a great fan of one of my favorite RPG series, and I don't want this hatred towards me to ruin his or my experience with Kingdom Hearts. :(

Edited by DragonQuest238

16 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

I am trying not to mention anyone because I sort of harassed your rival a bit too much and he now hates me so he doesn't want me posting on any thread where he's posted. I can totally understand and I don't know if I am ever going to make amends with him so I have been trying to avoid him, but if he decides to join the Backlog Pyramid, I am sunk as butter because I wanted to participate in that event.

Dude, you need to chill out. Saying "I'm not gonna mention anybody" and then immediately making it clear who you are talking about is not being respectful or even appropriate. 

• Like 3