Trophy Rarities

romanwestfall

Probably not the first to ask this, but kind of curious what answers I'll get so I might as well ask. I've noticed some of the rarer trophies I have were not really that hard to earn. Frustrating and luck based perhaps, but sometimes a trophy shown as rare online is not nearly as difficult as the rarity makes it out to be. Is it more a matter of being willing to put in the time for the trophy in some cases over actual difficulty?

• Like 1

Time spent can be considered a kind of dificulty. If you have a heap of time to play it isn't an issue but for a lot of casual players a trophy that takes a long time will mean they can't play anything else that night/week/month. Also sometimes RNG just hates you.

My rarer trophies come from PS+ as those games get a huge influx of people who play it once and then never come back. That will bump the rarity down a lot. On your question, yes a lot of it is just being willing to put the time in not dificulty

• Like 2

I think the problem is that many people associate "difficult" with "hard", but those are not the same thing. Kind of like everyone with ability to read could technically read masterpieces of literature, but very few actually do (I don't). Truth is, everything is difficulty. Reflexes are only a small part of it and even that can be grinded out with time (unless you have some medical condition) or cheesed with optimal strats copying videos. There's always going to be someone who will say things like "I could do that if I wanted to", but like in the actual world, that is first excuse a person will make up. Either do it, or don't, the rest is just talk.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, romanwestfall said:

Probably not the first to ask this, but kind of curious what answers I'll get so I might as well ask. I've noticed some of the rarer trophies I have were not really that hard to earn. Frustrating and luck based perhaps, but sometimes a trophy shown as rare online is not nearly as difficult as the rarity makes it out to be. Is it more a matter of being willing to put in the time for the trophy in some cases over actual difficulty?

Would you be willing to say which of your ultra rare trophies were specifically time-consuming and not very challenging?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, det_gittes said:

Would you be willing to say which of your ultra rare trophies were specifically time-consuming and not very challenging?

My Kung Fu Is Stronger
Gain Mastery of All Fighters

:)

Max Fidelity
Max out every song to level 50!!

Car Collector
Fill your Garage with 1,000 cars.

Genocidiary
Kill 53 597 Zombies

Wind of Battle
Reached over 87,600 m in total movement distance in battle.

Best Pals
The Wake-up Club has been successful 365 times.

Genocidiary
Kill 53 596 Zombies

Platinum Pet
Unlock all other trophies

;)

24 hours
Total play time: more than 24 hour

Edited by Smashero
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dessane said:

Time spent can be considered a kind of dificulty.

1 hour ago, mecharobot said:

I think the problem is that many people associate "difficult" with "hard", but those are not the same thing. Kind of like everyone with ability to read could technically read masterpieces of literature, but very few actually do (I don't). Truth is, everything is difficulty. Reflexes are only a small part of it and even that can be grinded out with time (unless you have some medical condition) or cheesed with optimal strats copying videos. There's always going to be someone who will say things like "I could do that if I wanted to", but like in the actual world, that is first excuse a person will make up. Either do it, or don't, the rest is just talk.

very well said both of you, fully agreed.

i have made a few threads here a while ago which involved voting/posting about "hard" games. most threads were about posting/voting which the hardest rpg is, and even while i explained detailed information in the topic that with hard i meant all kinds of hardness, a few people still didn't get it.

another fun example is i usually try to rate the difficulty of a platinum of games i played a lot (nothing official, just for own uses) but i always try to rate it with a combination of time, skill and missables. this because they are all belonging to the main part of the difficulty of a game imo. :) 

4 hours ago, romanwestfall said:

ok on topic: imo rarity differences within the same game give a good idea which of the trophies because it's based on all players that have played the game. 

but if you want to watch the rarity in general i don't think it's of any use at all. this because it's often based on how much people want to play the game.

example: when you watch my current rarest trophies you see my rarest trophies are the bunny racing trophies from star ocean the last hope. those trophies do take a bit of time to get, but they aren't really that time consuming, i have lots of other trophies that will take waaaay more time to get. while for example none of my plats (except dungeon siege 3) are even in the top 5 and ds3 isn't even my hardest, my hardest one is dragon age origins, and my first 2 plats FFXIII2 and DA2 were also much harder then dungeon siege.

another example: the trophies i mentioned that are in my top5 are about 2-3% while i have also played dark souls (not platted yet) which is known for it's difficulty, and yet it's 17,06% rarity. so if i could believe rarity measures difficulty, it should mean getting a platinum trophy in dark souls is about 8 times easier then getting the bunny trophy in star ocean, i don't think that's true :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dessane said:

Time spent can be considered a kind of dificulty. If you have a heap of time to play it isn't an issue but for a lot of casual players a trophy that takes a long time will mean they can't play anything else that night/week/month. Also sometimes RNG just hates you.

My rarer trophies come from PS+ as those games get a huge influx of people who play it once and then never come back. That will bump the rarity down a lot. On your question, yes a lot of it is just being willing to put the time in not dificulty

The PS+ does make since, looking at how some of the games I've played have a really high number of players compared to those that have completed the game. Can agreed on the RNG factor. Big reason why I have yet to finish Ni no Kuni despite beating the game and only needing some final stuff for the Platinum. xD

13 hours ago, mecharobot said:

That is true, everything being difficulty in it's own way. Certainly know that what's hard for me is easy for other people depending on where your skills lie. Have tried all kinds of stuff in games and even then there are some stuff I'm better at than others. In general, I've found that I do better in games that let me move at my own pace compared to games that depend faster actions or anything competitive like fighting games.

12 hours ago, yiazmat50112254 said:

ok on topic: imo rarity differences within the same game give a good idea which of the trophies because it's based on all players that have played the game. 

but if you want to watch the rarity in general i don't think it's of any use at all. this because it's often based on how much people want to play the game.

example: when you watch my current rarest trophies you see my rarest trophies are the bunny racing trophies from star ocean the last hope. those trophies do take a bit of time to get, but they aren't really that time consuming, i have lots of other trophies that will take waaaay more time to get. while for example none of my plats (except dungeon siege 3) are even in the top 5 and ds3 isn't even my hardest, my hardest one is dragon age origins, and my first 2 plats FFXIII2 and DA2 were also much harder then dungeon siege.

another example: the trophies i mentioned that are in my top5 are about 2-3% while i have also played dark souls (not platted yet) which is known for it's difficulty, and yet it's 17,06% rarity. so if i could believe rarity measures difficulty, it should mean getting a platinum trophy in dark souls is about 8 times easier then getting the bunny trophy in star ocean, i don't think that's true :)

That is true, looking at my rarest trophies the rarest I got is from a no damage run in TorqueL but that's not really a feat when you can easily reset the game to nullify any damage you take. xD

13 hours ago, det_gittes said:

Well, I think the best example of that quota would be my platinum for The Escapists. That game was more a matter of luck and time consumption then skill. All the trophies were more beating the levels or meeting specific requirements that were easy enough to do.

• Like 1