Steam vs Playstation

Borsuk_2

I considered switching to steam with a steam console because I prefer the overall setup of consoles, E.g. Holding a controller, playing on bigger screen... 

I know most of these things are possible with a pc now, steam has that function but I can't afford to spend so much money on maintaining a system. I'd rather spend a few hundred bucks in one go and then have it for a couple of years. I got my ps4 when I was doing financially well - now I'm broke af but can still play :)

I played portal 2 on steam with an xbox controller and the main reason for me to go against this is that my hands are too small for that controller :D I'm having trouble reaching the left joystick with my thumb comfortably, my fingers are short.

I know there would be more solutions to this but it's also a matter of how much effort I'm willing to put into it. The answer is: not much, especially when there is a different and easy solution: simply play PS.

Steam machine looked interesting to me at first bc console-principle and great library, but 1. They're very expensive 2. Now I've already been on PS for so long...I'm a creature of habit.

I do occasionally play on steam. Stuff like this war of mine or portal. But I could never get into playing shooter on pc lol 

I played games almost exclusively on PC or the earlier version of it, C64 etc. I only had a Atari VCS2600 console and one SEGA. So I was kinda happy with it for many years. But recently it started to annoy me. And one major annoyance is in fact Steam. I bought Half-Life 2 back when it came out and it was the first game that required Steam. At first it was weird to be online or "unlock" something you bought in a store but it was ok. After a few years Steam turned into a full blown digital game shop and it was fun, of course the main reason were those ridiculous sales back then. But it all turned to shits when they turned steam into what it is today. A system that harasses the user with so much unnecessary information nowadays. Buy this and buy that! And look here is a curator who knows what game you should buy better then you do! And of course trading cards! Yuk! And a level system for a game shop! Really, who needs all this bling and crap? I need a system that sits quietly in the back and does what I want and not the other way around. And that's exactly what Sony does with the PSN and the PlayStation. Sure the service has lots of things they could improve but overall I prefer its simplicity. And yes I am talking about the web store too. Same goes if you compare the XBox UI with the PS4 UI, the later is just simpler and easier to handle then the other.

And a fun fact, as of today I am free of steam I terminated my account after deleting 60+ games in the recent weeks. The only alternative for me in terms of a gaming platform for PC is actually gog.com. It's free of all that nonsense and there is no DRM whatsoever. Sure it doesn't have a million games like steam but they also don't have a million games that no one really needs. And they are getting bigger every month. Which means that more companies see them as a valid platform to sell their games, not all of them but more every year. My only hope is that they don't go the same road as Steam did.

• Like 2