Strategies for getting through the Nightmare of Mensis

Trugo314

I get that this is a soulslike game and it's going to be hard. I've got stuck plenty of times and died repeatedly. This, however, is the first time I've been stuck with absolutely no idea how to progress. I've looked at other forums and they all say to just run past everything. When I do this, I'm out in the open and the frenzy sniper kills me. If I stop to use sedative, one of the mobs starts attacking me. If I stop to attack a mob, the sniper gets me. I made it to the spiders once, I've killed all the tiny spiders, but the big one gets stuck in the door. It's pincers can reach me from way far back so running in to attack leads to me just getting hit. I do pitiful damage for a +7 greatsword as well. If I try to summon nobody comes, yet I've been invaded every attempt but one because of the sinister bell. If everything else fails I'll just end up farming but I really don't want to do that.

I'm not there myself yet but you know those walls with the faces on them? Hiding behind those will keep you from getting frenzied. The frenzy meter will rise a bit after hiding but it will go back down. Basically try and hide behind something when you can so that way you won't get frenzied. When it comes to the enemies you have to either be quick about them or you can take advantage of the frenzy sniper and they can be killed that way.

I've been using this guys videos whenever I'm unsure of what to do in an area.

Also out of curiosity, do you have your Network settings to worldwide? I've seen some people say they can't get anyone to co-op with but I've been able to get partners just fine as well as join other people. Sometimes I have to ring the Beckoning Bell twice but otherwise I've been getting partners or joining others even in the least likely of places.

20 minutes ago, 2G53 said:

Unfortunately, I don't remember much about that part of the game but I read through this and it gives some tips for the exact spot you are stuck at. 

http://m.ign.com/wikis/bloodborne/Nightmare_of_Mensis

3 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

I'm not there myself yet but you know those walls with the faces on them? Hiding behind those will keep you from getting frenzied. The frenzy meter will rise a bit after hiding but it will go back down. Basically try and hide behind something when you can so that way you won't get frenzied. When it comes to the enemies you have to either be quick about them or you can take advantage of the frenzy sniper and they can be killed that way.

I've been using this guys videos whenever I'm unsure of what to do in an area.

Also out of curiosity, do you have your Network settings to worldwide? I've seen some people say they can't get anyone to co-op with but I've been able to get partners just fine as well as join other people. Sometimes I have to ring the Beckoning Bell twice but otherwise I've been getting partners or joining others even in the least likely of places.

Appreciate the help here, I've got a kirkhammer with a fire blood gem on it, I'll start using that. It's at this point where I compare playing this game to rubbing my face on a cheese grater.

Just now, Trugo314 said:

Appreciate the help here, I've got a kirkhammer with a fire blood gem on it, I'll start using that. It's at this point where I compare playing this game to rubbing my face on a cheese grater.

What level is the Kirkhammer? Have you done any of the optional areas like Cainhurst yet?

Just now, Trugo314 said:

+6 I believe? I'm pretty sure the only optional area I've done is Old Yharnum

Ah okay. You might want to level it up a bit to +8 I would say. Personally I would switch to Ludwig's Holy Blade though, but it's up to you. I mainly like LHB because it's convenient when I want to switch between a greatsword and a one-handed blade.

Anyway yeah, you might also want to go to the other optional areas too. Cainhurst will give you lots of Blood Echoes and Bloodstone items for upgrades. Plus you can get the option to join the Vilebloods and get some of their weapons too. You might also want to do the stuff in the Upper Cathedral Ward. I did that before going into the DLC.

1 minute ago, Redgrave said:

Ah okay. You might want to level it up a bit to +8 I would say. Personally I would switch to Ludwig's Holy Blade though, but it's up to you. I mainly like LHB because it's convenient when I want to switch between a greatsword and a one-handed blade.

Anyway yeah, you might also want to go to the other optional areas too. Cainhurst will give you lots of Blood Echoes and Bloodstone items for upgrades. Plus you can get the option to join the Vilebloods and get some of their weapons too. You might also want to do the stuff in the Upper Cathedral Ward. I did that before going into the DLC.

I use Ludwig's Blade more prominently, it's +7. I'll go back and do some of those areas too, I just need blood chunks because I've only got 1 at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Trugo314 said:

I use Ludwig's Blade more prominently, it's +7. I'll go back and do some of those areas too, I just need blood chunks because I've only got 1 at the moment.

Cainhurst is your best bet then. There are some enemies that have a chance of dropping those and there's some that you can just pick up from dead bodies. Upper Cathedral Ward had quite a few from what I remember too.

Frenzy can be a pain at times, grab one of these https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Deep+Sea and maybe equip some resistant armour if you want (though the rune will do most the work). You can run through and probably won't need to even pop a sedative until you're pretty safe. Or, with your Frenzy resist you can take it slow and kill your way through without worrying too much about getting slapped with Frenzy.

It seems to me, a lot of new players forget about their runes or armours entirely, you have options for armour and runes that can be game-changers, especially resistances. I used the Visceral Up ones most of the time but if I entered areas with high amounts of Poison or Frenzy etc. equipping a +200 resistance makes a huge impact.

I had some trouble going through the very first section of Menses my first time too, so I'll give you the same tips my boyfriend gave me. After I did these I got through it pretty easily.

-When you start out, look to see where the frenzy effect is coming from and hide behind the rocks to avoid it. The frenzy effect will go down after you've been hiding a bit. 

-Equip frenzy resistant runes if you have the space for them.

-The Ashen Hunter Set you can get from Djura has the highest frenzy resist out of all of the outfits, wear it if you have it.

-Don't bother with the spiders if you can't take them. Use the stairs, then drop down behind them and run to the next hall.

Also if you haven't done the optional areas yet, you should try Cainhurst Castle or go after the Witch of Hemwick before you try to tackle Menses. 

@Trugo314I guess I should have offered earlier, but if you want to co-op any of the areas apart from Mensis (at least yet, since at the moment I'm doing The Old Hunters DLC before I do endgame stuff) I don't mind helping. I should be able to help anyway depending on time zones and whatnot. Plus I want an excuse to do more jolly co-operation :P But yeah, not sure why you wouldn't be getting help when you try to summon other people.