Quick method for grinding trophies & other tips

Sonic 1 Challenge: Clear the level in under a minute and pass the goal marker. DO NOT JUMP RIGHT BEFORE THE "SONIC HAS PASSED ACT 2" MESSAGE. It will glitch the challenge and you will go to Act 3 without a cleared notification. You have to do the challenge again.

Sore Knuckles: Use Stage Select code and just beat the level on easy without continuing.

Alex Kidd One in Three trophy: Start up Janken in Options and use Quick Save right after he says "Pon!" Be sure that you're right and you get the win. If you lose, do it again. When you get one where you win, the weight falls on the opponent. The weight triggers the win count. Keep Quick Loading this save and the counter will go up. Repeat to 50 wins.

All the Magics: Fire up GA1 and on the Player Select screen, perform a Quick Save. Pick a character, then Quick Load. The count goes up one when the beginning level music starts because your player starts off with 1 magic, increasing it by 1. Repeat to 200.

Also, only magic bottles count in the first level of each game. For some reason, when you do the campfire bonus game, the magic you collected from then on does not count. Clearly a glitch. 

All other games, use cheats if available to make the process easy for you.

Hope this helps!

• Like 4

Shinobi 3 Keep your powder dry - Go into options set shurikens to 00 and use invincibility cheat of pressing X on these songs in this order: He Runs, Japonesque, Shinobi Walk, Sakura, Getfu.

Golden Axe 2 Fly you fools! - Get to the enemy and spell dropper in first level by the wooden bridge kill the spell guy and position yourself behind the enemy and chuck/kick him off the bottom of the screen. Rewind with L2 and repeat.

So one thing I got quickly by accident was the Trophy for Columns.

So my first time playing Columns was completing the challenge "Take It From Here" once I got the 5,000 score I decided I was gonna go for the trophy "Five Large" which is "Gain a high score of at least 5000 on easy".

After I completed the challenge for Columns I then started up Columns normally and after starting a regular game on "Easy" the trophy "Five Large" popped before I even got 1 point, 

On 2.6.2018 at 3:10 PM, ScoldingComa7 said:

So my first time playing Columns was completing the challenge "Take It From Here" once I got the 5,000 score I decided I was gonna go for the trophy "Five Large" which is "Gain a high score of at least 5000 on easy".

After I completed the challenge for Columns I then started up Columns normally and after starting a regular game on "Easy" the trophy "Five Large" popped before I even got 1 point, 

Weird, for me the trophy popped right as I was doing the challenge, I didn't have to go to columns

To get a level select option on Streets of Rage 3, move the cursor to BATTLE, press Up then X and keep them held down. The cursor should be over the OPTIONS Tab. Now, with Up and X still held down, press options on the controller and the stage selector should now be available in the menu.

Edited by CannibalX666X
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 8:10 AM, ArchoNils said:

Weird, for me the trophy popped right as I was doing the challenge, I didn't have to go to columns

Oh wow I didn't know that. Might have been where I did the Columns challenge first and after completing it I got the Challenge Accepted first. 

On 6/2/2018 at 8:10 AM, ScoldingComa7 said:

This can also be done for Shining Force. Just beat the Challenge and as soon a you do, start up Shining Force cart and you'll get "The eagle has landed" without going through the game again.

Don't know if this was mentioned, but I thought I'd throw this in.

• 11 months later...
All the Magics  To grind for 200, instead of rewinding and having to kill both and collect 2 as the guide mentions. Hit one where it arcs up in the air and lands right on top of you. Then just simply hold the rewind button and let it fall on you and back again. I got this within 5 minutes using this method. After patch as well which was a bonus.

I did everything in just over 10 hours. 

Some of the challenges were tough, particularly Golden Axe 3 were you have to defeat two hulking brutes without dying. 

For Toejam & Earl I recommend the Rocket Skates to reach the secret island. If my memory is correct the presents you find are random every game. The earlier you find the skates the better. They are fast so for people who never played this gem they can be hard to control. But you can definitely reach the island after dropping down in the southwest corner of level 1 faster than you will with the Inner Tube. 

Fun collection of SEGA classics that I can’t recommend enough to any retro old school fan.

• 4 years later...