Original Street Fighter Special Moves Never Work!

Jesus H. Christ the original Street Fighter game is complete and utter crap. Even setting the difficulty at the lowest setting, the computer is super fucking cheap. The difficulty I'm having the most with is pulling off the special movies which no matter how many times I perfectly try to do Ryu's three moves, only seem to work at random. Anyone else having this difficulty? Doesn't seem to matter if I use the D-Pad or the analog, I can't ever get a simple Hadouken to work like it should. 

I think this game has never had good input, but it's also a thing with a couple of SFII, some of the inputs are a little more difficult to pull off than they were on the home ports. These are arcade ports after all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DRistheman85 said:

I used the d pad and button mashed hoping for a special move, eventually I was able to get some off to beat adon & sagot.

Yep. That's pretty much what I had to do to beat Sagat, and even that was pure luck because it took me about 100 rematches to finally be able to get multiple Hadoukens to fly and actually do damage. Since often, I'd hit him with the Hadouken and he wouldn't even block but it'd do zero damage. Oh well. That game is over. Never played the original and I see why. It's total fucking garbage. It's so very apparent the difficulty is so high and the computer is so cheap that it was just made to suck quarters from the player back in the day. Not even a little bit fair.

1 hour ago, DEMON said:

I think this game has never had good input, but it's also a thing with a couple of SFII, some of the inputs are a little more difficult to pull off than they were on the home ports. These are arcade ports after all.

You're definitely right. I did notice in replaying SFII compared to Championship Edition and Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers on Genesis like when I was a kid that the inputs are pretty lousy. Oh well. I got through that stupid original game. Fortunately the gameplay and input are evolving as I'm making my way through the other Street Fighters.

There's a trick to doing this and it's called "negative edging."

Basically, what you want to do is hold down a particular punch button, do the QCF movement, and let go of the button immediately when you are on the forward for QCF.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Leonmyster
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, grimydawg said:

None of that works.....  the game was designed that way.

Try harder, it works. I was having trouble doing the motion for the special moves and it became so much easier when I negative edged.

4 minutes ago, Leonmyster said:

Try harder, it works. I was having trouble doing the motion for the special moves and it became so much easier when I negative edged.

I know it works.  There's no try harder.  You can't do a fireball motion consistently in the first SF game because of the design of the game.

On 6/5/2018 at 1:59 AM, davidstubbs said:

Street Fighter 1 doesn't have difficulty settings... does it?

When you're selecting a game, press square to access the options menu for that game. You can adjust the difficulty, timer, etc.

I adjusted it to the lowest difficulty for Street Fighter and I felt like it made no difference in the later levels. Lee and Gen were absolutely wrecking me since their attacks were so fast and they were jumping around the stage so quickly. The easiest method I've found is to stay as far back in the corner as possible, throw fireballs and cross your fingers.

The real problem is when you make it to Thailand where you then have to face Adon and Sagat. I must have spent an hour and a half on Adon alone because of his damn jaguar kick and him perpetually blocking my fireballs. He hits hard and does his jaguar kick very frequently which makes it extremely hard to hit him with a fireball. And even when you do get off a fireball on him when he's on the ground, he blocks it most of the time. Sagat was equally tough because of his tiger knees which close the distance quickly and his tiger shots.

The difference between the default difficulty and lowest difficulty was incredibly small in my opinion. I made it to Adon on my first try on the default difficulty but ended the night without having beaten him. I lowered it to the lowest difficulty the next day and made it back to Adon without too many issues. After about 20-30 minutes or so, I finally beat Adon and made it to Sagat. I never faced Sagat on the default difficulty but felt utterly overmatched on the lowest difficulty. It took me about half an hour until I finally downed him.

In my opinion, the difficulty doesn't matter if you can't perform fireball and DP consistently. If you can at least do the fireball correctly, then the fights become much easier leading up to Thailand. The Thailand fights are still tough with fireballs, but being able to do DP consistently makes the fights a joke because the DP can knock off at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the opponent's life.

If you really want to win, learn to do the DP consistently. Otherwise, you're going to have a bad time.

Hope this helps.

The original Street Fighter is infamous for how tight the windows for directional inputs on special moves are. They’ve made them more lenient with every additional installment in the series.

5 hours ago, Leonmyster said:

When you're selecting a game, press square to access the options menu for that game. You can adjust the difficulty, timer, etc.

I adjusted it to the lowest difficulty for Street Fighter and I felt like it made no difference in the later levels. Lee and Gen were absolutely wrecking me since their attacks were so fast and they were jumping around the stage so quickly. The easiest method I've found is to stay as far back in the corner as possible, throw fireballs and cross your fingers.

The real problem is when you make it to Thailand where you then have to face Adon and Sagat. I must have spent an hour and a half on Adon alone because of his damn jaguar kick and him perpetually blocking my fireballs. He hits hard and does his jaguar kick very frequently which makes it extremely hard to hit him with a fireball. And even when you do get off a fireball on him when he's on the ground, he blocks it most of the time. Sagat was equally tough because of his tiger knees which close the distance quickly and his tiger shots.

The difference between the default difficulty and lowest difficulty was incredibly small in my opinion. I made it to Adon on my first try on the default difficulty but ended the night without having beaten him. I lowered it to the lowest difficulty the next day and made it back to Adon without too many issues. After about 20-30 minutes or so, I finally beat Adon and made it to Sagat. I never faced Sagat on the default difficulty but felt utterly overmatched on the lowest difficulty. It took me about half an hour until I finally downed him.

In my opinion, the difficulty doesn't matter if you can't perform fireball and DP consistently. If you can at least do the fireball correctly, then the fights become much easier leading up to Thailand. The Thailand fights are still tough with fireballs, but being able to do DP consistently makes the fights a joke because the DP can knock off at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the opponent's life.

If you really want to win, learn to do the DP consistently. Otherwise, you're going to have a bad time.

Hope this helps.

DP you mean quarter circle forward right? Or is DP shoryuken Z motion?

Also if I change the difficulty and then load a save where I'm in the middle of an arcade run, does the difficulty change or do I have to start over?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 2:54 PM, Justin__Harris said:

Yep. That's pretty much what I had to do to beat Sagat, and even that was pure luck because it took me about 100 rematches to finally be able to get multiple Hadoukens to fly and actually do damage. Since often, I'd hit him with the Hadouken and he wouldn't even block but it'd do zero damage. Oh well. That game is over. Never played the original and I see why. It's total fucking garbage. It's so very apparent the difficulty is so high and the computer is so cheap that it was just made to suck quarters from the player back in the day. Not even a little bit fair.

Well that’s practically most games in general from the 80s. They were designed that way to take your money. Those companies would lose money otherwise. 

Street Fighter II I have a soft spot for but I don’t think I’ll be buying this collection. Mostly a collection of old games that I already played, plus the series went downhill for me starting with Street Fighter 3 amongst all the rehashes Capcom likes to make. 

Plus it sounds like getting that belt for the trophy is going to require a good amount of work, since only a select few people have it.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Spaz said:

Well that’s practically most games in general from the 80s. They were designed that way to take your money. Those companies would lose money otherwise. 

Street Fighter II I have a soft spot for but I don’t think I’ll be buying this collection. Mostly a collection of old games that I already played, plus the series went downhill for me starting with Street Fighter 3 amongst all the rehashes Capcom likes to make. 

Plus it sounds like getting that belt for the trophy is going to require a good amount of work, since only a select few people have it.

Word. The original Street Fighter was the only one I had never previously played, so I had zero idea about how damn stiff the controls were. Eventually I figured it out, but while I can appreciate the original Street Fighter... fuck that game. Haha.

I recall owning others in my local arcade way back when I was a young lad and you'd fight for quarters, but replaying these 'arcade perfect' ports really just shows how intentionally unforgiving the games can be against the computer. And it's clearly been years since I've played because I'm complete garbage online, even playing my ace game, Street Fighter Alpha 3. That Blue Belt trophy is going to be a pain in the ass, but eventually I'll get it. I always do. But in the mean time, I'm too busy with my Nintendo Switch and PSVR games to care about it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Justin__Harris said:

Word. The original Street Fighter was the only one I had never previously played, so I had zero idea about how damn stiff the controls were. Eventually I figured it out, but while I can appreciate the original Street Fighter... fuck that game. Haha.

I recall owning others in my local arcade way back when I was a young lad and you'd fight for quarters, but replaying these 'arcade perfect' ports really just shows how intentionally unforgiving the games can be against the computer. And it's clearly been years since I've played because I'm complete garbage online, even playing my ace game, Street Fighter Alpha 3. That Blue Belt trophy is going to be a pain in the ass, but eventually I'll get it. I always do. But in the mean time, I'm too busy with my Nintendo Switch and PSVR games to care about it.

Got to agree.

Street Fighter 2 was the game that made the fighting genre a sensation. Extremely difficult to master though. I imagine there's someone out there good enough to beat most people with Dhalsim. Never liked Guile or Balrog because their moves are charge based.

I was far too young to really play much at the arcades but when I was around 9 - 10 years old there were still a few arcades scattered about in various pizza places and skating rinks, I ended up playing X-Men and The Simpsons among other arcade games.

It was difficult to get far in any arcade game because if you were like me and most kids you had an allowance. Plus people didn't get paid nearly as much money in minimum wage, which meant less quarters to spend on games.

In the end I preferred the NES, SNES and N64 games, because you can try again no matter how many times you've lost.

I can't even win the first few fights in any fighting game, that's how bad I am. Good luck to you on the Blue Belt trophy.

Can you compete with any multiplayer game in the collection? I would think Street Fighter II: The New Challengers would be the game most people would pick.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 5:46 PM, Spaz said:

Got to agree.

Street Fighter 2 was the game that made the fighting genre a sensation. Extremely difficult to master though. I imagine there's someone out there good enough to beat most people with Dhalsim. Never liked Guile or Balrog because their moves are charge based.

I was far too young to really play much at the arcades but when I was around 9 - 10 years old there were still a few arcades scattered about in various pizza places and skating rinks, I ended up playing X-Men and The Simpsons among other arcade games.

It was difficult to get far in any arcade game because if you were like me and most kids you had an allowance. Plus people didn't get paid nearly as much money in minimum wage, which meant less quarters to spend on games.

In the end I preferred the NES, SNES and N64 games, because you can try again no matter how many times you've lost.

I can't even win the first few fights in any fighting game, that's how bad I am. Good luck to you on the Blue Belt trophy.

Can you compete with any multiplayer game in the collection? I would think Street Fighter II: The New Challengers would be the game most people would pick.

I wanna say I was around 8-10 when I was playing at the arcades. Back in the days when your mom could leave you in the arcade section of a Fred Meyer (Kroger, Ralph's, etc.) and you didn't worry about people snatching you away. But sometimes I'd get one quarter, and if I was lucky, my mom would splurge and give my brothers and I a whole dollar! Haha. That's why we would battle in Street Fighter II a lot because if you had two quarters and kept winning, the loser would have to buy the next round. Those were good times. But yeah, I think Sega Genesis ports of Street Fighter Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam eventually steered me away from the arcade scene.

You can't compete with any game in the collection. I believe it's Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike. I thought I'd be set, because I rocked Street Fighter Alpha 3 as Ken or Charlie all the fucking time, but man, oh man. I just don't have it anymore. I probably never did.