Nintendo 3DS Games

AllSugarRain

12 minutes ago, AllSugarRain said:

Hi. I'm considering buying a Nintendo 3DS and would like to read opinions about Pokemon and Zelda games. Which games of these franchises would you recommend?.

Thanks.

For 3DS: 

Pokemon X or Y

Pokemon Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire

Pokemon Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon (don't bother with the regular Sun & Moon, they are basically the same)

I also enjoyed the two Mystery Dungeon games for 3DS. Some Pokémon games for the regular Nintendo DS I'd recommend are Pokémon Platinum, Pokemon Black 1 & 2 and Pokémon Conquest

For 3DS:

Zelda A Link Between Worlds

Zelda Ocarina of Time

Zelda Majora's Mask

Haven't played any Zelda games for the regular Nintendo DS, so I can't help you there

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jelloycat said:

I haven't played the Zelda Games, but as far as Pokemon goes I found Sun/Moon and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire to both be really fun games. If you're looking for a side game, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon is pretty good as well. 

Thanks. I will make sure to play them.

2 minutes ago, ZeroGeass1 said:

For 3DS: 

Pokemon X or Y

Pokemon Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire

Pokemon Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon (don't bother with the regular Sun & Moon, they are basically the same)

I also enjoyed the two Mystery Dungeon games for 3DS. Some Pokémon games for the regular Nintendo DS I'd recommend are Pokémon Platinum, Pokemon Black 1 & 2 and Pokémon Conquest

For 3DS:

Zelda A Link Between Worlds

Zelda Ocarina of Time

Zelda Majora's Mask

Haven't played any Zelda games for the regular Nintendo DS, so I can't help you there

Thanks. Didn't know that the N64 Zeldas were remastered. This is a good opportunity to see how good they were.

Do you own a normal NDS and just ask for 3DS titles or would normal NDS titles fall into your question as well?

Personally I liked Sun & Moon. It was a fresh wind in the Pokemon franchise. But I haven't played the Ultra versions nor have I finished a lot of Pokemon games in general. Grew up with the second generation and haven't played a lot of the later games. (If you don't own a NDS, , Platinum was really good, Black and White is quite interesting as well and the Heartgold/Soulsilver is a good remake)

Concerning Zelda, I haven't played any of the 3DS titles, so I can't tell a lot about it but if you have an interest into the games in general and played some of them, then I don't think, it would be a mistake to buy the 3DS titles. From the normal NDS titles I only finished Phantom Hourglass and although it is sometimes tedious, I had a lot of fun with it.

If you haven’t played them, I recommend the Game Boy Color Zelda games on Virtual Console. Link’s Awakening DX, Oracle of Seasons, and Oracle of Ages. The SNES version of A Link to the Past as well, but it’s only downloadable on “*New* Nintendo 3DS/2DS”.

A Link Between Worlds is also amazing, but definitely play ALTTP first. Personally didn’t enjoy playing the N64 remakes on 3DS, but some of the time adjustment and character tracking features in Majora’s Mask 3D are dead useful.

For Pokémon, even if you’ve played them before, the first two generations are on Virtual Console. Definitely get Crystal no matter what, and Yellow has enough unique features to make it worth a play for anyone unfamiliar. Also a huge fan of the Pokémon Trading Card Game video game for Game Boy Color, which is thankfully also on Virtual Console. I haven’t played the proper 3DS generations or remakes to comment.

Edited by crauuecrauue
  • Like 1

My favorite Pokémon games are Pokémon Black 2 & Pokémon White 2. After that I found Pokémon X & Y the most enjoyable. Personally I found Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire and Sun & Moon a bit boring. I haven't played the latest versions Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon but they are supposed to be improved versions of Sun & Moon or something. If you're interested in online play and tournaments, definitely get the latest generation games as the older gens have their online services shut down. 

Haven't played any Zeldas on 3DS but I recommend Ocarina of Time based on the N64 version I've played. 

If you're interested in RPGs in general, maybe have a look at Bravely Default and Bravely Second? Persona Q is a great game too. Nintendo 3DS has a fantastic game library with a lot of exclusive quality titles. :)

6 hours ago, crauuecrauue said:

If you haven’t played them, I recommend the Game Boy Color Zelda games on Virtual Console. Link’s Awakening DX, Oracle of Seasons, and Oracle of Ages. The SNES version of A Link to the Past as well, but it’s only downloadable on “*New* Nintendo 3DS/2DS”.

A Link Between Worlds is also amazing, but definitely play ALTTP first. Personally didn’t enjoy playing the N64 remakes on 3DS, but some of the time adjustment and character tracking features in Majora’s Mask 3D are dead useful.

For Pokémon, even if you’ve played them before, the first two generations are on Virtual Console. Definitely get Crystal no matter what, and Yellow has enough unique features to make it worth a play for anyone unfamiliar. Also a huge fan of the Pokémon Trading Card Game video game for Game Boy Color, which is thankfully also on Virtual Console. I haven’t played the proper 3DS generations or remakes to comment.

Oh wow, I completely forgot about the virtual console games. Those are definitely nice ones to look into too, especially considering how cheap they are compared to the new games. 

I've played all the Pokemon Games, and X & Y were by far the most enjoyable and fresh. Lots of great features, the trainer customisation and trainer videos were my favourite part, and the sub events were fun too. 

If you are an old time fan, then Alpha Sapphire/ Omega Ruby are excellent. Gen 3 was my favourite as a kid and I had more than 300 hours logged onto my Emerald version back then and had completed the Pokedex in my sapphire and emerald, so AS/OR were great and nostalgic. The secret bases, new soaring function and ability to get a large number of legendary pokemon was great. 

Personally I disliked Sun/Moon, the main characters looked to kiddish, the battle mechanics became overly complex and the new Pokemon designs were not very appealing. They are the newest gen, but out of the series they were the worst/ most boring imo. 

In terms of Pokemon spin offs, I've played the Ranger and Mystery Dungeon games. Ranger is only DS, while MD is on 3DS also, so I'd probably recommend MD if you're looking for a 3ds game. You play as Pokemon instead of a trainer and recruit other pokemon into your team. It's a dungeon crawler, pretty easy and chill. The other spin offs like Detective pikachu, Art Academy and Pokemon Rumble are more for little kids, so I wouldn't recommend them really. 

Haven't played Zelda so I can't say anything about those, but they are extremely popular and highly rated.

In terms of other 3DS games to recommend, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, Persona Q, Tales of the Abyss,  Harvest Moon/ Story of Seasons games, Fire Emblem series and the Shin Megami Tensei series are good. My favourites were Tales of the Abyss and KH action RPGs. 

FF Explorers is mixed, I liked it but there are some who didn't so it's a gamble. 

• Like 1