Syncing Trophies - incorrect timestamps or not?

Deluziion90

Hi all!

I've got a question regarding trophies on a vita without Wifi/3g

For example: I'll be playing a game in a long flight without wifi and finish a game with around 20-30 trophies.

If my plane lands and I'm connecting again with Wifi should all my trophies auto-pop with correct time stamps? I've been following disputes(thumbs up for @MMDE) for a while and I just don't want to be flagged for incorrect time-stamps or anything crazy like. Asking this as I have no clue how the vita works with the trophy system.

Currently I dont own a vita yet but I'm really considering one but I just want to be sure as I'll be using it most of the time offline.

Thanks for any feedback!

The Vita works the same as the PS3 and PS4, the trophies pop when you earn them even if you're not connected online. When you earn a trophy the Vita records the time according to the internal clock even when offline. When you connect to the PSN it will then compare the internal clock with the PSN time and change it accordingly as long as you logged in before at least once since you started the Vita (if you don't the trophies will appear with a missing timestamp which won't get you in trouble since it just means you obtained them before connecting your PSN account to the console).

Example: Let's say that the internal clock is 2 hours behind the PSN time, so the Vita says its 2am and PSN says its 4am.

1. You earn a trophy when the internal clock says the date is 11th June 2018 at 9am. If you check the trophy list you'll see the date is the same as the internal clock.
  2. You log in to PSN and sync. The vita and PSN will compare their times and fix it accordingly. If you check your profile online, like the one on this site, you should see that the date of the trophy will now be 11th June 2018 at 11 am.

As long as you don't use CFW or any tools that change the timestamp of the trophies or auto pop the trophies (not counting about methods that are possible in-game like cross-save with the PS4) you don't have to worry.

• Like 1

If you sync the PS Vita at least once before disconnecting it from the net you should be good to go and trophies will have the proper timestamps.

There are only two things that might cause some trouble, resulting in missing timestamps:

1. Sony releases a new firmware in between

Some firmware-updates caused the "Missing Timestamp"-problem for trophies that weren't synced before updating the firmware. Seems to be a rare case that this happens, though.

2. The battery is discharged for a longer time (more than a few weeks) and you earn a trophy before syncing the Vita to the servers

I don't know if there's a coin battery or if the internal clock runs on the normal battery but if the Vita is discharged for a too long period, it might lose it's state and you have to sync it again, otherwise all trophies up till the first sync will have no timestamps (--> personal experience :| )

Otherwise, there shouldn't be any risks.

Edited by Crimson Idol
  • Like 1

Great to hear guys thanks for taking your time! This is exactly what I needed to know!

I'm currently talking with someone to get a used vita with software version 3.68. If the deal goes on I'll factory reset it immediatly anyways and synchronise stuff at home. My trip is going to be halfway July so plenty of time to play around with the Vita before that.

My concern for the trophy syncing offline is atleast answered so thanks again! I'll probably hotspot it anyways with my phone when I can

Regarding CFW or any of that stuff is not something I'm even thinking about. My account is way to precious for me to get it screwed up ?.

3 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

How is this NOT a big deal?! 

Because not everyone plans them out and those who don't usually won't be bothered if they are a bit off. I'm also not sure exactly if missing timestamps would affect milestones, I lost track of how it ended up effecting profiles

30 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

Because not everyone plans them out and those who don't usually won't be bothered if they are a bit off. I'm also not sure exactly if missing timestamps would affect milestones, I lost track of how it ended up effecting profiles

The only milestones that aren't affected are the ones for first trophy and first plat (assuming someone has a complete game without any timestamps, but this is only a guess). All other milestones (and the "level up"-history) are adjusted. IIRC this was a change to PSNP that happened somewhere in early 2017.