New features in update 1.17 released July 24/2018

Anyone who has played today will get the message in-game, but as an FYI to anyone who hasn't logged in for a while, here's what it had to say:

" **July 2018 Update Content

Thank you for your continued support of METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN.

The following update has been rolled out during today's maintenance.

Content:

- You can play as Quiet to infiltrate FOBs

- New Online Development items added

- New difficulty level added to "Event FOBs"

- Fixed several issues and adjusted overall game balance

* New Online Development Items added in this update will be unlocked one by one after maintenance periods in the weeks to come."

If you don't care for FOB/online gameplay you can safely ignore it. I usually prefer not to invade other players because I'd rather not piss anyone off by stealing their staff & resources, and also avoid the risk of having mine taken so I do like the added challenge of the Hard mode for FOB events. The GMP and resource rewards are increased which go further in helping you develop weapons and building Mother Base/FOBs, as well as higher Event Point rewards which can be exchanged for S++ and S+ soldiers (since they can't be found out in the field).

The new development item this week is a placed weapon called the Dark Matter Generator, which emits a ball of energy and damages anything/anyone it comes in contact with. It's only usable in FOB infiltrations, not the main game. It takes 2.5 real-time days to research so I haven't been able to try it out yet, but it doesn't strike me as terribly useful just from the written description.

Anyway, it might be an incentive for some of you to fire up the game again...or not...but I suppose that can be discussed further here, heh.

• 1 month later...

You need a metric ton of resources and development time in this game, which is imo best filled with raiding. You don't need 4 FOBs loaded with 16 nukes, 1-2 will give you significant gains and you can just buy resources by winning the automatic PF tournaments with a higher level base. Imo it's a lot more fun than resetting that annoying base mission or reloading checkpoints with fulton ballista walker and whatnot glitches, which might or might not have been patched. I never grinded once in single player, but there options for those who want the trophies with minimal online involvment.

Edited by mecharobot

• 3 weeks later...
On 26.8.2018 at 4:49 AM, Spaz said:

Is this the same trophy wise?

This game looks fantastic. But going to be a while because I prefe to get a series done in chronological order (MGS 2 - 4, Peace Walker, etc)

Wise and right choice, dude! But don't forget Metal Gear Solid 1, even if it does not have trophies. It's a must to understand the story better and believe me it's worth it in any kind of way! All that is left to say: HAVE FUN!