6.00 Beta now LIVE

JapanimeGamer

31 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

You are definitely right about my own reasons for wanting it. 1f600.png However, I think if Sony took the time to add the feature they would make sure that it wouldn't screw over your trophy data, or add a warning message for players. It would be the player's fault if they delete a trophy list that has closed servers and tried again or some other unobtainable trophy.

As for cheating, I don't quite know how the site keeps records on cheaters, but if you catch them in the act, recording it should be the same. It would also probably help wash away the negative viewpoint of hidden trophies since most people think of cheaters when they see hidden trophies. It would also benefit those "unaware" that they join a hacked lobby in something like Black Ops II because they could just delete it for those type of well-known hacker infested games.

Sony would make sure to patch a ton of games? Fantasy world? :D 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Sony would make sure to patch a ton of games? Fantasy world? :D 

Maybe you're thinking of something else because it shouldn't require game patches only system patches. To be clear just deleting trophy lists completely, while subtracting the what is deleted from your total.

I think your thinking of some of the games that are server based for trophies. Could simply produce a warning message "Once you delete this list trophies will no longer function for X game." It would be more important for games moving forward to keep the feature in mind, which sony would probably enforce going forward as a standard. There are tons of workarounds, just takes some efforts on the software engineers side.

7 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Maybe you're thinking of something else because it shouldn't require game patches only system patches. To be clear just deleting trophy lists completely, while subtracting the what is deleted from your total.

I think your thinking of some of the games that are server based for trophies. Could simply produce a warning message "Once you delete this list trophies will no longer function for X game." It would be more important for games moving forward to keep the feature in mind, which sony would probably enforce going forward as a standard. There are tons of workarounds, just takes some efforts on the software engineers side.

A complete mess. Won't happen! :P 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

It would be the player's fault if they delete a trophy list that has closed servers and tried again or some other unobtainable trophy.

This statement right here is the reason why it will never happen.

Because it is always someone else's fault when things go wrong and SONY are never going anywhere near that huge can, err, barrel of worms.

Honestly now, PSN name changes are 10,000 times more likely to ever happen. The moon being announced as made out cheese is actually even more likely to ever happen.

2 minutes ago, MMDE said:

A complete mess. Won't happen! :P 

To each their own.

1 minute ago, JapanimeGamer said:

This statement right here is the reason why it will never happen.

Because it is always someone else's fault when things go wrong and SONY are never going anywhere near that huge can, err, barrel of worms.

Honestly now, PSN name changes are 10,000 times more likely to ever happen. The moon being announced as made out cheese is actually even more likely to ever happen.

PSN name changes were confirmed at the PlayStation experience, the question is more of a when than an if.

I doubt this is that high of a priority, but it is a pretty requested feature overall. I think we're much more likely to see major trophy changes once they add a trophy tracking feature like Xbox. I'm pretty sure that is the second most requested feature on PSN after name changes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

To each their own.

PSN name changes were confirmed at the PlayStation experience, the question is more of a when than an if.

I doubt this is that high of a priority, but it is a pretty requested feature overall. I think we're much more likely to see major trophy changes once they add a trophy tracking feature like Xbox. I'm pretty sure that is the second most requested feature on PSN after name changes.

PSN name was confirmed? Didn't know that. If what you refer to is what I think it is, all they said was that they would look into it and they were hoping to get it done / maybe something in the works. However, that is likely to just be like they do in Japan. It could also be that you could change username, but online games need to know your username to track progress etc, and so the way the games are written to obtain this username can't change and they would need to still get the same username of you to recognize you. This means that you wouldn't be able to have a different name in these games. Maybe they add some new function to the library for new games to recognize you by the new display name in the future, and that this is some kind of requirement going forward, but I think you see where the mess in this is. As said, they might do what Japan has, where you got a different display name, but still the same username.

Edited by MMDE

OK, PSN name changes have not actually ever been confirmed, they have been strongly hinted at and not completely denied but at no point has anyone at SONY (as of the time of me typing this) said 'Yes, PSN name changes are coming, you will soon be able to change your PSN ID'.

We was told we would know by PSX 2018 for sure one way or the other, and I believe we will find out in this 6.00 update actually and I also believe that YES PSN name changes will happen, but we have not actually been told this officially in so many words.

In regards to PSN ID / user name changes, here is what I think will happen.

1. PSN name changes will be introduced in firmware 6.00

2. You can change your existing user name for AAA to BBB assuming BBB has not already been taken.

3. AAA will always remain as your 'ID' on the server and this will never change, even though you and everyone else see you as BBB, it is after all the ID you chose way back when but it has now been applied with a 'layer' on top of it to 'cover' it over so as to appear to have given you a new name.

4. Because of 3. you will not be able to change AAA to BBB and then use AAA on a new account, because AAA remains a used ID permanently tied to the account it was first created for.

5. You could however change AAA to BBB and then on the same account change back to AAA if you wanted to, as the account has not changed and AAA is tied to that account.

That's how I think SONY will do things in the coming weeks / months.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

2 minutes ago, MMDE said:

PSN name was confirmed? Didn't know that. If what you refer to is what I think it is, all they said was that they would look into it and they were hoping to get it done / maybe something in the works. However, that is likely to just be like they do in Japan. It could also be that you could change username, but online games need to know your username to track progress etc, and so the way the games are written to obtain this username can't change and they would need to still get the same username of you to recognize you. This means that you wouldn't be able to have a different name in these games. Maybe they add some new function to the library for new games to recognize you by the new display name in the future, and that this is some kind of requirement going forward, but I think you see where the mess in this is. As said, they might do what Japan has, where you got a different display name, but still the same username.

OK, PSN name changes have not actually ever been confirmed, they have been strongly hinted at and not completely denied but at no point has anyone at SONY (as of the time of me typing this) said 'Yes, PSN name changes are coming, you will soon be able to change your PSN ID'.

We was told we would know by PSX 2018 for sure one way or the other, and I believe we will find out in this 6.00 update actually and I also believe that YES PSN name changes will happen, but we have not actually been told this officially in so many words.

I don't know why you are so into this trophy deletion thing irrespective to how good it might be for some people it would be a complete nightmare for SONY and in all honesty (again) it just is not going to happen, ever for so many reasons not least the ones previously mentioned by other people here.

Ok maybe it was a bit further back then I remember. I actually have zero interest in the name change feature, but do think it's one of those no brainer features that should be included in PSN.

As for the trophy deletion idea, I'm just sharing my idea/hopes. I've already come to terms that I will never get 100% completion rating on my account and have no intention of restarting. However, like any feature that get's added, the more people that talk about it, the more likely it is to occur. 

And for any reason you can provide to why it would not be a feature, I can answer it with simple workarounds. Just because you're not a fan of the idea shouldn't affect it. As an engineer myself (not a software engineer), all you do is trade one set of problems for another. That's just how it works.

We all saw that video, that is what we are referring to when we said he hinted at it, and not actually confirmed it.

Shawn states when asked if PSN name changes will ever happen (from my memory so please forgive any inaccuracies) I hope by next year (2018) you wont have to ask me that question again.

^^ Does not confirm anything, we are led to believe it is a positive response, but it might not be. One thing is sure, he did NOT confirm anything, please understand that.

• Like 1

While I don't think we'll ever be able to delete trophies, one thing I'd like to be able to delete is 0% games from your profile. Yes, you can delete 0% trophy lists, but those games remain visible under Profile > Games, unless there's some secret I don't know about.

Not really a big deal, but it makes it look like I've played a lot more games than I have.

I'm very, very leery about PSN name changes. Both for the feature to ever become available, and for Sony to not muck things up completely.

We all saw that video, that is what we are referring to when we said he hinted at it, and not actually confirmed it.

Shawn states when asked if PSN name changes will ever happen (from my memory so please forgive any inaccuracies) I hope by next year (2018) you wont have to ask me that question again.

^^ Does not confirm anything, we are led to believe it is a positive response, but it might not be. One thing is sure, he did NOT confirm anything, please understand that.

Your memory is about as good as mine on this. We can definitely disagree on what a confirmation looks like on this, but I take it as a strong indicator that Sony is working on the feature. You don't give a strong direct hint like that unless it is being actively worked on.

I would definitely agree with you if he used the term "maybe", but he said let's hope you don't have to ask me that next time (though we are definitely past PSX 2018 lol). 

As MMDE mentioned, they have something like that in Japan, but it's pretty half-assed/messy. I assume its a pretty complicated issue to recode PSN to such an extent and as he also said, many games have stats and unlocks tied to your PSN name, which complicates it.

2 hours ago, JapanimeGamer said:

To be fair that will only hide the game from someone else viewing the other persons profile.

I am against deleting trophies, but it would be great to see us be able to hide any game we want from even ourselves.

If you want to completely hide your hidden trophies then they'll need to make an option to show hidden content and i don't think they're interested in it lol.

4 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

While I don't think we'll ever be able to delete trophies, one thing I'd like to be able to delete is 0% games from your profile. Yes, you can delete 0% trophy lists, but those games remain visible under Profile > Games, unless there's some secret I don't know about.

Not really a big deal, but it makes it look like I've played a lot more games than I have.

I'm very, very leery about PSN name changes. Both for the feature to ever become available, and for Sony to not muck things up completely.

The "secret" is to delete your profile, or format your system storage, at least on PS3 and Vita.

However if you delete a profile on PS3 you'll lose all activations for your games, your themes, avatars, and locally stored savegames. And to restore the activations you would need to redownload everything (or start redownloading to trigger the activation process)

Edited by Lance_87

Just now, sepheroithisgod said:

Your memory is about as good as mine on this. We can definitely disagree on what a confirmation looks like on this, but I take it as a strong indicator that Sony is working on the feature. You don't give a strong direct hint like that unless it is being actively worked on.

I would definitely agree with you if he used the term "maybe", but he said let's hope you don't have to ask me that next time (though we are definitely past PSX 2018 lol). 

As MMDE mentioned, they have something like that in Japan, but it's pretty half-assed/messy. I assume its a pretty complicated issue to recode PSN to such an extent and as he also said, many games have stats and unlocks tied to your PSN name, which complicates it.

OK I think we have some miscommunication going on.

I do think PSN name changes are coming.

However we have not been told this for a fact as yet.

I would like to see us have more control over our trophies (I said as much in a previous reply) whereas we should be allowed to hide our trophies from ourselves it we wanted and not just from other players.

But allowing players to delete trophies is not a good move and SONY will know that, and as such it will never happen.

6 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

The "secret" is to delete your profile, or format your system storage, at least on PS3 and Vita.

However if you delete a profile on PS3 you'll lose all activations for your games, your themes, avatars, and locally stored savegames. And to restore the activations you would need to redownload everything (or start redownloading to trigger the activation process)

Yeah, that sounds like Sony...

This is on PS4, though. I thought they'd have a solution that isn't the equivalent of throwing all of your furniture onto the front lawn just to move an end table.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

This is on PS4, though. I thought they'd have a solution that isn't the equivalent of throwing all of your furniture onto the front lawn just to move an end table.

Can't you just restore licenses on PS4?

37 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Ok maybe it was a bit further back then I remember. I actually have zero interest in the name change feature, but do think it's one of those no brainer features that should be included in PSN.

As for the trophy deletion idea, I'm just sharing my idea/hopes. I've already come to terms that I will never get 100% completion rating on my account and have no intention of restarting. However, like any feature that get's added, the more people that talk about it, the more likely it is to occur. 

And for any reason you can provide to why it would not be a feature, I can answer it with simple workarounds. Just because you're not a fan of the idea shouldn't affect it. As an engineer myself (not a software engineer), all you do is trade one set of problems for another. That's just how it works.

Well, that was what I referred to. I watched it live, and it was as I said. :P And I actually got a degree in software development... ;) 

Edited by MMDE

45 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I assume its a pretty complicated issue to recode PSN to such an extent and as he also said, many games have stats and unlocks tied to your PSN name, which complicates it.

This is how they could combat the problem...

1 hour ago, JapanimeGamer said:

1. PSN name changes will be introduced in firmware 6.00

2. You can change your existing user name for AAA to BBB assuming BBB has not already been taken.

3. AAA will always remain as your 'ID' on the server and this will never change, even though you and everyone else see you as BBB, it is after all the ID you chose way back when but it has now been applied with a 'layer' on top of it to 'cover' it over so as to appear to have given you a new name.

4. Because of 3. you will not be able to change AAA to BBB and then use AAA on a new account, because AAA remains a used ID permanently tied to the account it was first created for.

5. You could however change AAA to BBB and then on the same account change back to AAA if you wanted to, as the account has not changed and AAA is tied to that account.

This is one way that all PSN accounts could be tracked on the server regardless of name changes.

Because the original name has not changed as far as the server is concerned, and so all stats, data etc etc would remain intact as if nothing had happened and the only recoding that would need to be done is the ability to put a layer onto existing accounts to give the impression of a new ID.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

19 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I've deleted a few games off my profile and never had to format a system for them to disappear off the list, is this a newer problem?

18 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Can't you just restore licenses on PS4?

Probably. I just don't want to go through all that just to delete a couple games from my profile.

3 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I've deleted a few games off my profile and never had to format a system for them to disappear off the list, is this a newer problem?

I don't think so. I have games on there that I started up over a year ago.

Deleting trophy lists only seems to remove the game from Trophies. It still appears under Games.

11 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Probably. I just don't want to go through all that just to delete a couple games from my profile.

I don't think so. I have games on there that I started up over a year ago.

Deleting trophy lists only seems to remove the game from Trophies. It still appears under Games.

On ps3 or ps4?

33 minutes ago, JapanimeGamer said:

This is how they could combat the problem...

This is one way that all PSN accounts could be tracked on the server regardless of name changes.

Because the original name has not changed as far as the server is concerned, and so all stats, data etc etc would remain intact as if nothing had happened and the only recoding that would need to be done is the ability to put a layer onto existing accounts to give the impression of a new ID.

I'm not an expert on the matter, but I think the problem is that older games will "probably" not recognize the BBB username(they were not coded for it) and still display AAA because they have no way to read the new BBB without a patch. My guess is that it won't work on PS3/Vita games, but be a PS4 and moving forward change(which I'm sure some would hate) where all games will recognize the new name system they implement.

Edit: It's pretty hard to think about this without actually knowing how PSN is coded and how it communicates with games.

Edited by sepheroithisgod